Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tidy towns effort... Sligo... What do. You think?

Options
  • 25-07-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Surprised that this hasn't opened so far as a thread.. I think town is looking really well.. Thanks to volunteers and business efforts... Views of others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Surprised that this hasn't opened so far as a thread.. I think town is looking really well.. Thanks to volunteers and business efforts... Views of others?

I am with you on that one. I honestly cannot remember the town looking so well. Even the empty unit are looking less derelict than the past few years. Anyone know if they will carry on and complete O'Connell St. or are they still debating what to do?

By the way, I have gone to post about this a few times but never got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Really fantastic work, they should be really proud of themselves to have town looking so well. I'm looking forward to showing it off to visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Well done to all involved. The whole town is looking fresh & clean. They are doing great work. I think all the town needs now is a fresh coat of tarmac around all the main streets and it will really top it off.

One thing Iam not so sure about is the murals/wall art. I like the one of yeats, but I think at this stage now its getting a bit carried away. Iam a big fan of street art/banksy etc, but I think it is not really suited to Sligo and can see it starting to look like the falls road in Belfast or those murals you see in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I think in fairness to the Tidy Towns Comm, there's a big difference in literary/tourism related murals and the type of politically motivated shyte you see in Derry or Belfast.
    I love what they're doing with the murals and the flowers. Well done to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Carson10 wrote: »
    Well done to all involved. The whole town is looking fresh & clean. They are doing great work. I think all the town needs now is a fresh coat of tarmac around all the main streets and it will really top it off.

One thing Iam not so sure about is the murals/wall art. I like the one of yeats, but I think at this stage now its getting a bit carried away. Iam a big fan of street art/banksy etc, but I think it is not really suited to Sligo and can see it starting to look like the falls road in Belfast or those murals you see in Derry.

Have only seen three of the Murals in Sligo, the one of Yeats, the one of his Poems, and Sligo Style, the third one I wouldn't be mad on. Is there many others around.

In terms of the ones in Belfast (and they're not only on the falls road) and Derry, whilst I agree with sean on comparing politacally motivated murals and literary ones, some of the ones in NI do have to be admired and tell a story on the regions history, so still have some importance in their own rights.

Extra Kudos does have to be given as well to the three fellas clearing out the Garavouge this morning, hopefully you will all get a pint or two from those donations for your efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

I also agree, the town looks better than it has in years! I just hope now when the effort has been put in it's maintained and not abandoned like so many other big efforts!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

It makes sense to maintain it for the Fleadh next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The town is looking fantastic, and nearly every building on town has been painted. Just boots letting down O'Connell st.

And flowers everywhere.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sunnysinead

I think town is looking really well.. Thanks to volunteers and business efforts

Correct. It is looking well. A lot of places that are empty are disguised so that they do not look empty. Amazing. Great what a lick of paint can do, and graphics over doors / windows.

dingding wrote: »
    The town is looking fantastic, and nearly every building on town has been painted. Just boots letting down O'Connell st.

And flowers everywhere.

Fantastic.

Yes totally agree. Boots is disgraceful looking with all the white paint flaking off the shop front. Just goes to show they are only in Sligo for profit and not to give back to the town.

Its the dirtiest shop on the street.

• Advertisement

on a different note, I really do think the price some people think they are going to get for renting out their house in Sligo for the fleadh is greedy. €1200 for to rent an average student looking house in cartron for a week? where are they off too?

http://www.donedeal.ie/holidayrent-for-sale/house-for-sligo-fleadh-cheoil/7378879

€1200 is the price you would expect to pay for a 5* villa with a pool in the south of france, not Cartron iam afraid.

Some people also looking for €700/800 euro for ran down student house in Mulberry park with no bed linen or towels etc.. Greedy Jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Carson10 wrote: »
    on a different note, I really do think the price some people think they are going to get for renting out their house in Sligo for the fleadh is greedy. €1200 for to rent an average student looking house in cartron for a week? where are they off too?

http://www.donedeal.ie/holidayrent-for-sale/house-for-sligo-fleadh-cheoil/7378879

€1200 is the price you would expect to pay for a 5* villa with a pool in the south of france, not Cartron iam afraid.

Some people also looking for €700/800 euro for ran down student house in Mulberry park with no bed linen or towels etc.. Greedy Jokers.

Well now, we wouldn't be irish if we didn't try to take advantage of every event we could and try to squeeze as much money out of it to line our own pockets now would we? Shur what's fairness got to do with anything when there's greed at stake?

Not just a Sligo thing or an Irish thing, it happens all over. There's always a few 'get rich quick' merchants around when any big event is taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

the old cinema building in market street is a bit of an eyesore,i'd say it'd be a fine looking place if it was tidied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

glaswegian wrote: »
    the old cinema building in market street is a bit of an eyesore,i'd say it'd be a fine looking place if it was tidied up.

A different subject altogether but I always thought it'd be cool to re open that as a classic cinema, showing old movies, and running movie marathons certain times a year like Halloween and Christmas.

Was the cinema seating taken out when it was a dutch furniture store.

rizzodun wrote: »
    A different subject altogether but I always thought it'd be cool to re open that as a classic cinema, showing old movies, and running movie marathons certain times a year like Halloween and Christmas.

I've often thought that myself but it was a struggle to get people in for classic films at The Model, I'd say the rates would be horrendous too.

Heard the old Savoy is in NAMA, so nothing going to happen there for a while I'd say. It was meant to be demolished as part of the High St/Market St/Castle St regeneration project which will most likely never go ahead now.

red sean wrote: »
    Heard the old Savoy is in NAMA, so nothing going to happen there for a while I'd say. It was meant to be demolished as part of the High St/Market St/Castle St regeneration project which will most likely never go ahead now.

Is high st where the old Savoy used to be? Because I remember going to see movies in the old 2 screen Savoy but I can't quite place the location.

It's opposite Harry's Bar, just down from the Friary.

• Advertisement

If you were comming over waste / west gardens it is the building straight in front of you as you are heading for high st.

I remember years ago there was a chemist in the shop to the left of the front door. Manys a time he fixed me up after a skint knee. The casulty of the 70's :) and one of the barley suger sticks on the way home.

I think the savoy was a single screen with an upstairs and downstairs.

The gaiety had a few screens before it was demolished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHl0RtNlps

Back on topic, nice video on the work of the tidy towns committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

dingding wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHl0RtNlps

Back on topic, nice video on the work of the tidy towns committee.

Nice video, but I'd be interested to see the figures proving that a tidy town title increases tourism and bus ticket sales, I'd rather think everyone would chip in because of a sense of general pride in their community.

One other thing, what's the story with the two whales 6:53? It looks photoshopped, where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

rizzodun wrote: »
    One other thing, what's the story with the two whales 6:53? It looks photoshopped, where is that?
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.273052,-8.480661,3a,75y,118.56h,71.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sr1pWjBREoa7TtBrW1bdsDQ!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I agree, the tidy towns have done some stirling work over the last few months. They've really brightened up the place and taken the dingy look away from the town.

However, the cynic in me wonders how short lived it would be. Like when a dignitary comes to town, all the businesses are out in their fineries, showing off giving free stuff to people saying how wonderful they are etc...... and once they're gone its back to normal.

Just to say that boots appears to have been painted, I was critical in an earlier post. Well done boots.

Brightens up that end of O'Connell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I agree with all here a big thumbs up, round of applause and a clap on the back for the Tidy Towns crew. Magnificent job (I particularly like the work they've done on the gates beside the Bus Stop shop).

Where is the new mural of the musicians? I can't make out the location from photos.

It is opposite mcglynns pub in old market street. Head up by the garda station and turn right. It is on the left hand side past john Perry's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Has anyone seen the fantastic window display in celebration of the Fleadh in the Enable Ireland shop in the Wine St Carpark?
    It's really good...hats off to whoever has done it. A lot of effort went into it and it seems to be the only shop in Sligo that has gone to that amount of effort in terms of their window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

Had a walk around the town yesterday before the official opening. I have to say the Fleadh Committee and the Tidy Towns people have done ONE fantastic job! The town is looking very well! Congrats to all concerned, and may everyone enjoy this week and lift the gloom off Sligo and bring a bit of positivity and then maybe prosperity......... have a great week!

Advertisement