Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal age for loosing virginity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

All my sexually addicted active friends talk about it too, all the time. Granted some of the don't but most of them do. I don't see the the big deal and I don't think being a virgin is anything to be embarrassed about.

Maybe they don't talk to you because you're all judgey with you' Haw, haw, haw I have no virgin friends'.

Mr. Talk doesn't like to, em, talk about it...

Love that song :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

When my mother was pregnant with me. Wasnt my willy inside a women for 9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Dowl88 wrote: »
    When my mother was pregnant with me. Wasnt my willy inside a women for 9 months.

eh it got there because of your dads willy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Me? 20. My daughter? At least 35:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I'd say it's rare for a person to be a virgin by about their mid 20s but I'd bet it's not true that the "vast" majority of people have lost their virginity by 18/19. It's bizarre the way people say that's "old"/"late" for it. :D
    Ok 30 is late, 40 really late, but late teens/early 20s?

Really doubt being sexually active at 14/15 is very commonplace as someone said (not that there's anything wrong with it).
    There's no "early" age to start having sex IMO so long as both people actually want to do it. Although 12/13 seems a bit extreme, but I guess some people are early bloomers.

It's strange the big deal that's made out of virginity/when it's "lost" (it's hardly "losing" anything)/what age, etc. At the same time, it must *feel* like a big deal to those who are virgins at a later age and not by choice.

There does seem to be a prevailing notion though that everyone's sexual preferences should be the same, despite it being such an individualised thing.

• Advertisement

Magaggie wrote: »
    I'd say it's rare for a person to be a virgin by about their mid 20s but I'd bet it's not true that the "vast" majority of people have lost their virginity by 18/19. It's bizarre the way people say that's "old"/"late" for it. :D
    Ok 30 is late, 40 really late, but late teens/early 20s?

Really doubt being sexually active at 14/15 is very commonplace as someone said (not that there's anything wrong with it).

It's against the law for a start anyway.

There's no "early" age to start having sex IMO so long as both people actually want to do it. Although 12/13 seems a bit extreme, but I guess some people are early bloomers.

17 is the age of consent in Ireland, I reckon that's early enough.

It's strange the big deal that's made out of it.

I've had eight year olds tell me the same thing. In their case allowances are made for their immaturity. I don't think it's strange at all that there's a big deal made out of sex given the obvious potential outcomes.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    17 is the age of consent in Ireland, I reckon that's early enough.
    But if two 14 or 15-year-olds want to have sex with each other, I don't see a problem with it once they use protection. I know they're very young, but we're still sexual beings at that age. Once care is taken, what's the harm?
    I've had eight year olds tell me the same thing. In their case allowances are made for their immaturity. I don't think it's strange at all that there's a big deal made out of sex given the obvious potential outcomes.
    Yeh I edited my post to clarify. I meant more the big deal about virginity than sex (although I don't think sex deserves being put on a pedestal, but I don't think it's as non big deal as eating or going to the jax either).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I was 15 when I lost mine . I was the first if my friends to loose it . I guess it happens for differen people at different times .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

On a side-note, and not wanting to go too far off-topic, but I remember reading/hearing someplace once that when a woman loses her virginity its permanent but for a man he can lose his virginity but it can "grow back", i.e, if he doesn't get some for a long period of time then he recedes back into a psychological state of being a virgin and I kind of understood what was meant.

Also, do BJs count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

catallus wrote: »
    On a side-note, and not wanting to go too far off-topic, but I remember reading/hearing someplace once that when a woman loses her virginity its permanent but for a man he can lose his virginity but it can "grow back", i.e, if he doesn't get some for a long period of time then he recedes back into a psychological state of being a virgin and I kind of understood what was meant.

Also, do BJs count?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Czarcasm wrote: »

Ah now, you're way too smart to think that 'against the law' is the same thing as 'wrong'. Or that one follows from the other.

Magaggie wrote: »
    But if two 14 or 15-year-olds want to have sex with each other, I don't see a problem with it once they use protection. I know they're very young, but we're still sexual beings at that age. Once care is taken, what's the harm?

I don't mean to be alarmist, but the phrase "famous last words" springs to mind. More often than not, care isn't taken when two people of that age are of the mindset that they're ready to become sexually active, and that's the reason why we have laws in place to prevent adults from taking advantage of their immaturity. Even in your set scenario, fifteen year olds with the maturity to deal with the adverse consequences of becoming sexually active at that age are an exception to child development patterns rather than the norm. They're about as common as forty year old virgins.

Yeh I edited my post to clarify. I meant more the big deal about virginity than sex (although I don't think sex deserves being put on a pedestal, but I don't think it's as non big deal as eating or going to the jax either).

Well you could say the same about anything really. I mean, I don't see the big deal about football, but Roy Keane might have a different view. People are all different, some people mature at different rates, some people never mature at all, so while virginity might not be a big deal for you or I, I can see why some people would prefer to remain virgin until they meet someone who they are comfortable becoming sexually active with, and I can see why some people would become frustrated at their apparent inability to become sexually active, because they feel due to their own insecurities that they aren't normal. That kind of mindset can cause them to engage in certain behaviors and react toward the opposite sex (or even the same sex if they happen to be LGB and still a virgin) in a very hostile fashion, almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm sure you're aware of a few people who would fit that description... :D

conorh91 wrote: »
    Of course it is
    Not sure it is, tbh. Not because of embarrassment or anything like that, just... it's private... and not that interesting to other people.

Ah now, you're way too smart to think that 'against the law' is the same thing as 'wrong'. Or that one follows from the other.

Well no, not the same thing (the difference being of course between what's morally wrong, and what's legally wrong), I just think it's a bit flippant when I hear people say "there's nothing wrong with... etc", morally (grey area as every situation will have a different set of circumstances) one might be able to decide for themselves that there's nothing wrong with becoming sexually active at that age, but that's why we have legally, and people should be aware that legally, there could indeed be numerous adverse consequences should they decide to become sexually active below the age of consent.

I just think if they think they're mature enough to decide to become sexually active, it's also a good thing for them to be aware of the possible outcomes besides just getting their rocks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ldavis

Hi,
    I went through five years of college before I lost my virginity. I had my first sexual encounter at 23. I thought there was something wrong with me. I was the guy that couldnt pull a women, (even in a horehouse)

Looking back, i see as two things. 1) I missed out 2) some sexually active people used sex to hide their own insecurities

Lots of men make stuff up, because there's this perception that men are unmanly if they have no sexual conquests. I mean i use to make stories up about my sex life, I didn't want to be like that man in the 40 year old virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

There's a "normal" age for loosing it?

I'm normal, so it must be 17.5 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭stalebread

If you were an altar boy about 10 I'd reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mr. Talk wrote: »
    I have read a recent report that said that nearly three quarters of Irish college students were sexually active. I don't believe that for a second. Do You??????? I am 19 years old and I am still a virgin. I'm sure that most of my friends are too.

Ask ANY college student if he's(many of the young women lie about sex too) getting any and you will only get one answer! Same applies to second level students! Where teenagers and especially boys are asked about sex or any thing similar the results will never be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kamik

ldavis wrote: »
    Hi,
    I went through five years of college before I lost my virginity. I had my first sexual encounter at 23. I thought there was something wrong with me. I was the guy that couldnt pull a women, (even in a horehouse)

Looking back, i see as two things. 1) I missed out 2) some sexually active people used sex to hide their own insecurities

Lots of men make stuff up, because there's this perception that men are unmanly if they have no sexual conquests. I mean i use to make stories up about my sex life, I didn't want to be like that man in the 40 year old virgin
    You are just a normal Man, some have sexual intercourse at an early age while others hold onto their virginity for Years.
    1) You did not miss out! You had yearnings but the experience was still to come, and when it did you were more mature in body and mind.
    2) That is true of men and women whether they are sexually active or not!

Both male and female invent stories of sexual conquests.

I lost my virginity at a VERY early age, and i mean early! I am now in my 60's but my present Girlfriend never lost her virginity until she was 44!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

There is no "normal age". You lose it when you find someone you want to lose it to and who equally wants to take it. I was 19 myself but I know people among my friends who lost it younger, older, or still haven't in their mid-to-late twenties.

Sex isn't the be all and end all of either a relationship, nor of the transition to adulthood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I think mine is growing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I dunno whether "normal" age matters too much, it's really more about why you haven't. It could be something you basically need to get out of the way or it could be something where if the first time goes especially badly might leave you feeling much worse about yourself and you need to avoid that kind of situation.

Never had any issues during secondary school because I knew it just wasn't an option, lived in the country, went to a school that was in a completely different part of the county, had no friends who lived in a town, was mostly boys in the school... no one ever even put on any kind of bravado about the whole thing until final year when a few had cars
    ...but after secondary it was honestly just something I needed to get out of the way and left me a lot more at ease with myself for college so I could set my mind on much deeper esteem issues instead! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Jikashi wrote: »
    There is no "normal age". You lose it when you find someone you want to lose it to and who equally wants to take it. I was 19 myself but I know people among my friends who lost it younger, older, or still haven't in their mid-to-late twenties.

Sex isn't the be all and end all of either a relationship, nor of the transition to adulthood.

The "when" seems frightfully important when you're mid teens to twentys. By the time you're in your fortys no one gives a flying fox.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

It's a bit suspicious if you haven't lost it before leaving university, shows a lack of social skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It's a bit suspicious if you haven't lost it before leaving university, shows a lack of social skills

Nah, bollix. Maybe for a small few. But there's plenty that just aren't confident with their gender if choice, some not confident at all, some not interested, some preoccupied with other things, some who choose to wait, amongst various other things.

For me, I was 27, and not out of choice but because I just physically couldn't.

So yeah, bollix.

do gay people lose there virginity ?

HONEST QUESTION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

HONEST QUESTION

Honest and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

HONEST QUESTION

I remember this program on the telly where a gay fella claimed to have lost his virginity 3 times..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

dgt wrote: »
    I remember this program on the telly where a gay fella claimed to have lost his virginity 3 times..... :confused:

Well there are 3 holes I guess... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Well there are 3 holes I guess... :pac:

3....eh what

Advertisement