Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New track "Guiding Light"

• 25-07-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just finished mixing this one. It's quite a straightforward arrangement. I'm trying to simplify things (to avoid tying myself up in knots when I'm mixing).

Overall I'm happy enough, but I think the mix lacks a bit of punch. Any suggestions are welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/mark_whelan/guiding-light-1st-mix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I made some tweaks to this - would appreciate any thoughts / comments on the mix - thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/mark_whelan/guiding-light

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Hordak

Vocal melody falls flat a lot, and meanders aimlessly at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I made some tweaks to this - would appreciate any thoughts / comments on the mix - thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/mark_whelan/guiding-light

The whole thing is good, the only downfall is the lyrics. Everything about it is really good, but there's no bite or cleverness in the lyrics. I like the guys singing and the way the band sound. This is something I would buy - an actual CD, but the lyrics are fff'ing terrible. "you're not my lover, you're not my friend" is up there with "the moon in June".

What you've done with the mix is good. I think you framed the vocal's well. But they'd really have something if they had interesting lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

The whole thing is good, the only downfall is the lyrics. Everything about it is really good, but there's no bite or cleverness in the lyrics. I like the guys singing and the way the band sound. This is something I would buy - an actual CD, but the lyrics are fff'ing terrible. "you're not my lover, you're not my friend" is up there with "the moon in June".

What you've done with the mix is good. I think you framed the vocal's well. But they'd really have something if they had interesting lyrics.

This isn't a band - it's just me. The song I linked to above is called "Guiding Light". The lyrics you quoted are from a different song called "I Want You". Fair point on the lyrics for that one, although to be fair, the subject matter on that one isn't exactly rocket science ;)

Thx for the feedback - much appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    This isn't a band - it's just me. The song I linked to above is called "Guiding Light". The lyrics you quoted are from a different song called "I Want You". Fair point on the lyrics for that one, although to be fair, the subject matter on that one isn't exactly rocket science ;)

Your voice is interesting for a couple of reasons. At first it sounds awful, but then the interesting and good qualities appear and you're drawn in. This is a good thing; voices like Michael Stipe, Morrissey, Bono, Robert Smith, Dylan, Amy Winehouse, Sean Ryder, at first listen they sound awful and people are either drawn in, or they hate the voices forever. The boy band voice, or Karoke champion voice, always sounds "good" at first listen, but there is nothing to be drawn into. The reason we've heard so little of these kinds of voices in the last decade is because of Simon Cowell. But the "indie" bands have just been as bad. But it's the voice that wouldn't pass a Simon Cowell audition.

Your music, If I played it for some of my friends, they'd go "WTF is this S***"......This is a good thing. A strong negative reaction, can also mean a strong positive reaction elsewhere. Somewhere in between doesn't get either anywhere.

Your voice sounds like there is a persona behind it (this may not actually be you). This is different than the sound of someone making sounds with their mouth. A persona draws the listener into the world of another person. I don't think it's something someone can learn how to do, it's just a quality in the voice........Now that I think of it, Dylan did create his persona by ripping off the sound of Woody Guthrie, and also, strange enough as it sounds; The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem. But most of Dylan's audience were complete unaware of those influences.

I'm not going to tell you how to write lyrics, but I think you should make them sound a little more clever, but not too clever. Don't be lazy; people use lyrics like "the moon in June", because it's an easy rhyme that pops into their heads. But there is a whole collection of these song writing clichés, the effect is not that it sounds like you're plagiarising Oasis or whoever, it sounds like you're plagiarising every bad song writer there's ever been - sometimes it does actually work though (It worked for Oasis a few times). Also think of the persona your voice creates when you're writing lyrics. Morrissey was a huge fan of the New York Dolls, but their lyrics would sound terrible coming from him, and Morrissey lyrics would sound awful coming from the New York Dolls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement