If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV? Confussed !

Options
  • 25-07-2014 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Well basically, I am out to buy a new TV. But am totally confused by what I need. The old one is fine for the moment so in no rush if it's best waiting(It's a Seg so old). 

I have been looking at TV's on Pixmania the LG 42LB650V. Now I am pretty interested in the Smart TV part of things but I don't know if I will need it as the computer is connected to the TV and the computer is a self build so the graphics chip is in mother board but the computer is only used for internet browsing so the chip seems to be decent for the TV (AMD A6-6400K APU Radeon HD 3.9Ghz). The only reason I would think I would like it is maybe the display might be a better processor maybe but that would be when/if I ever use that too watch TV.

Is there anything else that the Smart TV can do that a computer plugged into it can't? 

The picture quaility I perfer the images to be sharp but real life. I would like a 42'/47' with a budget of around 500 (could push to 600)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well basically, I am out to buy a new TV. But am totally confused by what I need. The old one is fine for the moment so in no rush if it's best waiting(It's a Seg so old). 

I have been looking at TV's on Pixmania the LG 42LB650V. Now I am pretty interested in the Smart TV part of things but I don't know if I will need it as the computer is connected to the TV and the computer is a self build so the graphics chip is in mother board but the computer is only used for internet browsing so the chip seems to be decent for the TV (AMD A6-6400K APU Radeon HD 3.9Ghz). The only reason I would think I would like it is maybe the display might be a better processor maybe but that would be when/if I ever use that too watch TV.

Is there anything else that the Smart TV can do that a computer plugged into it can't? 

The picture quaility I perfer the images to be sharp but real life. I would like a 42'/47' with a budget of around 500 (could push to 600)
    Hi Tall,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.  

Having a PC connected to your TV will do a lot of what the smart features on your TV can do, plus more.  The web browsers on TVs can't handle flash.  But saying that having the likes of your catch up services etc on the TV is very handy at times.  Instead of having to turn on the PC, open a browser etc you can actually do all of this on your TV from the remote control, or even an app on some models.  

Smart TVs are defiantly developing more.  Samsung's 'S Recommendation' is a great feature!  I was a bit skeptical when it came out, but then we got it set up on a demo TV and I loved it.  This is a feature that's only available on a Samsung Smart TV.

Panasonic also now have Freetime and TV Anywhere on some of their screens which is also a great feature.  Freetime allows you to go back 7 days on your EPG.  Where TV anywhere allows you watch TV on your phone or tablet from anywhere with a WiFi connection.  Another handy feature to have.

I'd suggest looking at the Samsung UE40H6400 (little bit smaller but such a good TV) at £529.95:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40h6400/sams-ue40h6400

Or for an extra few quid check out the Panasonic TXL42AS650 at £599.95:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx42as650b/pana-tx42as650b

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 voxxxlll

I have a smart tv and the "smart" functions are useless. I never used them because they only have a few apps like a browser, youtube, netflix etc. Also is very hard to type because there is no mouse so you have to use the arrows on remote. I use a laptop connected to my tv with an air mouse and works perfect.

voxxxlll wrote: »
    I have a smart tv and the "smart" functions are useless. I never used them because they only have a few apps like a browser, youtube, netflix etc. Also is very hard to type because there is no mouse so you have to use the arrows on remote. I use a laptop connected to my tv with an air mouse and works perfect.
    Hi voxxxlll,

What TV is it you're using?  You can get wireless keyboards and mouse kits to go with some screens.  Some also offer a very nice app that allows your tablet to become your keyboard and mouse.  

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hi Tall,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.  

Having a PC connected to your TV will do a lot of what the smart features on your TV can do, plus more.  The web browsers on TVs can't handle flash.  But saying that having the likes of your catch up services etc on the TV is very handy at times.  Instead of having to turn on the PC, open a browser etc you can actually do all of this on your TV from the remote control, or even an app on some models.  

Smart TVs are defiantly developing more.  Samsung's 'S Recommendation' is a great feature!  I was a bit skeptical when it came out, but then we got it set up on a demo TV and I loved it.  This is a feature that's only available on a Samsung Smart TV.

Panasonic also now have Freetime and TV Anywhere on some of their screens which is also a great feature.  Freetime allows you to go back 7 days on your EPG.  Where TV anywhere allows you watch TV on your phone or tablet from anywhere with a WiFi connection.  Another handy feature to have.

(LINKS REMOVED WON'T LET ME POST!)

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Most of the time the computer would be on at the same time as the TV as the computer is just under the TV. So usually me or the girlfriend would be browsing the internet and someone watching the TV or we both just watch something online or on the TV.

The TV's you have listed seem good just for the price they seem a little on the small side of things. Would there be an excellent television maybe a little bigger without the smart features. Like I seen a smart LG TV on Pixmedia for 650 I think it was?

Hi Tall,

(LINKS REMOVED WON'T LET ME POST!)

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Most of the time the computer would be on at the same time as the TV as the computer is just under the TV. So usually me or the girlfriend would be browsing the internet and someone watching the TV or we both just watch something online or on the TV.

The TV's you have listed seem good just for the price they seem a little on the small side of things. Would there be an excellent television maybe a little bigger without the smart features. Like I seen a smart LG TV on Pixmedia for 650 I think it was?
    Hi Tall.

What size was the LG you have been looking at on Pix?

For LG up in the size we have the LG 47LB570 priced at £529.00 but it would need collected from the Belfast store as we could not have this one shipped.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/47lb580v/lg-47lb580v

The LG 49LB550V priced at £529.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/49lb550v/lg-49lb550v

Also the Samsung UE46F6320 priced at £579.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue46f6320/sams-ue46f6320

There is then the fantastic LG 47LB650V priced at £649.95 (Full packed with features)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/47lb650v/lg-47lb650v

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny,

It was the 42" and the 47" on Amazon

pixmania.ie/led-tv/lg-42lb650v-3d-led-smart-tv/22131382-a.html

amazon.co.uk/LG-47LB580V-47-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00J3OHZJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406479143&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+47+inch+smart+tv

Would the Amazon one be similar to the first TV you posted?

Sorry for being all over the place here with TV's I am just confused !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Tall, I have looked into this for you and here is the scenario : 

The Amazon model is the 47LB580 and is the same TV as the first TV on the previous post. We do this TV at £529.00 and would include a 5 year warranty.http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx42as600b/pana-tx42as600b

Delivery would be £21.99. We could ship this model as long as I move quickly as stock is very low.

The Amazon price is £587 including the 5 year warranty and they will not ship that TV to Ireland so you would not be able to order it from them.

My suggestion is that if you want the best picture quality then stick to a 42" instead of a similarly priced 47".

On that note, if you need a larger TV then the LG is an excellent buy, but if you want a better performance then the Panasonic TX42AS600 which is £499.95 and comes with 5 year guarantee. This may not have the sharpest picture compared to others but has a very natural image and is an excellent TV for the money.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx42as600b/pana-tx42as600b

This would be my personal choice if you want a good quality smart TV, from a really good brand.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave.

Is the 49LB550V better or worse than the 47LB580 what price would either be shipped?

Also, I came across this TV on my travels again at a push I could justify the spend as it's 2014 model. Was on adverts

adverts.ie/tv/samsung-48-h6400-smart-tv-model-2014/6029379

It's actully 655€ on Donedeal(same seller)? Seems to have good reviews and a decent refresh rate, price is good too?

Let me know what you think. I am just looking for a excellent TV at a reasonable price which will cover me for a few years. But I am utterly confused.

Hi Dave.

Is the 49LB550V better or worse than the 47LB580 what price would either be shipped?

Also, I came across this TV on my travels again at a push I could justify the spend as it's 2014 model. Was on adverts

adverts.ie/tv/samsung-48-h6400-smart-tv-model-2014/6029379

It's actully 655€ on Donedeal(same seller)? Seems to have good reviews and a decent refresh rate, price is good too?

Let me know what you think. I am just looking for a excellent TV at a reasonable price which will cover me for a few years. But I am utterly confused.
    Hi Tallgalss.

We would be unable to match or beat that price as they only offer a one year Guarantee.

I also would think that they might be imports and would not contain a DVBT2 tuner, I cant be 100% sure but I would be pretty confident on this.

The 49LB550V is a larger screen but the LB580 is higher up the range over the 550.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.