Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you look after your pets in this heat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Jesus folks, it isn't that hot. Once they have shade and fresh water they'll be just fine.

Dogs body temperature runs a couple of degrees higher than a human temperature.

Dogs cannot sweat like humans, except through their paws and by panting

Imagine sitting in 27 degree heat and not being able to take your fur coat off? Even sitting in the shade can be hugely uncomfortable with the humidity unless there's a breeze.

Dogs with black coats retain the heat and suffer worse than lighter coloured dogs.

Dogs with pink skin and little fur covering can suffer from sunburn, particularly on their ears and nose.

So yeah, being a dog, it is that hot, so they need all the help they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

Must say or two cat and dog are just conked all the time. Sleeping all day..When we bring the dog out tis nearly too warm for her. We splashed her in lots of cold water the other night, even got some ice from the fridge and put it in a bag so she could lie on it or just put it on her neck to cool off. She isn't a mad swimmer but loves to splash in the water so we are trying to take her to the beach as much as we can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Dogs body temperature runs a couple of degrees higher than a human temperature.

Dogs cannot sweat like humans, except through their paws and by panting

Imagine sitting in 27 degree heat and not being able to take your fur coat off? Even sitting in the shade can be hugely uncomfortable with the humidity unless there's a breeze.

Dogs with black coats retain the heat and suffer worse than lighter coloured dogs.

Dogs with pink skin and little fur covering can suffer from sunburn, particularly on their ears and nose.

So yeah, being a dog, it is that hot, so they need all the help they can get.

There's no need for hysterics though, there are dogs and cats in France, Spain, Greece, etc... that cope very well with temperatures there, every year. Try telling a French dog owner you got a fan for your dog because it was 28 degrees and chances are they'll snigger at you.

I agree that if you have a particular breed of dog that for particular reasons has a hard time in the heat, a bit of extra care is needed or welcome, but it does make me laugh the amount of dramatic facebook warnings I get weekly from the rescues I subscribe to.
    It's fair enough to remind people gently to be more vigilant of their pets' health in warmer weather, no need to over react though, this is still mild Ireland.

When we go to France we take Gizmo with us in the camper, and this year I found a brilliant water bowl by pure chance in TKMaxx, the water stays clean and fresh, and it never spills ! Even the cat drinks from it now, and he's very demanding when it comes to fresh water.
    http://www.petonly.ca/Lixit_Waterboy_Dog_Travel_Water_Bowl_p/19200843.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

There's no need for hysterics though, there are dogs and cats in France, Spain, Greece, etc... that cope very well with temperatures there, every year. Try telling a French dog owner you got a fan for your dog because it was 28 degrees and chances are they'll snigger at you.

I agree that if you have a particular breed of dog that for particular reasons has a hard time in the heat, a bit of extra care is needed or welcome, but it does make me laugh the amount of dramatic facebook warnings I get weekly from the rescues I subscribe to.
    It's fair enough to remind people gently to be more vigilant of their pets' health in warmer weather, no need to over react though, this is still mild Ireland.

Two retrievers died in Limavady yesterday, they had been taken out for a walk, and had done less than a mile when they both lay down, owner got them in a car and to the vet, but it was too late.

A dog also died on a ferry last week, when the owners went back to the car, the dog was dead.

When we go to France we take Gizmo with us in the camper, and this year I found a brilliant water bowl by pure chance in TKMaxx, the water stays clean and fresh, and it never spills ! Even the cat drinks from it now, and he's very demanding when it comes to fresh water.
    http://www.petonly.ca/Lixit_Waterboy_Dog_Travel_Water_Bowl_p/19200843.htm

Every time there's a heatwave there's always, always a story of dogs locked in cars that could die of heatstroke, I don't see it as hysteria, I see it as raising awareness that the dog might be suffering if their routine isn't adjusted in accordance with the increase in temperatures

Regarding dogs on the continent - dogs acclimatise to the weather and if they are used to it from birth it's a huge advantage to them. It's a bit like humans, Irish people tend to be a fair skinned, freckly race who tend to get sunburned and suffer in hot weather. I find lots of dogs get so lethargic and lose their appetite as they feel so off form. Their water intake should increase with the rise in temperatures and owners should be making sure they're drinking enough to stay hydrated. Their fur sheds according to the weather but even still groomers have never been as busy these past few weeks as dogs are really suffering in their coats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well I'd be of the opinion that sneering at someone for being a careful owner is pretty pathetic. So let them snigger or pass judgement. I'd rather be a "hysterical" owner than one with a "sure they're dogs, be grand" type of attitude.

I'm sure people in colder climates would probably snigger at us too with our doggy coats and such. Should we all leave our dogs cold when temperatures go lower than average for here, because they're average somewhere else?

I'd imagine that extends to people too, so when we're in Spain in October and it's 25 degrees, I should wear my coat because people who are used to the climate do. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

tk123 wrote: »
    28 degrees is petty hot for here. Also I have 2 double coated retrievers who feel the heat because they're not used to it - the younger one in particular hates it

Thats not that unusually hot for ireland. I would suggest that anyone that has a breed of dog that is accustomed to cold temperatures and struggles badly in a bit of heat has the wrong breed of dog for our summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

You'd think with the heat my dogs would be zonked, but I swear they've more energy than ever. So hard trying to keep the little rascals settled and not running like lunatics wearing themselves out.
    I've finally a day off tomorrow so I might blow up the paddling pool for them again.

There's pools in EuroGiant for only €4 for a small one and ones with rigid walls for €15 if anyone's on the lookout for a cheap pool for their furbaby :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats not that unusually hot for ireland. I would suggest that anyone that has a breed of dog that is accustomed to cold temperatures and struggles badly in a bit of heat has the wrong breed of dog for our summers.

Right so lets get rid of our dogs because we have one hot summer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Eh, with respect, Ireland doesn't really get "summers". We get a mild, slightly humid, "summer" with rare days of sunshine and hot temperatures. It's rarer still to have a week of hot weather.

And to suggest that anybody has the wrong breed of dog due to the weather in Ireland is frankly ridiculous. I'm all for people getting dogs to suit their lifestyle but to suggest that they don't get a double coated breed because of our rare hot spells is laughable. If that was the case nobody should have greyhounds/whippets/yorkies etc as pets as we can have cold winters and they have thin coats and need a bit of help generating body heat.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Funny because I work with people from everywhere- US, Italy, Spain, France, Algeria, Poland, Latvia, Romania, Sweden etc just in the desks surrounding me. They've all complained about the humidity and heat over the last week. Anyone I know from these counties with dogs are doing what we're doing and keeping them in, given them frozen treats etc (I do this all year round anyways), walking them late. I was walking my two last night at 9:30 and a French guy was chatting to me (in English... and the dogs in French :pac:) and was complaining about the heat.

You mentioned in your other post that your sister had her dog in the pool when the temperature rose what 10 degrees from normal - which is what we've had the last few weeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Jesus folks, it isn't that hot. Once they have shade and fresh water they'll be just fine.

I'm with you on this, animals can quickly adapt to change of weather no need for any of this pampering.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Right so lets get rid of our dogs because we have one hot summer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What's with the agreesive tone?

Every summer we get these tempretures at some stage.

If you own a Husky that's happier laying in the snow than the sun then you have the wrong dog for our climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I'm with you on this, animals can quickly adapt to change of weather no need for any of this pampering.

'Animals' maybe... Specific breed of dog, not so much. I've 2 Siberian Huskies that need extra care and attention during these 'heat waves'. How can a double coated breed, built for cold and snow just 'adapt' to this heat (it's not as if we have months of it on end to acclimatise to).

So, like the OP - I'll be 'pampering' my two, as you put it. I didn't wait 12 months each time, and spend an embarrassing amount of money on these champion bred dogs to just 'hope they adapt' to these record temperatures.

Speaking of which... Time for a water change, cooling bath, and check them both over for heat spots.

Hooked wrote: »
    'Animals' maybe... Specific breed of dog, not so much. I've 2 Siberian Huskies that need extra care and attention during these 'heat waves'. How can a double coated breed, built for cold and snow just 'adapt' to this heat (it's not as if we have months of it on end to acclimatise to).

So, like the OP - I'll be 'pampering' my two, as you put it. I didn't wait 12 months each time, and spend an embarrassing amount of money on these champion bred dogs to just 'hope they adapt' to these record temperatures.

Speaking of which... Time for a water change, cooling bath, and check them both over for heat spots.

No offence but why did you buy a dog that isn't suited to our climate?

Every summer we get these tempretures at some stage.

If you own a Husky that's happier laying in the snow than the sun then you have the wrong dog for our climate.

Utter nonsense.

Huskies are perfectly able for our 'typical' climate. It's these 'heat waves' that cause us owners to pay particular attention to our dogs. For a few days or weeks, at most, each year.

And the OP created this thread to ask for advice on HOW to cool their dog.

This is not a thread about IF we should go to extra lengths to keep our pets/dogs cool.

Utter nonsense.

Huskies are perfectly able for our 'typical' climate. It's these 'heat waves' that cause us owners to pay particular attention to our dogs. For a few days or weeks, at most.

And the OP created this thread to ask for advice on HOW to cool their dog.

This is not a thread about IF we should go to extra lengths to keep our pets/dogs cool.

You own a breed of dog that was designed for cold harsh conditions not what our climate is.

You own a breed of dog that was designed for cold harsh conditions not what our climate is.

What breed of trolls dogs do you have then out of interest?

Dogs weren't "designed", they evolved.

And huskies that live in a more temperate climate such as ours will shed their coats to adapt to the climate. Our infrequent spells of hot weather should not effect an owners decision when becoming a dog owner of a double coated breed. The golden retriever is a double coated breed and they are always topping the most popular pet list in lots of countries. Guess all those owners are wrong to own them too??

Know a lot about the breed, do you?

The Siberian Husky is perfectly able for the usual Irish climate. And warmer. Their thick, double layered coat, of which the undercoat 'blows' seasonally to adapt, is designed to repel the heat, as much as the cold.

It's these particular spikes in temperature and humidity, that we need to exercise that little bit of extra caution and assistance. Not just for huskies... For most dog breeds. Hence the OPs original post and the reason for this thread.

Unless you own one, are a member of the IKC, or affiliated with the AISHC club or similar breed specific club... Then may I very politely suggest that you keep such sweeping statements (as the one quoted above) about Sibes, to yourself.

Now. It's past 8pm... Much cooler out... And my boys need their exercise.

HIKE!!! (That's sledding speak for go!)

• Advertisement

Not completely true, the summers in Alaska and Siberia are fairly warm, which is why the husky coats are 'designed' the way they are, they allow movement of air under the guard coat to cool the dog. Huskies would also not be worked at all during the summer, they would just be let wander and fend for themselves, so they could rest in shade, drink, paddle, swim etc when they wanted :)

And of course they blow their coat at least twice a year.

Know a lot about the breed, do you?

The Siberian Husky is perfectly able for the usual Irish climate. And warmer. Their thick, double layered coat, of which the undercoat 'blows' seasonally to adapt, is designed to repel the heat, as much as the cold.

It's these particular spikes in temperature and humidity, that we need to exercise that little bit of extra caution and assistance. Not just for huskies... For most dog breeds. Hence the OPs original post and the reason for this thread.

Unless you own one, are a member of the IKC, or affiliated with the AISHC club or similar breed specific club... Then may I very politely suggest that you keep such sweeping statements (as the one quoted above) about Sibes, to yourself.

Now. It's past 8pm... Much cooler out... And my boys need their exercise.

HIKE!!! (That's sledding speak for go!)

Spike in tempreture?

Lol! It's been warm for six weeks now. Enjoy your hike!

tk123 wrote: »
    Funny because I work with people from everywhere- US, Italy, Spain, France, Algeria, Poland, Latvia, Romania, Sweden etc just in the desks surrounding me. They've all complained about the humidity and heat over the last week. Anyone I know from these counties with dogs are doing what we're doing and keeping them in, given them frozen treats etc (I do this all year round anyways), walking them late. I was walking my two last night at 9:30 and a French guy was chatting to me (in English... and the dogs in French :pac:) and was complaining about the heat.

You mentioned in your other post that your sister had her dog in the pool when the temperature rose what 10 degrees from normal - which is what we've had the last few weeks...

In my sister's case tk123, the temperature rose close to 40 degrees. There is a wide difference between 28 and 40 degrees, no ?

Yes, we feel the heat more because we're not used to it, and more than likely our pets are the same. However, I think that physiologically, both us humans and most healthy pets are able to withstand 28 degrees heat without too much of a bother, especially so if we and they have water, shade, and a coolish floor to stand or lay on.

Some person mentioned 2 dogs that dropped dead after a walk in 28 degrees heat, I would venture that the situation escalated for these poor dogs from maybe a stretch in the car before the walk, or dehydration, or the walk might have lasted 2 hours in full sun, or they might have had previous medical problems ... But I strongly doubt that 2 healthy dogs walking in 28 degrees for a reasonable time would get heatstroke that quick.
    Remember, I took my dog to France and he survived 30-35 degrees temps, even higher the previous year down in the South.

I'm not saying that people should adopt the attitude that "sure they're dogs they'll be grand". As I said, I do worry about my dog in the heat, and take particular measure to make him comfortable and ensure he is safe.
    But I am comfortably arguing that 28 degrees temperature, which is what we had the last few days is not physiologically dangerous to a healthy dog, provided they have shade and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Wouldn't you be bloody sick of people saying "sure it's warmer in [insert name of hot country]" and "don't they get along fine in [insert name of hot country]" :rolleyes:

Our kitchen is tiled so we tend to keep all the dogs in there during the day, the sun only hits the kitchen for a couple of hours in the morning and then again late in the evening so it tends to be cooler anyway.
    Our dogs dislike fans so we have a few facecloths and small towels that we put under cold water, then put in the freezer for a little while and then put on the dogs to cool them.
    We're lucky with our dogs now, they're quite smart and know how to keep themselves cool. A previous dog of mine used to always want to lie in the sun and you'd have to drag him into the house.
    Doing the same as others with regard to walking and playtime.
    We don't have a car but if we did I'd be limiting car journeys as much as possible.

Some person mentioned 2 dogs that dropped dead after a walk in 28 degrees heat, I would venture that the situation escalated for these poor dogs from maybe a stretch in the car before the walk, or dehydration, or the walk might have lasted 2 hours in full sun, or they might have had previous medical problems ... But I strongly doubt that 2 healthy dogs walking in 28 degrees for a reasonable time would get heatstroke that quick.
    Remember, I took my dog to France and he survived 30-35 degrees temps, even higher the previous year down in the South.

I'm sure your strong doubt will be of a lot of comfort to the family. No, they walked from their house and collapsed, they had gone less than a mile, now unless they are the slowest walkers in the world, 2 hours seems a tad over-estimated. The owner went back to the house for the car to take them to the vet. But hey, maybe its just a scare story, and it didn't really happen :rolleyes:

Just as vets both here and in the UK haven't had a lot of emergency cases in over the last few weeks - sure its just the vets trying to rip people off, charging them for their time when they didn't actually do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I know that everybody will hate me as well... but yeah being italian I was curious to read this discussion :)

In Italy I had a Samoyed with a crazy coat.. temperatures were for sure higher than here in summer and a lot of humidity.
    And no, in the warm countries not all people have Air conditioning and swimming pools! Never had in my life even not in the office!
    Anyway.. the things were to walk the dog in the early morning and evening... a lot of water.. etc etc all things already said.
    The dog was also adjusting his activities levels to the temperature :P
    I can't say if he was more used.. in Milan the winter is sometimes colder than here and the summer hot and humid.. so quite big change.
    When he got old I bought a sort of air conditioning portable big noisy thing to put in one room for him :D lol.. of course he didn't appreciate it!

I can see Jago, irish dog and black :) suffering a bit these days.
    I tend to bring him to the beach / near a river.. I have with me always water and a bowl during the walks and I try to find spots not on the direct sun.
    I think it's ventilated enough (for us anyway).

I remember other suggestions were to put a wet towel in the freezer and leave to the dog.. or pet shops would sell similar things to keep the dog cool.
    The summer won't be so long anyway so the doggies can go back to their usual habits! :)

Well yes, you would get a lot of emergency cases if people have their pets out in the full sun, without enough water, or have them running out in the heat, or in their car... of course.
    And unfortunately, some people do make these mistakes as owners.
    So like I argued earlier, some gentle reminders are needed, but imo, there is no need for overreacting.

That's my last on this, because as someone pointed out, it is a bit off topic.

edit : and there's no need to use emotive language, I am well entitled to doubt that 2 healthy dogs walked out from inside a house, less than a mile, and dropped dead in 28 degrees heat. I bet if I put that scenario to my vet tomorrow, he would suggest they had a pre-existing (heart/lungs) condition, or had already overheated at home prior to the walk. It's very sad, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I don't think anyone on the thread has overreacted tbh. I know I want my pets to be safe but I also want them to be comfortable, so yeah I freeze cat milk and make dog food ice pops, because, why not?? :P They love them.

In general Id like to think I do more than just meet my pets basic needs.

I agreed to that earlier sambuka41, it's nice to spoil them, just because, and I understand that.

The hysterics I was on about were the numerous posts I get on Facebook with gruesome images and red fonts designed mostly for hotter countries than Ireland, but that are being widely circulated at the moment by Irish rescues or pet owners.

But that's off topic and I said I was finished with OT. :o

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'm sure your strong doubt will be of a lot of comfort to the family. No, they walked from their house and collapsed, they had gone less than a mile, now unless they are the slowest walkers in the world, 2 hours seems a tad over-estimated. The owner went back to the house for the car to take them to the vet. But hey, maybe its just a scare story, and it didn't really happen :rolleyes:

Just as vets both here and in the UK haven't had a lot of emergency cases in over the last few weeks - sure its just the vets trying to rip people off, charging them for their time when they didn't actually do anything.

God come to think of it somebody we know from the area with a beautiful (and huge!) Dogue de Bordeaux who collapsed from the heat last summer! The owner and his neighbour managed to lift him inside and revive him with CPR.

Advertisement