Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can i become more hard working in school?

• 25-07-2014 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm going into 5th year and i didn't put in that much effort in homework learning and such. i get too lazy and not motivated enough. I don't get good grades i normally just get average grades or below average with i'm not proud of. I want a job that pays well and with that i need to do well in my leaving cert. We are a month away from school and i want to start the studying now where do i start and how can i get more motivated??
    should i start reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Keep folders/copies for notes (personally, I prefer folders) and keep them neat. Take note of everything the teacher says. As soon as you get home from school each day, write a summary of what you learnt in each subject and put these notes into your folder, before you even start your homework. Do homework away from all distractions (tv, computer, people). Put a do-not-disturb sign on your door if you have to. Take breaks often and if you get hungry eat something. It sounds obvious but if you're anything like me you'll forget, and hunger doesn't help concentration. Read over your notes every night, just briefly. If you do 7 subjects, pick one a night.

Keep records of tests, look upon c's,d's and fails as stepping stones. Ask your teacher how you could improve and where you went wrong. Once you start getting b's and a's don't get complacent, keep reading over your notes.

You haven't mentioned what subjects/levels you're doing, but I recommend starting off with all HL. If you're still struggling by Christmas, drop down.

Figure out what you want to do after school, look at cao courses, see how many points you need (remember, the points are the lowest that got into the course last year. Aim higher!), and figure out what grades you can aim for, that you can actually get. Don't worry if you can't quite get one subject. Do your best, and try harder on the others, to make up points. Pick a course based on interest, not money. You'll spend a lot of time working, might as well enjoy it. Get a list of courses, cross off whatever you have no interest in and go from there.

Above all, relax! You're starting 5th year, so you have plenty of time. I didn't study till Easter, and I've had to spend the last two months scribbling notes. But don't get too relaxed. Keep in mind you only have two years, and that will fly by. I find that keeping a calendar on your wall, somewhere you'll see it every day, with sticky notes of tests etc (or write on the calendar itself, I find sticky notes help just because I can rip them off and feel like I'm achieving something.)

For now, take it easy, maybe read over any plays and novels for English/Irish. Don't worry if you can't figure them out. If you do a language, try Duolingo (a website). If you do history, start looking at ideas for your project essay (1500 words for HL). Read newspapers for English if you prefer reports. If you like short stories, maybe look at ideas and start writing some.

And finally, your word for the next two years should be Persevere! Remember; you can only ever get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Make sure you get plenty of sleep, and that you get some exercise. This will allow you be more alert.

Watching too much TV, playing heaps of video games, booze.....this will all impair your sleep, which will in turn affect your ability to concentrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

ny1997 wrote: »
    I'm going into 5th year and i didn't put in that much effort in homework learning and such. i get too lazy and not motivated enough. I don't get good grades i normally just get average grades or below average with i'm not proud of. I want a job that pays well and with that i need to do well in my leaving cert. We are a month away from school and i want to start the studying now where do i start and how can i get more motivated??
    should i start reading?

The fact that you've posted this shows your willingness to do well which is a great start. The people who do well in school are those who are determined and motivated. Unfortunately not everyone has this motivation but I believe it can be gained!

Keep on top of the work from the start, ensure that nothing slips past you that you do not understand, if there is something - ask your teacher for assistance or another friend. Study throughout the year, I didn't do a whole lot midweek but would've done a bit if I was free on the Saturday or done a bit in the mornings. Whenever you are disappointed with a test, have the attitude that you can improve and ensure you have learnt from your mistakes ... for example...

I found Chemistry really tough at the start of the year, I was putting in so much extra time into the subject but still wasn't hitting where I wanted to be. It went that way most of the year and I kept working as hard, I was wondering if I would ever reep the rewards. It all came together for my Summer exams which was a difficult paper when I got an A1.

If you're motivated you'll do just fine, it's not an exceptionally difficult year but there's alot of stuff to cover :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Getting into a routine is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

ny1997 wrote: »
    should i start reading?

Your going into 5th year and should try your very very best in the Leaving Cert but hopefully you also gain the maturity over the next two years to realise that there are so many ways to get a well-paying job that don't involve the Leaving Cert or even education. The amount of pressure some people put on themselves with an ''all or nothing'' attitude. You could get an average Leaving Cert but once your in college a level 8 degree is a level 8 degree no matter what Trinity or UCD brainwash you with.

I'm not saying you should settle for an average Leaving Cert, you should try and maximise your potential but please bear in mind that this 'race to the top' Irish education system is hogwash and there are many different paths available to you.

Anyway to answer your question, the first thing you should look at is your subject choice. Are you happy with the subjects you've chosen? If not, you can change in September but only within the confines of your school timetable.

For 5th year, make sure you do every bit of homework you get. If that's all you do in 5th year then you will be nicely set up for 6th year. Aside from that, be pro-active. If you don't understand something in class, ask your teacher, take notes in class on what the teacher is saying. Especially if they use a ''lecture-style'' approach to teaching.

Also, OP what subjects are you planning on doing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement