Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Question: United vs Liverpool - Read Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rafael was one of our best players the season we won the league, he is exceptional when he can stay fit

Blind ahead of Gerrard is a no brainier looking at this season

Fellaini and Henderson have both done as much as each other before this season and Fellaini has arguably been man of the match in most games he has played for us this season

Sterling suffered overhyping last season by Liverpool supporters, and he has looked very average without Suarez so far, he would take Januzaj's place on the bench but he wouldn't get into the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You can't be serious?

serious as cancer

Fair enough if you disagree, but I would be interested in hearing why you actually disagree player for player

you can feel free to read some of my thoughts in the post just above ;)

Rafael was one of our best players the season we won the league, he is exceptional when he can stay fit

Fellaini and Henderson have both done as much as each other before this season and Fellaini has arguably been man of the match in most games he has played for us this season

Sterling suffered overhyping last season by Liverpool supporters, and he has looked very average without Suarez so far, he would take Januzaj's place on the bench but he wouldn't get into the team

Henderson was pivotal in a team that came second in the league, and fellani was awful in a team that finished 7th

sterling wasnt over hyped, he was excellent, overhyped sounds more like Januzaj, who is now on the united bench

Rafael has never impressed me and blind has had a few half decent games playing sideways passes, ill hold fire on him just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Actually this thread has potential, like yo don't want raf. Why?

Because he is too risky? Always on a red card? Etc etc. some stats can be pulled to disprove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

De Gea

Rafael
    Skrtel
    Rojo
    Johnson

Lucas
    Carrick

Sterling
    Rooney
    Di Maria

Sturridge

Would be my Utd/LFC XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Like do you really think suarez wouldnt have got in the utd team the year before last.

The year that RVP was on fire and winning us a title?

Cyrus wrote: »
    Shaw better than moreno? very little in it so far this season, rafael over johnson? bad as glenjo has been, no thanks, blind over gerrard, nope, fellani and henderson is a toss up, leave it out, sterling easily gets one of the spots behind rvp aswell, most likely matas

This is just silly.

Yes sadly, Liverpool supporters seem to be getting ruffled by all of this.

At the start of last season I doubt many would have put an Atletico player in the Barca team but look how that turned out. Just because United have better players doesn't mean the team will do better

The worrying thing for them is that United have the better players and are currently doing better in the league

• Cyrus wrote: »
    sterling wasnt over hyped, he was excellent, overhyped sounds more like Januzaj, who is now on the united bench

This I can agree with, Januzaj has been poor this season and was overhyped and that's why he's on the bench this season.

However it's and unfair assessment of Fellaini in the rest of your post, he only had 16 appearances in total last season and spent the majority of it injured or being ****ed about by Moyes. Only now has he got a solid run in the team and he's producing some fine performances.

• Advertisement

De Gea

Rafael
    Skrtel
    Rojo
    Johnson

Lucas
    Carrick

Sterling
    Rooney
    Di Maria

Sturridge

Would be my Utd/LFC XI

Why Johnson over shaw?

Why Johnson over shaw?

Because he is being intentionally controversial

This is just silly.

no, not at all,

we can all post threads saying we think one player is better than another

This I can agree with, Januzaj has been poor this season and was overhyped and that's why he's on the bench this season.

However it's and unfair assessment of Fellaini, he only had 16 appearances in total last season and spent the majority of it injured or being ****ed about by Moyes. Only now has he got a solid run in the team and he's producing some fine performances.

the point that was made was that up to this season henderson and fellani have been similar,

my point was that last season totally disproved that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ridiculous, a player like him would walk into the united first XI. He was outstanding last year, in the 2nd half of the season he was as good as Suarez.

Rafael is one of the most overrated players in the league if I'm honest and most United fans would agree.

I love when Raf plays against Liverpool tbh, it's generally beneficial to us. He's probably a little bit overrated. I know Utd fans that can take or leave him.

no, not at all,

we can all post threads saying we think one player is better than another

And people can easily spot the ones that aren't based upon reality.

the point that was made was that up to this season henderson and fellani have been similar,

my point was that last season totally disproved that

So to my point above, would you agree that's an honest assessment of Fellaini this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Would in not be reasonable to think that RVP and Suarez would have played in the same team at the same time?

• rarnes1 wrote: »
    I love when Raf plays against Liverpool tbh, it's generally beneficial to us. He's probably a little bit overrated. I know Utd fans that can take or leave him.

It's beneficial too Liverpool because he can be rash in the tackle and is sometimes a card risk that can be exploited.

But when he keeps his temper under control he's pure quality.

• Advertisement

• brevity wrote: »
    Would in not be reasonable to think that RVP and Suarez would have played in the same team at the same time?

Possibly yes, Suarez in behind RVP though IMO

So to my point above, would you agree that's an honest assessment of Fellaini this season?

oh he is definitely much improved this season, however i personally think he is somewhat one dimension and wouldnt swap henderson for him

So we can judge Liverpool players on last season and this season, but can only judge utd players on this season?

And people can easily spot the ones that aren't based upon reality.

yeah, of course, the ones that dont conform to your thinking arent based on reality

good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Suarez was on fire that year aswell and at the same level as rvp. The key thing is though that suarez would easily have got in the Utd team that year over either rooney wellbeck or Hernandez alongside rvp.

So we can judge Liverpool players on last season and this season, but can only judge utd players on this season?

what?

brevity wrote: »

Exactly

It would be reasonable, but then he is up against the other world class striker United had in that season, Wayne Rooney. Would United fans have dropped Rooney for Suarez the year before last? I doubt it.

Don't forget we aren't talking last season when Suarez was world class, we are talking the season before when he was just very good.

what?

Eg Johnson over shaw?

• Advertisement

Why Johnson over shaw?[/QUOTE

Liverpool bias possibly. Havent seen enough of Shaw to justify him, and for me Johnson is a better left back that right back.
    Moreno has done nothing to impress me so far, so he is ruled out. I dont rate Enrique, and Im not putting Young at lb. Lack of alternatives I suppose, but definitely the weak link of the side.

oh he is definitely much improved this season, however i personally think he is somewhat one dimension and wouldnt swap henderson for him

Point taken.

Personally for me it's an easy choice of Fellaini over Henderson as he's the better player IMO

On Henderson; he was at his best last season and particularly when Gerard was not in the first 11.
    This season he's been in poor form.

Fellani is very limited. Handy to have if you need a goal with 10 mins left and can pump long balls at.

His form this season in a few games has been good but that's not saying much as hes playing in an average enough Utd team. Can't imagine him in a top team challenging for the title.

It would be reasonable, but then he is up against the other world class striker United had in that season, Wayne Rooney. Would United fans have dropped Rooney for Suarez the year before last? I doubt it.

Don't forget we aren't talking last season when Suarez was world class, we are talking the season before when he was just very good.

rooney is world class now??

presume gerrard is aswell then? and frank lampard

Because he is being intentionally controversial

Ive explained my reasoning. Not here on a wind up pal

yeah, of course, the ones that dont conform to your thinking arent based on reality

good lad

There can be a debate about which players are better, but when you swan in claiming that Glen Johnson is the better choice at full back then you immediately lose all credibility. Not even your own fans want Glen Johnson in your team.

Forget Rafael, we could have Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, or an inanimate carbon rod at full back and it would still be better than Glen Johnson.

• Advertisement

Eg Johnson over shaw?

but not fellani

There can be a debate about which players are better, but when you swan in claiming that Glen Johnson is the better choice at right back then you immediately loose all credibility. Not even your own fans want Glen Johnson in the team.

Forget Rafael, we could have Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, or an inanimate carbon rod at full back and it would still be better than Glen Johnson.

now you are just being silly

smalling and phil jones are poor centre backs, and poor full backs

you said rooney was world class and im the one with the credibility problem...

Fellaini was very good the two seasons before last, I think he garnered interest from Arsenal and Chelsea based on that form, Henderson was very good last season, Fellaini is currently outperforming him

It's not that hard

Eg Johnson over shaw?

Hard to say. Shaw too early in his Utd career to even make that call.

...im the one with the credibility problem...

Two words for you. Glen Johnson.

• Advertisement

Fellaini was very good the two seasons before last, I think he garnered interest from Arsenal and Chelsea based on that form, Henderson was very good last season, Fellaini is currently outperforming him

It's not that hard

on what basis is fellani outperforming henderson

and garnered interest? didnt see anyone else bid for him apart from a desperate moyes

Two words for you. Glen Johnson.

world class :pac:

Fellani wouldn't get near Chelseas team. Might not even make the bench tbh.

Shows how fickle fans can be the abuse he was getting last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

IMO, the three of them would play.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hard to say. Shaw too early in his Utd career to even make that call.

Then take last year with Southampton?

He has only played like 5 games this year. Last 2/3 he was impressive

Is the Johnson thing just a joke like how Valencia always starts for utd?

on that basis Lallana is a world beater, and lovern would make the united starting xi aswell

IMO, the three of them would play.

Today? Or two years ago?

Liam O wrote: »
    Which United forward? The 3 that are better than all of Liverpool's? So you are saying you wouldn't have Mata over Coutinho? Carrick over Gerrard in the deep midfield role? Shaw over Moreno or whoever? Rojo over Skrtel? Fellaini over Can or Allen? Herrera over Henderson (the only debatable one so far)? One team had a horrendous start and is picking it up now. One team has been consistently bad all season. United have more quality all over the field and on the bench than Liverpool, it really shouldn't be up for debate I'd have thought but yet performances and results seem to be irrelevant in the face of 'I seen Leicester score 5 against United on MotD a couple of months ago, they must still be bad in defence.' Only conceding 3 against City, Chelsea and Arsenal would say otherwise.

The 3 utd forwards have all had a better career than Sturridge but from a Liverpool perspective I'd be happy with sturridge and 1 utd striker. ID put sturridge at the same level as rooney and rvp too early to say if Falcao can get back to his best. As I said picking a combined team I'd have ddg adm and 1 utd forward falcao for arguments sake the other 8 spots are up for grabs. There isn't one defender from both clubs you could say has to play. Sterling Henderson Gerrard lallana Carrick mata blind fellani all in the mix for midfield spots. Up front sturridge or the two utd forwards rooney or rvp to play alongside Falcao.

He was impressive for Southampton for sure. I haven't seen him play brilliantly for Utd yet, it's early days though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement