Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2-bed apartment - comes with 1 car space

Options
  • 25-07-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭

I see this again and again on ads, usually at the bottom of a blurb that describes the apartment as" ideal for a couple or a pair of single professionals".

At this point I realise that this is completely standard but it still doesn't make it any less annoying. There are three complexes that keep cropping up that are all built adjacent to the motorway and one of them isn't even on a bus route.

What do people do in this situation? And how about in gated complexes where there's no such thing as street parking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I see this again and again on ads, usually at the bottom of a blurb that describes the apartment as" ideal for a couple or a pair of single professionals".

At this point I realise that this is completely standard but it still doesn't make it any less annoying. There are three complexes that keep cropping up that are all built adjacent to the motorway and one of them isn't even on a bus route.

What do people do in this situation? And how about in gated complexes where you there's no such thing as street parking?

Suited to couples with one car or people who don't drive. Apartment complexes in recent decades were built with a minimum parking requirement of just over 1 space per unit, either 1.2 or 1.4, I can't remember the specific planning requirement. That's one space plus a share in visitor parking. Try living in a three bed with one space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They expect you to use virtual public transport.
    Just use your transporter and beam to your office like everyone else and stop complaining about our wonderful and highly practical planners who have always created perfect urban spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Share. Or walk
    walk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

What do people do in this situation? And how about in gated complexes where you there's no such thing as street parking?

In reality some people will use visitor spaces. Or they will suss out if there are any spaces that are always unoccupied and will park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

We rent an additional Carpark off a non driver at €60 p/mth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

athtrasna wrote: »
    Apartment complexes in recent decades were built with a minimum parking requirement of just over 1 space per unit, either 1.2 or 1.4,
    It wasn't a minimum parking requirement. County Councils had guidelines for the number of parking spaces they would allow for a development.
    In Fingal they had a vision of un-gated apartment developments with everybody commuting to work on the bus/dart. The planner probably drove a merc and lived in a redbrick in Glasnevin/Drumcondra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

A lot of rentals in Dublin city center are now renting the space separatly. you have to pay extra to rent the parking space too. this is because the landlord easily rents the space out to someone else. Two incomes from the one apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Dredd_J wrote: »
    A lot of rentals in Dublin city center are now renting the space separatly. you have to pay extra to rent the parking space too. this is because the landlord easily rents the space out to someone else. Two incomes from the one apartment.

Absolutely, the amount of apartment I have visited when the tenant did not have a right to a parking space is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I've seen current planning applications for detached houses in dublin CoCo where the site was LIMITED to a max of two car parking spaces. It's the leftovers from those two anti-car nazis gormley and keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What do people do in this situation? And how about in gated complexes where there's no such thing as street parking?

People cycle, run, walk.
    Most households up to 2000 only had 1 car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Seriously? In 1995 our household had five cars parked in the driveway - Parents, mine, brothers and sisters We were teenagers, and put our after school money towards cheap student cars. All dwellings should be built with 2 cars minimum, plus a percentage for visitors

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Seriously? In 1995 our household had five cars parked in the driveway - Parents, mine, brothers and sisters We were teenagers, and put our after school money towards cheap student cars. All dwellings should be built with 2 cars minimum, plus a percentage for visitors

But they're not, and haven't been for over a decade. Hence the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Rent an apartment with no parking space = €1250
    Rent the same apartment with a parking space = €1350

Thats the way its going.
    Parking spaces are rentable assets all by themselves in Dublin now.

By he way the year is now 2014 people :)

on_my_oe wrote: »

That's why I said most as opposed to all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've worked with a few people who grew up in Dublin who never even learned to drive - there was no need, because they could use public transport for everything.

There are plenty of people who are not able to drive due to age, medical reasons etc. And some (like me) who choose not to, because it's cheaper to just hire a car the odd time I need it. Saying that all apartments should have at least two parking spaces is madness.

And when I was apartment-hunting in 2007, the standard pricing was E100 extra for a place with a carpark. Nothing new there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Millem wrote: »
    In reality some people will use visitor spaces. Or they will suss out if there are any spaces that are always unoccupied and will park there.
    It might work somewhere but in properly managed complexes it could lead to your car being clamped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It might work somewhere but in properly managed complexes it could lead to your car being clamped

I wouldn't recommend doing this! But I know my friends do
    this. One never even got the chance to buy a car park space in a very very nice complex in dublin 6. (It was an "affordable" apartment bought in the boom). Another rotates with OH's car so they park in visitors 3 days each. I used to live in an apartment my OH took the space so I parked on road in complex when they have since put down double yellow lines as the bin company couldn't get down road :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

That's because in the city centre a car parking space was sold desperately to the apartment. I think 25k was the going price for one on the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

€50k in some developments

Fkall wrote: »

Some people really went bonkers. What does a parking space rent for on the docks. About 100 pm. That's 1200 a year before income tax, so a yield of what 2.4% before tax. They'd have been better off putting it on deposit!!
    Although 2.4 was probably the normal yield for any sort of property rent back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Any new developments should have a minimum of two spaces

dunner515 wrote: »

They don't though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

dunner515 wrote: »

Depends on where the apartment is. As Mrs OBumble said if it's a city center apartment then many people don't need any spaces

If it's an out of town one with limited public transport then I agree that there should be good parking provisions but not every apartment would need 2 dedicated spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Rent an apartment with no parking space = €1250
    Rent the same apartment with a parking space = €1350

Thats the way its going.
    Parking spaces are rentable assets all by themselves in Dublin now.

By he way the year is now 2014 people :)

Parking spaces, at least in some apartments including in my estate, are actually separate assets. I bought mine independently, has it's own set of title deeds, and can be sold independently of the house. This was 13 years ago, so is not a recent phenomenon

Fkall wrote: »

With a 1k car parked in it

athtrasna wrote: »
    They don't though

Why?
    In the city you don't need a car.

ted1 wrote: »
    With a 1k car parked in it

It ain't the value of the car that counts, it's how it makes you feel when you drive it.

ted1 wrote: »
    Why?
    In the city you don't need a car.

Land prices were expensive, developers wanted to get the most return for their investment. Car parking spaces (unless where sold separately) don't generate income. Thus they were more interested in putting apartments and houses in than spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

We rent an apartment to student who didnt want to pay for the parking space also so we let the space to another person in the building. Problem is now they arent paying...Its pretty difficult, unlike a house/apt (debatable), to stop people using a carpark space they are not paying for. Next time I think the space will just be included and if they dont want it, they pay for it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

We rent an apartment to student who didnt want to pay for the parking space also so we let the space to another person in the building. Problem is now they arent paying...Its pretty difficult, unlike a house/apt (debatable), to stop people using a carpark space they are not paying for. Next time I think the space will just be included and if they dont want it, they pay for it anyway.

I think it's easier. Can you not just ask the management company to tell the clampers to clamp whoever is using your space? I've done that before. People stop using it pretty sharpish

Advertisement