Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Question: United vs Liverpool - Read Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gav only posted that because of Chelsea's record! Go on, admit it!

Nope :o

TBH, I cant even think who the draw was against, if I was to guess I'd say it was Utd but not 100% on it.

we've gotfairly handy openking day games down the years but I'm not confident about the Burnely game.

Anyway back to big question, I'd expect both Utd & Liverpool to win this weekend and Utd do have a run of very winnable games early on , making the opening 2 months cushy enough for LVG as long as he gets the results.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Nope :o

TBH, I cant even think who the draw was against, if I was to guess I'd say it was Utd but not 100% on it.

we've gotfairly handy openking day games down the years but I'm not confident about the Burnely game.

Anyway back to big question, I'd expect both Utd & Liverpool to win this weekend and Utd do have a run of very winnable games early on , making the opening 2 months cushy enough for LVG as long as he gets the results.

You'd expect both to win but football throws up unusual stories. Southampton beating Liverpool after losing 3 players to them would certainly fall into that category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It'll be hard to beat Liverpool this season especially now that The Rodgers claims Sterling has a touch like Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Old Southampton to beat new Southampton

Swansea to beat United on opening day after David Moyes masterminded an opening day hammering of Swansea last season

80/1 on Paddy power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

United still need a few defenders, but fortunately for them they've such an easy start that it shouldn't matter, it'll also give lvg time to bring in players before the window closes without facing any difficult teams.

Liverpool on the other hand haven't bought a marquee striker, their defense hasn't played at all together and they've a much tougher start, the opening games could be a disaster for them.

Before I tipped Liverpool to finish ahead but it's looking more likely that united will finish above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Liverpool on the other hand haven't bought a marquee striker, their defense hasn't played at all together and they've a much tougher start, the opening games could be a disaster for them.

Looking at Liverpool in pre-season not a whole lot has changed in terms of style of play. They will play a very fluid system with maybe more emphasis on 3 attacking midfielders rather than having 2 strikers on the field all the time. Don't expect them to score as many goals as last season but they will will still score a lot of goals. Expect them to concede quite a bit less also. Probably a striker still to arrive in before the end of month. No idea who it will be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

United are just awful, gonna be a long painful season for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Don't think they will be like that come the end of the window though. It's hard to believe they have spent close to 130 million since fergie stepped down.

If today doesn't open some eyes that United need at least 3 players of top quality then nothing will

We'll be lucky to get 5th if we don't spend big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Don't think they will be like that come the end of the window though. It's hard to believe they have spent close to 130 million since fergie stepped down.

Probably because they've spent about 10m less than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

United still need a few defenders, but fortunately for them they've such an easy start that it shouldn't matter, it'll also give lvg time to bring in players before the window closes without facing any difficult teams.

Before I tipped Liverpool to finish ahead but it's looking more likely that united will finish above.

How quickly the pendulum swings ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Had a feeling today would be slippy for Man U (thought Swansea would get a draw not win) but I wouldn't read too much into it.

If nothing else the suits have shat themselves and will give Van Gaal what he needs to get the players he wants.

Talisman wrote: »
    How quickly the pendulum swings ...

Yeah it's amazing how someone can change their mind so quickly eh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Old Southampton to beat new Southampton

Swansea to beat United on opening day after David Moyes masterminded an opening day hammering of Swansea last season

80/1 on Paddy power

halfway there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Liam O wrote: »
    Probably because they've spent about 10m less than that.

That makes a telling difference!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

K-9 wrote: »
    That makes a telling difference!

but what's the net spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Had a feeling today would be slippy for Man U (thought Swansea would get a draw not win) but I wouldn't read too much into it.

If nothing else the suits have shat themselves and will give Van Gaal what he needs to get the players he wants.

But that's easier said than done, especially without CL football. The money should be there, but have the right targets been identified, and if so, are they available at this stage?

Most would agree that at the very least 2 quality additions are needed to have anything but an outside chance of top 4. Preferably it would be 4 or 5, and certainly it would need to be if they are challenging for the title.

Are the options out there? Are their first targets like Vidal gettable, and then where do they go if they're not? Do they end up spending big on another Fellaini?

It's possible...

The team today was just nowhere near good enough in terms of quality, and the mixture of no-name youth players and players who are clearly not cut out for the level/perhaps past it reminded me a bit of some of the Liverpool teams we saw 3 or 4 years ago. Hallmarks of a poor recruitment policy (whether it be lack of funds or ineffective recruiting). It's been far off the required standards for a number of years now at United, given their expectations.

It is only one match of course, and they should probably pick up a decent tally over the next 5 games or so, even with this team, but it's unreasonable to expect Van Gaal to perform miracles with his current team.

On paper they fall short of the other top 4 teams, particularly in midfield and defence, so signings of the right quality are a must.

Will be an interesting next couple of weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

balotelli_mortal_kombat_by_junnioor-d564r56.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Four legs would be more useful......

Like a little horse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Augmerson wrote: »
    Like a little horse?

Or a big donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Like a little horse?

Which would you rather fight, 10 four legged, pony sized Balotelli's, or one giant four armed Balotelli?

Well at least I was only 4 points off my United prediction

I think Man U will stay up, a team with Valencia, Cleverly, Young, Welbeck, Evans, Smalling and Jones is too good to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think Man U will stay up, a team with Valencia, Cleverly, Young, Welbeck, Evans, Smalling and Jones is too good to go down.

38pts to go, one game at a time. August isn't the time to be counting chicken, I have faith too and don't get me wrong, the support is welcomed. Lets not get excited by the results so far though, could all go horribly wrong if we pick up some injuries in key areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

transfers in and done for 2 weeks, any changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Any Liverpool fans fancy a bet? 200Euro says United finish above you

Money where your mouth is time

It amazes me how people could be confident at this stage, blind faith really

Lots of problems still to be solved at United, same with Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I Believe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

scudzilla wrote: »

I don't even support Liverpool and I'd take that bet. To put things in perspective, Spurs also hammered QPR 4-0. The same Spurs who Liverpool beat comfortably.

Why are you so confident? Either team could make top 4 or both could miss out.

Kirby wrote: »
    I don't even support Liverpool and I'd take that bet. To put things in perspective, Spurs also hammered QPR 4-0. The same Spurs who Liverpool beat comfortably.

Why are you so confident? Either team could make top 4 or both could miss out.

Just VERY confident with United and the team we have, also think Liverpool had their season and that was last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

1409600166429_wps_1_Daley_Blind.jpg

Damn right.

:pac:

One team performance against a woeful QPR side and one bad performance against a decidely average Villa side certainly doesnt suddenly change things but like I said in the first page, the Suarez factor coupled with lack of European football, plus the little matter of the likes of DiMaria, Falcao and the lovely lovely Daley, I still think United are better placed to push for fourth and I think it will be at the expense of Liverpool.

scudzilla wrote: »

Well? Anyone? You've even got a 1point headstart

Forgetting Johnson and Gerrard it is a good team, Johnson should be finished at Liverpool, Gerrard should play a part across the season but having him as first choice holding midfielder would come back to haunt Liverpool IMO

If I was Rodgers I'd be looking to spend the Suarez money on a RB, LB and a top DM. Although that would take Rodgers' spending to over 100 million

I would like to apply for the job if Rodgers is sacked on Wednesday

Lol, 13 points from 1st and 5 points ahead of a brutal Liverpool team is hardly time to get a stiffy. Times have certainly changed :)

• Advertisement

I would like to apply for the job if Rodgers is sacked on Wednesday

Can you waste vast sums of money, let fading club legends dictate your style of play and continually persist with failed formations and out of form players?

If so apply in writing to....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Lol, 13 points from 1st and 5 points ahead of a brutal Liverpool team is hardly time to get a stiffy. Times have certainly changed :)

times have changed, 8 points from 9 games for one thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

times have changed, 8 points from 9 games for one thing

I seem to remember this thread getting dragged back up or maybe a similar thread when Liverpool went a few points ahead of United, strange that no Liverpool fan came along to tell them to pipe down that time...
    Not that anybody even suggested anything this time other than quoting themselves on something that looks to be panning out as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

If I was an LFC fan I'd have a great deal of anger towards Rogers for his signings. He needs a Director of Football ASAP, shouldn't be trusted with anymore money.

Montroseee wrote: »
    If I was an LFC fan I'd have a great deal of anger towards Rogers for his signings. He needs a Director of Football ASAP, shouldn't be trusted with anymore money.

There's a committee in place for signings so he doesn't have full control.

Saying that, it clearly isn't working too well

• Advertisement

As bad as he's doing potential replacements at the moment would be an equal risk at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There's a committee in place for signings so he doesn't have full control.

Saying that, it clearly isn't working too well

He says he has final say

kryogen wrote: »
    He says he has final say

Final say on what the committee decide. Big difference tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Final say on what the committee decide. Big difference tbf.

Big time :

Committee: "We're getting you this player"
    Rodgers: "I don't want him"
    Committee:" He's all we're offering"
    Rodgers:"I'll take him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

or rather:

Committee: "We're getting you this player"
    Rodgers: "I don't want him"
    Committee:" The other option is Paul Konchesky"
    Rodgers:"The first guy! I'll take the first guy!"

Rodgers would save his skin and publicly denounce the committee if that was the case

He seems to take credit for all the good signings either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Suarez going was such a blow and Sturridge being injured compounds that. Palace are a decent side this year and almost frustrated United a few weeks back.

That being said, Rodgers needs to pick this team up off the ground ASAP. Confidence is shot and when that goes, the mqnager needs to show his strength.

Tbh, if I was him, I'd be setting up really conservatively the next couple of matches and trying to grind out some form and confidence. Not sure that's his style though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Utd are the better team at this moment.

They have DDG keeping them somewhat solid, they've Rooney and ADM playing decently and Fellaini providing some steel.

Liverpool have nobody making any sort of difference. there's nobody keeping us solid and nobody providing any steel or star quality.

LVG also seems to have the team confident even though points haven't been coming freely. Rodgers' challenge is to instill that in his team despite the form.

• SlickRic wrote: »
    Utd are the better team at this moment.

They have DDG keeping them somewhat solid, they've Rooney and ADM playing decently and Fellaini providing some steel.

Liverpool have nobody making any sort of difference. there's nobody keeping us solid and nobody providing any steel or star quality.

LVG also seems to have the team confident even though points haven't been coming freely. Rodgers' challenge is to instill that in his team despite the form.
    For utd we have regained the fighting spirit we lost last year and you can see it from everyone in the team. The progression is there, there will be more ups and downs but we are without a doubt going in the right direction. We have been truelly unlucky with injury's but still fighting on.

On liverpool: Some of the pools players look really disinterested the last couple of games. It all started with poor spending of the suarez money then his downward struggle to motivate the team coupled with ridiculous team selection decisions. (Toure on the bench after madrid ?? Balotelli up front as a lone striker??? Failing to drop Steven Gerrard) and his inability to get the basics of his defence right.
    To note he really needs to stop this 'new team needs to gel' nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

2 fairly bad sides. United seem to be pulling the results out of the bag without playing well whereas Liverpool haven't done that, and that has been the difference between them this season because I've rarely been convinced by the performances of either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement