Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm Insurance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

whelan2 wrote: »
    out of interest will you stay with fbd or look elsewhere for another quote, our renewal is up in early October and i am expecting a big increase in premium:(
    After the effect that dealing with FBD had on my health, i doubt they will ever again see a red cent of my money.

Unless they give me the cheapest quote and not just match the cheapest quote, that is.

I doubt i will even ask them for a quote to match the other quotes i am getting, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

5live wrote: »
    After the effect that dealing with FBD had on my health, i doubt they will ever again see a red cent of my money.

Unless they give me the cheapest quote and not just match the cheapest quote, that is.

I doubt i will even ask them for a quote to match the other quotes i am getting, tbh.

You wanna try negotiating with the National Roads Authority for a real health destroying experience, last offer 150% more than the first offer.
    Like the FBD assessors I suppose it's their job or they won't get the next job. They'll always test your metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

would you wait for renewal quote in post before going to get quotes from others?

rangler1 wrote: »
    You wanna try negotiating with the National Roads Authority for a real health destroying experience, last offer 150% more than the first offer.
    Like the FBD assessors I suppose it's their job or they won't get the next job. They'll always test your metal
    Luckily, out here in the a**hole of nowhere, the NRA are the very least of my problems:D.

On FBD, they valued my buildings first day and then they had the gall to tell me i had them undervalued. Having their cake and eating it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Reggie. wrote: »
    I got away from FBD a few years back as they were charging way too much. I had everything with them at one time and now I've nothing

+1 on that I have alot more cover now and half the price wouldn't go back broke window on tractor rang insurance lad came out next day and changed it no hassle .😆

Luckily, out here in the a**hole of nowhere, the NRA are the very least of my problems:D.

On FBD, they valued my buildings first day and then they had the gall to tell me i had them undervalued. Having their cake and eating it.:rolleyes:

Have had that one too. After telling me that, he got aright shock when I told him that I had someone from the local office revaluing the year before.
    Had to be sorted 'inhouse' then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Question on insurance, anyone know an estimate on how much one employee would cost insurance wise for a mainly sheep farm?

Wheelinone wrote: »
    Hi guys. What are the options these days for personal accident insurance for farmers?

IFA have minimal insurance included in their membership but you can get it topped up a bit (at a cost)
    http://www.ifa.ie/membership/member-benefits/legal-liability/

would you wait for renewal quote in post before going to get quotes from others?

Normally would but the schedule of cover would be the same as last year bar an increase in building valuations. I have that photocopied and will send it out soon to get an idea of cover levels and prices before current policy expires in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Cran wrote: »
    Question on insurance, anyone know an estimate on how much one employee would cost insurance wise for a mainly sheep farm?

Depends on wage roll. Employer Liability is a percentage of the wages paid to employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

ravima wrote: »
    Depends on wage roll. Employer Liability is a percentage of the wages paid to employees.

OK its only for a part time worker, what would be normal %?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

I did the same. All insurance companies are supposed to inform claimants that they are entitled to get an assessor in to help with the claim but FBD only informed me of that fact with the first (insulting!) offer.

Delayed the whole process by months waiting for FBD to come to assess first day and then taking months to respond to the assessors findings.

What company did you use? I used Pro Insurance Claims, very happy with the results.

Deano7 wrote: »
    What company did you use? I used Pro Insurance Claims, very happy with the results.
    I used a local company, recommended by a friend in the industry. I can PM the name if someone wants it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

I used a local company, recommended by a friend in the industry. I can PM the name if someone wants it.

No it's grand, just outta interest how much did they charge?

Deano7 wrote: »
    No it's grand, just outta interest how much did they charge?
    Just over E400 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 PatrickJoseph

Reggie. wrote: »
    I got away from FBD a few years back as they were charging way too much. I had everything with them at one time and now I've nothing

Who did you go with instead? Still nervous about leaving them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Why are you nervous?
    Do you feel the same way re. your motor insurance,meal supplier etc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Zurich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Had house van tractor and farm with FBD up to 2 years ago , shopped around and got 30 -35 % reduction in quotes . FBD have had a captive market in farmers and rural dwellers for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 PatrickJoseph

Why are you nervous?
    Do you feel the same way re. your motor insurance,meal supplier etc etc?

No but you know yourself - you see lads going on here like there's no-one but FBD. Seems like a few are going with Zurich so may give them a try

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rohoso

I did the same. All insurance companies are supposed to inform claimants that they are entitled to get an assessor in to help with the claim but FBD only informed me of that fact with the first (insulting!) offer.

Delayed the whole process by months waiting for FBD to come to assess first day and then taking months to respond to the assessors findings.

By law you must be advised that the adjuster that the insurance company appoints will be representing THEIR interests and not yours and that you can appoint your own assessor if you wish. Its the only way to go - I got offer on a large chimney claim from FBD at €5,500 - assessor finished up with just over €12,000.

No but you know yourself - you see lads going on here like there's no-one but FBD. Seems like a few are going with Zurich so may give them a try

Usually stay with them for the farm, but OH is always trying to get the car cheaper.....still with FBD though.
    tbf we're in a group that gets a 17% discount so it's hard for her to do better

Waiting for my renewal letter from Aviva.Should come this week or next.
    Had FBD and Zurich reps. out out to price for the exact same cover last week so will report on the prices.

Just used last years schedule to price(with a few ammendments) FBD and Zurich and will ask Aviva to price exact same cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Renewal notice out from Fbd this am quote up 680 euros on last years cover.heading for a chat with broker in town later.house insurance also arrived ,already have a quote from Zurich 165 cheaper than Fbd.
    I had a small claim for storm damage with Fbd in February for 2200 euro.will Zurich or avivia count this as a big negative??.first claim outside of a few broken doors on tractor in my dads time.

Renewal notice out from Fbd this am quote up 680 euros on last years cover.heading for a chat with broker in town later.house insurance also arrived ,already have a quote from Zurich 165 cheaper than Fbd.
    I had a small claim for storm damage with Fbd in February for 2200 euro.will Zurich or avivia count this as a big negative??.first claim outside of a few broken doors on tractor in my dads time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

mahoney_j wrote: »
    It never did and I dont expect it so neither.... thats my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

U have to tell Zurich that u had a claim other wise u won't be covered

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

~I read somewhere that fbd were 'over-exposed' to the storms last winter because they insure more rural property, feckers aren't slow to pass on their losses.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

You have to tell them, but €2200 is too small to affect a quote.
    Had that problem where FBD renewal's when up ALOT. Got a quote from Zurich, it was 60% of Fbds quote, with what seems to be better cover. FBD rang and I told them I was going elsewhere but they were out the following day. Their new quote was within €100 of Zurich.
    Think I'll go with Zurich, and both can requote me next year. If I stay with FBD, it will be very hard to go Zurich for a quote next year.

Had that problem where FBD renewal's when up ALOT. Got a quote from Zurich, it was 60% of Fbds quote, with what seems to be better cover. FBD rang and I told them I was going elsewhere but they were out the following day. Their new quote was within €100 of Zurich.
    Think I'll go with Zurich, and both can requote me next year. If I stay with FBD, it will be very hard to go Zurich for a quote next year.
    FBD have a huge difficulty, having to pay out massive amounts in claims and have to recoup all that over the next few years.

Any other insurer don't have to recoup that money so can offer the same/better cover at a huge discount to FBD.

I know where my money is going!

• Advertisement

Was with broker yesterday and have request gone to avivia and Zurich for quotes on like For like basis with Fbd..both were informed of my claim and Broker reckons it will have no difference as claim was small .he also said I should get a considerably better quote as Fbd have took a big hit last winter from storm claims and that money will have to be recouped

insurance rep here now, do you have livestock theft insurance? or are the terms and conditions too much, excess is 500 euro max claim 50,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

insurance rep here now, do you have livestock theft insurance? or are the terms and conditions too much, excess is 500 euro max claim 50,000

I have it but that's only on 12 head. Better safe than sorry in my mind

Promised to come back with my (unscientific) survey and so here it is.

Priced FBD Aviva and Zurich for the farm plus 2 dwelling houses.
    All due this month and all on the one policy.
    Priced each firm for EXACTLY the same cover ie both the values and the items quoted on were the exact same.

Aviva(my present insurer) came in the cheapest.Zurich were 650 more expensive whilst FBD were 925 dearer than Aviva.
    Those differences were on a drystock farm with not a major amount of machinery or buildings and 2 standard 4 bed houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

With aviva now as felt better value than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Hi guys,

Just bumping this thread if ye don't mind!

I was wondering has anyone been getting different quotes lately regarding the above. Annual renewal due & FBD are looking for almost €5K ( up €1100 from last year) Rep coming next week for the annual haggling match and I was just wondering who between Aviva & Zurich is more competitive??

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Got my renewal from FBD for my house (private), jeep and tractor insurance.
    During the year I took the jeep off the road (a 98 2.8 Pajero) and now have a 01 Opel Combo van (1.7) as it is cheaper to run. FBD want €595 for renewal for the van :eek::eek::eek:
    I have a full no claims bonus and never had a accident or claim in nearly 30 years of driving.
    I got quotes from insuremyvan.ie and broker in Cavan - both open drive, windscreen cover and trailer cover. insuremyvan.ie €256 and broker is €260.
    I phoned FBD last week to see it they would match these quotes and am still waiting for an answer.
    I am going to get other quotes for house insurance which currently is €676 with FBD. Tractor is an old MF168 and costing €120 or there abouts.
    I have always insured with FBD but I think that times are a changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Irish insurance costs to rise sharply from now on.
    20 to 25% price hike due to (mostly) legal and ancillary costs.

Anyone with shares in FBD will explain why.

Base price wrote: »
    Got my renewal from FBD for my house (private), jeep and tractor insurance.
    During the year I took the jeep off the road (a 98 2.8 Pajero) and now have a 01 Opel Combo van (1.7) as it is cheaper to run. FBD want €595 for renewal for the van :eek::eek::eek:
    I have a full no claims bonus and never had a accident or claim in nearly 30 years of driving.
    I got quotes from insuremyvan.ie and broker in Cavan - both open drive, windscreen cover and trailer cover. insuremyvan.ie €256 and broker is €260.
    I phoned FBD last week to see it they would match these quotes and am still waiting for an answer.
    I am going to get other quotes for house insurance which currently is €676 with FBD. Tractor is an old MF168 and costing €120 or there abouts.
    I have always insured with FBD but I think that times are a changing.
    had fbd rep out a while ago, unreal amount of claims during the year she said was the reason for increase- thats what insurance is for- I got my insurance for a couple of hundred euro more than last year and i had 2 claims, also changed renewal date so we are being insured for 13 months this year rather than 12

had fbd rep out a while ago, unreal amount of claims during the year she said was the reason for increase- thats what insurance is for- I got my insurance for a couple of hundred euro more than last year and i had 2 claims, also changed renewal date so we are being insured for 13 months this year rather than 12
    The pajero policy was €380 last year - 3rd party, fire and theft etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

still with FBD.. renewal was up about €350 ,

we put up a shed costing €35k and increased livestock value by about €30k

I also have 2 underage drivers covered on a 2ltr car and the jeep

when the hangling was finished I think I finished up giving them about €200 more than previous but that included the extra mentioned above

it pays to shop around within fbd branch offices as well I moved from our local branch a few years ago , just couldn't work with a new manager that took over

Just to add fbd paid out €44 million on the feb storm alone

orm0nd wrote: »
    still with FBD.. renewal was up about €350 ,

we put up a shed costing €35k and increased livestock value by about €30k

I also have 2 underage drivers covered on a 2ltr car and the jeep

when the hangling was finished I think I finished up giving them about €200 more than previous but that included the extra mentioned above

it pays to shop around within fbd branch offices as well I moved from our local branch a few years ago , just couldn't work with a new manager that took over

Just to add fbd paid out €44 million on the feb storm alone
    orm0nd, I also changed branches 6 years ago although I have a couple of separate policies with them - house/land in ncd, van & tractor (MF168) and a cottage, farm (multi pearl) and tractor (MF3080) in Longford. Although they have two different renewal dates, both linked. In addition OH's insurance and mine are also linked - his premium would be multiples of mine.
    Up till now we have always been able to haggle with FBD due to the volume of our combined premiums.
    TBH I was appalled to receive their quotation for the renewal for the jeep/van insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

business insurance has doubled this year for me and no claims. health insurance has risen 800 for the better half(nobody will quote me except 1 and they are just mental), car insurance has gone up 50, van insurance has increased by 80 and house insuranceis the only thing that stayed the same.Farm insurane up 600. all in i,m spending over 10k on insurance. pretty bloody depressing. all without claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

FBD wanted 630 for car fully comp,She who must be obeyed named driver change to aviva got it nearly 200 cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Miname wrote: »
    business insurance has doubled this year for me and no claims. health insurance has risen 800 for the better half(nobody will quote me except 1 and they are just mental), car insurance has gone up 50, van insurance has increased by 80 and house insuranceis the only thing that stayed the same.Farm insurane up 600. all in i,m spending over 10k on insurance. pretty bloody depressing. all without claims.

Dear god 10k for insurance and no claims, welcome to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Miname wrote:
    i,m spending over 10k on insurance

Jesus, are you importing heroin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Jesus, are you know importing heroin?
    unfortunately not at least that way theres a chance i might make a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Old thread but relevant, farm and house insurance renewal arrived, had small €3,400 house fire claim during the year, first claim, gone from €650 to €960, that's after ringing twice every year I always ring to get lowered but not much movement this time over grand first, small farm, no joy with Aviva (even though car ins with them) or Zurich through broker, rang Tipp brokers awaiting their response, crazy sum of money =(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

Last started farming there myself this year. Insurance up they want €1322 for 2 tractors third party 7 bay slatted tank 3 bay lean 2 and public liability. Is this not robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Last started farming there myself this year. Insurance up they want €1322 for 2 tractors third party 7 bay slatted tank 3 bay lean 2 and public liability. Is this not robbery.

Doesnt sound right? is the value on sheds over 100k? are tractors new ish? Maybe you have personal accident or something included but its very high. Maybe reduce tractor cover to TPF&T

Advertisement