Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road outside The Drop Inn - Rush

Options
  • 25-07-2014 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is it insane to have legitimate parking spaces outside The Drop Inn pub opposite Hoares Service Station in Rush?

When cars are occupying these spaces, which they generally are, it's a very, very tight squeeze for two cars to pass in either direction.
    If a truck, bus or large tractor comes along, you have to wait for it to pass, holding up traffic behind you.

In my opinion, this short stretch of road as it currently stands, with the on street parking, is simply not wide enough for two vehicles to pass safely.

Your thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Always been that way and always been there in terms of parking although in recent years the lines appeared to officially mark the spots.

Having lived in Rush all my life I have never noticed it being a major delay spot generally, except on certain occasions.

But I will say its a brave person who parks there or tries to squeeze by with traffic coming that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Its a disaster of a spot by times. Not bad at the moment but when the schools start back and you get a wet morning Iv seen traffic backed up to Eurospar and to the church the other side. Throw in a tractor with a big Rotavator on the back!! I would never park there.

Often wondered if a one way system would not be better in that area? Up the Sandy road (back street) and down the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Good Idea Leo, although the one way system is a workable idea, I honestly think double yellow lines on that short stretch would solve the problem and cause a lot less inconvenience. I'd be up for either or though!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

Parked in a space outside the Drop Inn one evening while wife went to Joe's Chip Inn (because there wasn't any parking outside the chipper). I'm telling you it wasn't good for the heart with all the traffic whipping by with just a whisker between door mirrors.

The spaces were allocated to that area during the Rush Traffic Management Plan, which was implemented around 6 years or so ago. The questions about allocating spaces outside pubs were raised at the time but the logic was that there is a couple of residences there too. Like it or not, that was the response.

The other logic from a planning perspective is that a section of road like that could be used as traffic calming...before you lynch me, bear with me on this. Because the road narrows significantly it is used to slow traffic down by making them wait until it is safe to pass. Anyone driving through that section of road knows that there aren't many motorists waiting for the way to be clear. Another spot where this strategy is in place is at the railway bridge at Rush & Lusk train station (on the Lusk side). There is no pull in area for the bus there because it is designed to stop or slow traffic that would be driving behind the bus. Although it doesn't account for the psychos who have driven from the city in heavy traffic and by the time they get there are willing to take the chance in overtaking the bus, which can be dangerous. So sometimes "culture eats strategy for breakfast." :)
    Good Idea Leo, although the one way system is a workable idea, I honestly think double yellow lines on that short stretch would solve the problem and cause a lot less inconvenience. I'd be up for either or though!

Advertisement