Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Question: United vs Liverpool - Read Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

niallo27 wrote: »
    Isn't this more to do with liverpool being ****e.

No. United winning other 5 games has nothing to do with how ****e Liverpool team is. We are 3rd in the table after disappointing season last year. None of our new signings even settled yet and we have huge injury crisis. Despite all this we are doing fine.
    Utd were winning leagues over a year ago. They have spent more than city and Chelsea put together but are 8 points behind them. Utd have been poor this season have they not.

Except both had settled team, managers and on the other hand there was lot of Ins and Outs at ManUtd and a huge injury crisis. ALso our new signings didn't even play till match day 4 or 5.
    Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't want to trawl through pages and pages just to justify that comment but having said it I suppose I should -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93402012&postcount=7351

That was just a quick browse jumping multiple pages.

Look no one is taking the piss, I wouldn't blame Utd fan's. Great form. Great squad (if it would all stay fit).

That post made a simple point that if we are in touching distance from 1st we will spend heavily in Jan. Not we are in title race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yes I don't think utd played particularly well on Sunday. They gave up a lot of chances. I'm sure Van Gal will not be happy with the amount of chances liverpool created. That's some squad utd have that they can still field a team like that.

Yes United gave away lot of chances. 2 CBs who just came back from lengthy injury, a CM playing as CM in a system none of them are comfortable with and 2 wingers playing as wingbacks.

Rafael, Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Smalling would have started if they were fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't want to trawl through pages and pages just to justify that comment but having said it I suppose I should -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93402012&postcount=7351

That was just a quick browse jumping multiple pages.

Look no one is taking the piss, I wouldn't blame Utd fan's. Great form. Great squad (if it would all stay fit).

But your link doesn't say that the poster thinks United will win the title?

It simply says that being even close to the title race in freakin January would be a big help with potential transfers.

Poor show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I see a lot of the word chance there, along with 1 sarcastic reply, and one repy about betting markets.

When your team is third and 8 points off top with half the season to play with a team of di Maria, Rooney, rvp, falcao if he can come back, and de gea, among others playing well and being the form team in the leauge with half the team missing.

Of course there is a chance of winning, or challenging.
    The team that played on Sunday won the leauge 2 years ago.

There is nothing deluded saying a utd team has a possibility of challenging.
    We can reasses at the end of January. I fergie had this team there would be nothing deluded in thinking of chances.

Bullshit. I would hope that other posters actually check those links and see them for what they are.

Taking facetious responses out of context and trying to label them as people seriously claiming United can win the title is spoofing of the highest order.

The last one is a GIF of Homer crying for gods sake, you are showing yourself up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Of course Utd will be challenging for the league, when you spend that much money and have that squad and a good manager its the minimum they should expect this year.

Theyve got a better squad than last year and a better man at the helm, inconsistent start aside, this Utd side will be involved in the title race all the way down to the wire IMO, Utd fans might play down the expectations but this team are a serious contender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Bullshit. I would hope that other posters actually check those links and see them for what they are.
    Headshot wrote:

We should be odds on favourite to win the title now.

Like this?

Like this?

Who do you think you are fooling?
    Taking facetious responses out of context and trying to label them as people seriously claiming United can win the title is spoofing of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thread needs a bit of love

MOC221B.gif

Not surprised with that response tbh. I suppose it was all in jest and none of it serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Like this?

This is a bizarre post. You have posted what is clearly a joke and tried to pass it off as a real opinion. Pointless.

Anyway, fwiw, I do think that some United fans are getting a bit ahead of themselves. Some of the more realistic fans can see that our form has masked some periods of shakey play and that we have very little chance of going the rest of the season only losing 2 or 3 more max.

For those using the money spent argument as a reason why United should be challenging, I suppose that does make sense if your only way of thinking is in black and white. Ignore the fact that the teams above us have also spent a metric **** tonne in the last couple of years, ignore the fact that we have been playing 3 midfielders in defence in the past couple of games. Never mind the extremely low confidence in the squad and the absurdity of the idea that buying players instantly makes you play well or that it takes a new manager time, even Jose Mourinho going back to a club he built the blueprint for, to get his ideas across.

So if you enjoy black and white thinking, ignoring causal factors and possibly being on the Autism spectrum, the "only money spent is relevant" argument is for you.

This is a bizarre post.

Indeed.
    RobertKK wrote:
    A win on Monday is a must to keep our title chances alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

All of those posts are light hearted/jokes

This is getting uncomfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think all of your links point to one United supporter who may be serious, and a lot of people who clearly aren't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He posted betting odds that put us as 3rd favourites! And said one game at a time! All it needs is a We Go Again and I'm pretty certain Chelsea can just pack up and go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Half the squad on the injury list all season, yet United have 'had a lot of luck' so far? Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He posted betting odds that put us as 3rd favourites! And said one game at a time! All it needs is a We Go Again and I'm pretty certain Chelsea can just pack up and go home.

Given City have an easier 3 / 4 weeks starting with this weekend, I'd be surprised if Chelsea are top by the turn of the year or shortly after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hey Augmerson, here's another crazy loon to add to the list.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93427575&postcount=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A few of my Man United supporting mates think they can win the title.

They are generally the less informed and would almost be more "anti-Liverpool" than pro their team. It is most definitly not a common thing and you get people like that amongst fans of all the "big" teams

Any decent fan knows it would take a large slice of fortune for them to win it given their weaknesses at the back etc. One thing about them this year is at least they are exciting (ish) to watch again

Utd are going to win the leauge.

You can take that to the bank. (And bookmark it to take it out if context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

United are in a position to win the League. Can't see why their fans would downplay it.

They are going to get it right at the back at some stage and given the firepower they have up front they are real contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I hope the Manchester City Council have the street cleared for the open top bus in May for United. Fireworks spelling out LVG would be a nice touch too.

Liam O wrote: »
    I hope the Manchester City Council have the street cleared for the open top bus in May for United. Fireworks spelling out LVG would be a nice touch too.

Already have it booked. I have my scarf knitted and my t shirts bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is getting uncomfortable

I know right...

Who Posted?
    rarnes1 66
    Rayne Wooney 63
    Iused2likebusts 56
    Will I Amnt 44
    Donnielighto 32
    CSF 26
    Cyrus 26
    Liam O 24
    M!Ck^ 23
    Fescue 22
    Marty McFly 22
    PhlegmyMoses 21
    Gowlasauras Rex 21
    niallo27 20
    bucketybuck 19
    Zico 16
    whatawaster 14
    Augmerson 13
    gosplan 13
    kryogen 10
    Knex. 9
    K-9 9
    Hidalgo 8
    Giggsy11 8
    Oranage2 7
    The Pontiac 7
    brevity 7
    LuckyLloyd 6
    naughtb4 6
    Soft Falling Rain 6
    Skylinehead 6
    Godge 6
    Paj 6
    Morzadec 5
    OwaynOTT 5
    rob316 5
    GavRedKing 5
    ronjo 5
    Sheepy99 4
    RasTa 4
    Trilla 4
    Pyjamarama 4
    Kirby 4
    smileyj1987 4
    Shanotheslayer 4
    WealthyB 4
    Gavlor 3
    greendom 3
    5starpool 3
    scudzilla 3
    Nuts102 3
    Chucky the tree 3
    quarryman 3
    Business Cat 3
    Kerrigooney 3
    Crash Bang Wall 3
    MD1990 3
    glued 3
    hefferboi 3
    Lord TSC 3
    Bounty Hunter 3
    Blue giant 3
    SlickRic 3
    The_Kew_Tour 2
    RayCon 2
    Dempsey 2
    gandalf 2
    Hulk Hands 2
    Pappa Dolla 2
    jester77 2
    Leftist 2
    IncognitoMan 2
    osnola ibax 2
    Milkers 2
    monkey9 2
    Soups123 2
    AdamD 2
    Diabhal Beag 2
    DaveSuarez 2
    Montroseee 2
    citytillidie 2
    MR NINE 2
    x43r0 2
    MagicIRL 1
    googled eyes 1
    Washington Irving 1
    darced 1
    tvercetti 1
    garra 1
    redzerdrog 1
    8-10 1
    WesternZulu 1
    gimmick 1
    shadowcomplex 1
    martingriff 1
    NIMAN 1
    BMMachine 1
    Stop Searching My Posts 1
    Tssk 1
    Panthro 1
    viper006 1
    Quandary 1
    ebbsy 1
    Talisman 1
    Mr Alan 1
    0028673 1
    Anyone 1
    Utopia Parkway 1
    RayCun 1
    Phoenix 1
    Raf32 1
    zerks 1
    greenman09 1
    shano_88 1
    Agent Coulson 1
    Dublin Spur 1
    DildoFaggins 1
    Sanity_Saviour 1
    Augeo 1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I know right...

Who Posted?

Pretty sure he was talking about Augmerson's misguided crusade.

Hey Augmerson, here's another crazy loon to add to the list.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93427575&postcount=3

Your just being facetious now mate.

Your just being facetious now mate.

No, no. I reeeeeaally think we're going to win the league.

tve5756-00000306-897.gif

Utd are going to win the leauge.

You can take that to the bank. (And bookmark it to take it out if context

The sad thing is that he probably will quote that one too.

• Advertisement

The sad thing is that he probably will quote that one too.

Or be a really underhand prick and report it.

Or be a really underhand prick and report it.

I can report it for you if you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So two months later things have heated up, pool just two points behind United and they're in amazing form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So two months later things have heated up, pool just two points behind United and they're in amazing form.

It's about more that just these two, but the game at Anfield in a few weeks could be a decider...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

United have Spurs, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Everton in the next 7 league games with an FA Cup tie with Arsenal in between. If they can do well enough in those games to stay ahead they'll easily be top 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I remember many times over the past 20 odd years where the biggest moment of a Liverpool fan's season would be a 1-0 win over United at Anfield in September and October. United would invariably go on and win the league.
    What matters is winning trophies. Liverpool should only become relevant to United when directly challenging them for trophies. And vice versa. Fans resorting to it being all about who will finish higher between Liverppol and United whilst other teams (City and Chelsea) hoover up said trophies is a sign of how far Liverpool have fallen in the game and also a sign of where United could be heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I remember many times over the past 20 odd years where the biggest moment of a Liverpool fan's season would be a 1-0 win over United at Anfield in September and October. United would invariably go on and win the league.
    What matters is winning trophies. Liverpool should only become relevant to United when directly challenging them for trophies. And vice versa. Fans resorting to it being all about who will finish higher between Liverppol and United whilst other teams (City and Chelsea) hoover up said trophies is a sign of how far Liverpool have fallen in the game and also a sign of where United could be heading.

Whatever makes you feel better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Whatever makes you feel better

Nothing to do with me at all. The facts speak for themselves. Unless you can show me how United and Liverpool, today, are anywhere close to their former selves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

I didn't say they were, but you're just nitpicking in a thinly veiled attempt at having a go at both clubs, for no reason really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd easily have Lucas over Carrick, no doubt in my mind about that.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I presumed he was joking.

It's not even close

Still cracks me up, not even close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Oranage2 wrote: »

Until United broke them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

zerks wrote: »
    Until United broke them.:D

If United broke them, what did Arsenal do to them the following week? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What was that "Luck Lloyd" list about?

(It's long so I don't want to quote it)

Korat wrote: »
    What was that "Luck Lloyd" list about?

(It's long so I don't want to quote it)

The people who posted in the thread and how many times they posted. Think he just got the wrong end of the stick on what he quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RasTa wrote: »
    Still cracks me up, not even close!

No your right it's not even close. I would much prefer to have Lucas. He has been missing the last month or so and liverpool have really struggled without him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No your right it's not even close. I would much prefer to have Lucas. He has been missing the last month or so and liverpool have really struggled without him.

What on earth does that have to with Carrick's ability. I'd love to know how it's not even close and Lucas is so superior.

RasTa wrote: »
    What on earth does that have to with Carrick's ability. I'd love to know how it's not even close and Lucas is so superior.

I thought the question was who would you prefer in your team and I would pick Lucas. Carrick is a fine player but I would prefer Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I thought the question was who would you prefer in your team and I would pick Lucas. Carrick is a fine player but I would prefer Lucas.

Even taking into consideration their ages and the fact that Carrick possibly only has one more season left as a starter at united, I would still take Carrick.

Both have been pivotal to each of there teams and thats fair enough. As an all around player I would prefer Carrick over Lucas.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Even taking into consideration their ages and the fact that Carrick possibly only has one more season left as a starter at united, I would still take Carrick.

Both have been pivotal to each of there teams and thats fair enough. As an all around player I would prefer Carrick over Lucas.

Thats fair enough I just think Lucas is more important to liverpool than carrick is to Utd.

Thats fair enough I just think Lucas is more important to liverpool than carrick is to Utd.

That's not the question. The question was who was better.

Carrick obviously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement