Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

twist on caps

Options
  • 25-07-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there lads and lassies,

I am about to take up home brewing as a hobby and i'm really excited about it. One question i have is this, can I drink a load of Lidl Perlenbacher with the twisty caps and simply reuse them caps and all? Or do I need to get fresh caps and suitable bottles?

thanking you in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wouldn't trust the twisty bottles to keep a tight seal. The caps are the same as normal crown caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I would also prefer to get stronger bottled than those perlenbacher ones (its a grand beer for the money).

I have noticed though that bottled beer in Ireland, especially any beer that comes with a robust bottle, is up towards the pricey end of the spectrum. So you might be better off buying your bottles to start with.

An alternative is to ask around at pubs or indian restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sharingan wrote: »
    I would also prefer to get stronger bottled than those perlenbacher ones (its a grand beer for the money).

I have noticed though that bottled beer in Ireland, especially any beer that comes with a robust bottle, is up towards the pricey end of the spectrum. So you might be better off buying your bottles to start with.

An alternative is to ask around at pubs or indian restaurants.

Tyskie - decent beer, cheap, brown glass, labels soak off easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Perhaps a good idea to stock up on the regular Franziskaner offer in Lidl - which is on this week - of 4 bottles for €5. Not much more than you'd buy the bottles alone for - and you get tasty beer too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Any opinions on the ox-bar pet bottles. I'm a little bit wary of the longevity of plastic, but I did like the price and convinience.

Sorry can't post a link

homebrewwest.ie/try-a-coopers-ox-bar-500ml-pet-bottles-per-bottle-978-p.asp

• Advertisement

They're grand. You're right about the longevity: I found they started to fall apart after seven or eight uses, gunk can build up in their feet and the tamper-evident caps are a pain. But they're light and robust so if you're minded to pay money for empty bottles they'll do the job.

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're grand. You're right about the longevity: I found they started to fall apart after seven or eight uses, gunk can build up in their feet and the tamper-evident caps are a pain. But they're light and robust so if you're minded to pay money for empty bottles they'll do the job.

I was originally thinking buying Grolsch type bottles, but then the warning on the HomeBrewWest website, about making sure fermentation is complete and blah blah, made me think again.

So is the "smart money" on saving your old bottles and capping them?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dukeellington

Wouldn't go with plastic or twist off's as most people said, but I've been using swing-tops without any issue. I carbonate at high levels and have never have a problem with popping or anything like that, wouldn't overly worry about homebrewwest saying you have to finish fermenting before bottling, surely thats standard practice! (patience being second only to hygiene?)

Swingtops are definitely the way to go. I mostly use Flensburger and Hacker-Pschorr ones and have had no problems. I'll usually cap a few from each batch as well, in case I want to give them away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Allpack are great for bottles.

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    are great for bottles.

Thats a great link thanks.

I've just ordered the Cooper starter. It comes with PET bottles but I don't see thos lasting too long as Beernut said above. I'll look to moving up to flip tops after this brew. <Finger crossed>

Its irritating not even being able to quote links

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brucy

Have to agree with loyatemu.. The Tyskie bottles are 50cl and they'e heavy duty also the labels soak off like a dream. They're cheap in Lidle and the beer is good too. I'm gonna go with these from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

brucy wrote: »
    Have to agree with loyatemu.. The Tyskie bottles are 50cl and they'e heavy duty also the labels soak off like a dream. They're cheap in Lidle and the beer is good too. I'm gonna go with these from now on.

watch out for special offers - they often have 4 for €5

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have brown tesco 2L cider PET bottles.

3.99 for 2L

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275881969

Never used them for brewing yet but they are sturdy enough and are seem properly brown. lidl also have 2L cider for about 3.79 but it is barely brown and very transparent.

Advertisement