Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beekeeping survey

Options
  • 25-07-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hey everyone, a survey had been created on which strain of bee you prefer/have.

NO information is collected that can identify you, no email address, name, where you voted from etc, it is completely anonymous!

This survey is only intended for beekeepers in Ireland (North and South) to take part as it will be interesting to see what type of bees are kept here.

Thanks everyone!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FVZ2BJ3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Hi Kevin,

Can you tell us a bit more about who is running the survey? Is it just a curiosity poll, or is somebody using the data?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Hey brianmc,

The survey came about because of a post in a Facebook group that I'm an admin of.

One of the members posted about the different strains in his native Poland that beekeepers use and when asked if he knew, in percentages term, of strains been used here, he didn't know, no one did!

So I decided to make a poll and ask beekeepers really just to get an idea, this isn't been done for anyone or any company/body/organisation. It really is, as you called it, a curiosity survey!

Now, I do plan on putting the results up, both here and in the Facebook group, (beekeepers of ireland) I'm not sure if I can mention the group so if a mod wants to "snip" it, feel free to.

I also made it completely anonymous simply because of the reaction some beekeepers get when they say they import Queens in the hopes that they will take the survey as well.

There is only 1 question, "which strain do you have or prefer" your location isn't recorded, your name isn't, nothing that can identify who you are or where your from because to be quiet honest, I don't need nor want it

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Cool! Thanks!

It'll be interesting to see the results alright!

brianmc wrote: »
    Cool! Thanks!

It'll be interesting to see the results alright!

Im looking forward to it myself. I think there are more people with Buckfast but are afraid/worried to say it publicly.

I know of 2 people who have either BF or carniolan Queens!

Here were the results from Poland

What races prefer beekeepers in Poland (50 000 beekeepers) :
    carniolan 48%
    buckfast 23%
    hybrids 10%
    Caucasian 9%
    Italian 6%
    dark European (black) 4%
    follow research of Pulawy institute, Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

I'm certainly interested in learning what type of bees people have - but I'd fear that without proper morphometric / DNA analysis, one can't know for sure.

One think that one has AMm because they're dark or Italians cos they're golden but that don't prove anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 the duke of eire

I get a real sick feeling in my stomach when i hear people are importing bees onto our Ireland.. Its no wonder people who do it are reluctant to crawl out of the woodwork and hold their heads up high..
    when are people ever going to learn?
    its the importation of bees that has introduced the number one threat to our own native species of honey bee,the varoa destructor..
    our bees cant survive on their own now because of the greed or just stupidity of people importing non native insects and letting them fly about willy nilly.
    i for one am not going to feel guilty about speaking my mind on this and im amazed that its actually allowed..
    the only place left without the varoa is Australia and no doubt that's because they are very strict about what's let into their country..
    who knows what new nastys are going to come in next on the backs of imported insects..

Hey everyone, there have now been 100 responses so as promised, here are my findings to the question "Which strain of bee do you prefer/have?" Some interesting answers!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-LBN8MYCL/

Advertisement