Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Line Rental & Broadband

• 25-07-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm looking for a bit of advise around the whole broadband situation.

Eircom is our current provider and we pay about 50 euro (incl vat) for broadband and line rental. We never use the phone line anymore.

Our contract with Eircom is up in the next few weeks. Because of our rural location we only get a speed of 2 or 3mb and there are no plans for efibre to come our way. Our lack of speed was forcefully brought home to us recently after we bought a smart tv but were unable to use RTE Reelplayer because you need up to 7 mb to run RTE Reelplayer.

There's a few issues exercising us including the lack of broadband speed, paying for a phone line we don't need and I suppose wondering if there is a better way for less cost. I would say we have a security system which sends texts but I understand that if you don't have a line you can employ a SIM card. Also we have sky tv but I believe we don't need a line unless we go for multi room or need to do pay per view. Am I missing anything important ?

My technical knowledge here is quite limited so if someone could tell me as regards the following:-

1) As regards line rental can you have broadband from Eircom without paying for the phone line rental

2) As regards line rental can you have broadband from another provider without paying for the phone line rental

3) Would a Dongle meet my needs if I was to ditch the line altogether. I.e good broadband speed, SIM card in my security system etc. I take it Reel player use is then not possible.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You should look for this to be moved to the Broadband forum. You have a better chance of a reply there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Cpnoel wrote: »
    I'm looking for a bit of advise around the whole broadband situation.

Eircom is our current provider and we pay about 50 euro (incl vat) for broadband and line rental. We never use the phone line anymore.

Our contract with Eircom is up in the next few weeks. Because of our rural location we only get a speed of 2 or 3mb and there are no plans for efibre to come our way. Our lack of speed was forcefully brought home to us recently after we bought a smart tv but were unable to use RTE Reelplayer because you need up to 7 mb to run RTE Reelplayer.

There's a few issues exercising us including the lack of broadband speed, paying for a phone line we don't need and I suppose wondering if there is a better way for less cost. I would say we have a security system which sends texts but I understand that if you don't have a line you can employ a SIM card. Also we have sky tv but I believe we don't need a line unless we go for multi room or need to do pay per view. Am I missing anything important ?

My technical knowledge here is quite limited so if someone could tell me as regards the following:-

1) As regards line rental can you have broadband from Eircom without paying for the phone line rental

2) As regards line rental can you have broadband from another provider without paying for the phone line rental

3) Would a Dongle meet my needs if I was to ditch the line altogether. I.e good broadband speed, SIM card in my security system etc. I take it Reel player use is then not possible.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Im in a similar situation as yourself. For what its worsth here is my view:

1) Despite asking Eircom several times, they do not offer a broadband only package. You may get a reduction in your bill if you say your are leaving e.g. 35/40E for 6months. However, it is far from good value.

2) You need line rental for the likes of Sky Broadband. However, you transfer your line and broadband to sky and not eircom. Sky offer is 30e for line rental and 10 for broadband as far as I am aware. They normally offer free broadband for the year. However, whatever speed you get from Eircom is likely the speed you will get from Sky

3) Dongles may be an option for you but it depends on the nearest mast location. You can check this with comreg siteviewer.

http://www.comreg.ie/licensing_and_services/siteviewer.554.443.html

alternatively check with 3, vodafone, meteor and view their coverage maps. 3G or 4G would provide more tha 3MB/s if the coverage is good but usage limits are normally smaller e.g. 15GB /month.

I would not normally advocate it but you might be worth while looking at satellite broadband (Ripplecom, permanet, carnsore) in your area. Its a bit more expensive but you will be guaranteed good download speeds. (Its not good for gaming though in cas eyou have kids!)

With regards removing the line, just give sky a call and tell them you no longer have a hosue phone, they will be ok with that.
    For the alarm, you would need to provide more details. If it sends texts over internet currently you will need to hook it up to whatever your new internet provider is or get a SIM.

Hope this helps a bit.

Advertisement