Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Swords

Options
  • 25-07-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi looking at buying a home in Swords, currently living in apartment in Malahide but need more space due to second child. Swords village seems nice but we are not that familiar with the estates, hoping some of you can share some opinions and experience with us. We've looked at Rivervalley and Forest field area and would appreciate any feedback on these in particular.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Rivervalley is a great place to raise a family, it's got a really good primary school and Loreto secondary school for girls, with the Christian Brothers for boys and 2 coeducational secondary schools in the village. There's a very good sense of community that can be missing in the newer estates and people are generally very friendly.
    There's lots going on in the Community centre, and the shopping centre is getting a facelift this year which will be nice because it's been a bit neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

I'd agree with Dizzy 100%. Have lived in Rivervally for 25 years, kids all went to Holy Family primary school and loved it. Great community spirit. Lots of after school and community activities. GAA, soccer, Ballet, art etc. If you've any specific questions please feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jewelg

Thanks very much for the feedback have driven around a few times and looked at a few houses it looks like a lovely leafy neighbourhood and good local schools are a major plus:) The reason I posted this was my partner was a little concerned about comments he read on other threads (granted dated 2008)regarding anti social behaviour and safety for women near the valley itself how relevant is that today. Also comments on the swords express and its reliability as we both commute to city.

I regularly walk in the valley but like anywhere else in Dublin I wouldn't go there at night. In the evening there's always lots of people around at matches etc. won't lie and say its perfect, there are kids who'll get up to mischief but no more than anywhere else. I'm very happy living here. There's a huge drive on at the moment regarding clean up etc around the area and I think that's having a positive effect on everyone.

Shops are due to be updated this year so that area will be improved greatly. Having said that the people in the shops are lovely and friendly. Chipper is yum. Chinese is supposed to be good. (Don't eat Chinese food, so can't say). Anything else I can help with.... Ask away.

Swords express is a great service. Very reliable. 41c very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Dont take anyones word for how nice a place is on the internet.
    Walk around river valley at night to see what its like - but not on your own, and do not venture on to the jacko from rivervalley (there have been a lot of rapes and muggings there over the last few years), especially if you are a woman on your own.

Then draw your own conclusions about the place.

It is no safer now than it ever was. Ask yourself would you want your daughter coming home after dark there.
    Rivervalley is least nice place I would buy a house in Swords, followed closely by Holywell.
    Everywhere else is fine though.

Don't take anyone's word on how nice it is? Why should anyone take your word on how "least nice" it is either? If you don't live here how would you know?

As for "lots of rapes and mug goings"? Talk about exaggeration. lol. You need to check your facts pal.

Dont take my word for it either.
    As I said go and have a walk around the area at night, when the undesirables come out. Find out for yourself.

And if you google you will find all you need to know about those particular crimes. No need to believe any of us when the info there easily accessed on the net.

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=river+valley+rape+swords

You suggest Holywell? What about the known pedophile living there? What about very little amenities? No bus service? No gardens?
    I never said Rivervalley was perfect...no where is. I've lived here for 25 years.. Never had any problems. Of course you can walk around Rivervalley after dark, same as an
    ywhere else in Swords... I've already said avoid the valley after dark, same as any park in Swords.
    There's always two sides to every story. I can only give my version. I'm sure the op can use google, just like you did.

Oh and that link you put up.... One rape not lots and it was solved. Like I said.... No place is perfect.

I said Holywell was second worst actually.
    You read my post like you read the link i sent. You only see what you want to. There is not, as you say, just one rape that google brings back.

Im just asking the OP to find out about the area themselves rather than asking those who live there and have a vested interest in the areas reputation. All they have to do is google and then take a walk and see for themselves what its like in the evenings and if they would feel safe with their kids there or even going around themselves.

Well how about you tell the op the answer to two simple questions. Since you live in rivervalley,

would you let your kids play down the jacko in the evenings?
    If you were in swords in the evening would you walk back the short way through the jacko, or would you walk the long way home?

You obviously didn't read my message either..... Not getting into slanging match with you. I love living in Rivervalley.... Would I recommend living here? Yes. Could I recommend anywhere else? No. Because I don't live there. Enough said. Have a nice weekend.

I have read your mesaages correctly, and im not in any slanging match.
    But if thats the way you fell then
    Fair enough.
    The OP can figure out how to check out a place themselves im sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Walk around river valley at night to see what its like - but not on your own, and do not venture on to the jacko from rivervalley (there have been a lot of rapes and muggings there over the last few years), especially if you are a woman on your own.

It is no safer now than it ever was. Ask yourself would you want your daughter coming home after dark there.
    Rivervalley is least nice place I would buy a house in Swords, followed closely by Holywell.

Wow, you know a lot about the area then?

OP, I've lived here for 31 years and raised my daughters here, and it's no better or worse safety-wise than any similar housing estate. A good few years ago there were some teenagers who were troublesome, but as usually happens it was all blown up out of proportion. And it was no worse than in any housing estates that have a lot of teenagers. There's a great mix of generations here.

The Valley itself is like any isolated park, in a perfect world we'd all be able to walk through it day or night but it's not a perfect world so it would be foolish to risk it. There's also access to it from Swords Manor and Swords itself so I wouldn't assume that anything untoward that happens down there would be at the hands of Rivervalley residents.

As others have said, have a drive/walk through at night a few times and see how it feels. It's a nice mature area with lovely people and a real sense of community. The 41c bus runs very regularly and the Swords Express is a terrific service.

• Advertisement

would you let your kids play down the jacko in the evenings?
    If you were in swords in the evening would you walk back the short way through the jacko, or would you walk the long way home?

I'd answer No to both questions - and the same would go for any large park in any area. The valley is huge and secluded. That's just how it is, you have to be sensible ;)

I'd answer No to both questions - and the same would go for any large park in any area. The valley is huge and secluded. That's just how it is, you have to be sensible ;)

I too would say no.... And would say no to walking in Malahide Castle, Newbridge house, Argillan.... Anywhere isolated at night. It's about being sensible. The valley is a fantastic amenity to have on my doorstop. Widly used by sports clubs, the schools, families.

Still love living here. Not planning on going anywhere.

OP, go check it out yourself would be the best course of action to be fair.
    Maybe the area has done an about turn and is positively lovely nowadays.
    Do let us know how you get on on your walkabout though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

How many is 'a lot of rapes'?

Obviously one is too much but I live in Swords and must have been missing them in the news.

I live in Boroimhe and have no problem with River Valley
    The Swords Express is brilliant.
    Plenty of shops and restaurants in the town too.

If youre by yourself and is dark then don't use the jacko park. But really don't go into any empty park at night by yourself. Kind of common sense. It's a great park during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Let's not get hung up on the park issue. The Jacko is no different from St Anne's in Raheny or Herbert Park in Ballsbridge or any other park in the country. People should exercise caution when in such places after dark. Simple.

Let's move on now.

tHB

Oh I would definitely get hung up with that park if I was looking at buying in rivervalley. Its notorious, and is effectively part of everyday life for your kids if you are going to live in Rivervalley.

Looking forward to hearing how the op gets on in a night time walkaround of the area. Everywhere looks lovely in the daytime, before the wildlife comes out though.

I'd love to know what perfect part of Swords you live in, then I can go live there. Just to avoid "the wildlife" you speak of......

I'd love to know what perfect part of Swords you live in, then I can go live there. Just to avoid "the wildlife" you speak of......

I dont live in any perfect place. I used to live in Rivervalley is all, so i know what its like.

Arguably I live in a much rougher place now though to be fair, though not near Swords, but I would have no problem saying that its rough, even though i live here. And if you are honest you would admit that Rivervalley is the roughest part of Swords.

Just trying to get the op to get their own opinion instead of having to rely on the rose tinted glasses of people who still live there.

The problem is that she is relying on the opinions of those with a vested interest in the area sounding good, rather than doing her own independent research.

I don't agree that it's the roughest part of Swords.... Not by a long shot. I've already said it's not perfect but it's still a great place to live. I've no vested interest in the place. If I was thinking of selling my house to the op then maybe but I'm not. Of course the op needs to find out for themselves what it's like but someone who lives there can give a better opinion than someone who doesn't. Maybe where you lived in Rivervalley wasn't the nicest spot but where I live is lovely. Quiet, lovely neighbours, lots of green space.... I've no complaints.

I really think you need to come back and have a look around instead of judging from a distance.

To the Original Poster..... I've nothing to gain by telling you my opinion of Rivervalley. But it's an honest opinion. I love living here, not planning on going anywhere. As I said already its friendly, clean, good schools, good neighbours. Not perfect but no where is. But I'm happy and to me that's all that counts.

I don't agree that it's the roughest part of Swords.... Not by a long shot. I've already said it's not perfect but it's still a great place to live. I've no vested interest in the place. If I was thinking of selling my house to the op then maybe but I'm not. Of course the op needs to find out for themselves what it's like but someone who lives there can give a better opinion than someone who doesn't. Maybe where you lived in Rivervalley wasn't the nicest spot but where I live is lovely. Quiet, lovely neighbours, lots of green space.... I've no complaints.

I really think you need to come back and have a look around instead of judging from a distance.

To the Original Poster..... I've nothing to gain by telling you my opinion of Rivervalley. But it's an honest opinion. I love living here, not planning on going anywhere. As I said already its friendly, clean, good schools, good neighbours. Not perfect but no where is. But I'm happy and to me that's all that counts.

I was there only last week. My sister still lives there.
    It hasnt got any nicer since i was living there if thats what you mean.
    Surely you see that if you own a house in an area you do have a vested interest in how that area is seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have a stupid question, having lived in Swords for five years.

Is the jacko/rivervalley park the dense green area behind the childrens playground/soccer pitch as you go up to the swords manor shopping centre?

Stheno wrote: »
    I have a stupid question, having lived in Swords for five years.

Is the jacko/rivervalley park the dense green area behind the childrens playground/soccer pitch as you go up to the swords manor shopping centre?

Its the area between rivervalley and Swords Manor.
    You probably heard of it when you were living there.

Some terrible stories about it here

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/gangs-of-jacko-drinkers-intimidating-passersby-27792927.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/parents-in-terror-at-spate-of-child-abduction-bids-27979382.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-due-in-court-over-serious-sexual-assault-on-teen-in-park-182668-Jul2011/

https://www.esforum.org/printthread.php?tid=2674

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Tt3Yda3S3UQJ:www.crimestoppers.ie/index.php%3Fp%3Dfull-report%26type%3D1%26id%3D12+&cd=19&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I still live in Swords, near the Manor.

Never heard of any incidents tbh, and I've lived here since 2009.

Reading through your articles, there are five since 2008, not significant tbh given the size of the population of the greater Swords area.

As others have said, the park would not be a concern of mine if moving to Swords, just be sensible and don't go there after dark.

Your posts sound like proper scaremongering/dislike of the area to me.

There you go OP.
    Stories that made crimewatch on tv and the national papers, yards from rivervalley, and yet the people posting in here never heard of them. And then someone says only 5 MAJOR crimes (rapes and attempted kidnappings) since 2008 like its somehow a small number.
    And thats only because I only posted 5 links. There are plenty more is you care to google.

Im sure if any of these happened yards from your door, to your neighbours kids, you;d hear about it, but not in Rivervalley it seems.

I think the point has been made, so i'll leave you guys to your own rose tinted, new blacked out view of Rivervalley.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Jacko thing has been done to death & is taking this thread off-topic. Next mention wins a short holiday.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Swords is lovely op. It's like any town with social issues. Sure malahide even has them. I'm from Rivervalley originally. I'd have no hesitation in suggesting it for a young family. There's a lot of regeneration going on there at the moment as the elder residents move on younger couples are starting over. There's some lovely quiet parts in Rivervalley too which can be gems. In the same breath there are social issues. But nothing that would put me off wanting to live there. You've also got boroimhe, a recent estate but seems to be buikding a strong community spirit. When I was moving into my new home in drove around the area at different times of the day and night. That told me all I needed to know about the locality. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

I've lived in Forest Fields for 10 years OP and personally think it's a lovely area. I love going over to the park during the day/early evenings with my wife and young son (I don't think anyone would advise going into a park, anywhere, late at night) and I certainly wouldn't describe the area as rough. My only complaints would be the walls between houses are paper thin (however I've lived in a detached house for most of my previous life) and people leaving dogs out barking at all hours. Other than that I enjoy living here and there's plenty of good bars, restaurants and shops within walking distance. My wife commutes into town for work and the 41c and Swords express provide a regular and reliable service. I suppose if you focus on negatives, as some do, very few areas are going to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yorkiedoo

Interesting posts, thanks for starting OP. my husband and I are also thinking of buying in the swords area in the next few months. We've been looking at estates around the forest road area (ballintrane, nursuries, highfield etc) and also like the look of Milesian off drynam road. We currently live in a rental in Boroimhe and are very happy here but would perhaps like somewhere a little quieter if possible. We both work in city centre so trying to find somewhere close to swords express stops. Any advice or thoughts are welcome. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Yorkiedoo wrote: »
    Interesting posts, thanks for starting OP. my husband and I are also thinking of buying in the swords area in the next few months. We've been looking at estates around the forest road area (ballintrane, nursuries, highfield etc) and also like the look of Milesian off drynam road. We currently live in a rental in Boroimhe and are very happy here but would perhaps like somewhere a little quieter if possible. We both work in city centre so trying to find somewhere close to swords express stops. Any advice or thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Balintrane is a lovely spot i've always thought. Not too big and fairly quiet. Right on the Swords Express too..

Advertisement