Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant stand RACE WEEK

Options
  • 25-07-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

so who,s with me :D? where will we go while all of ireland are in galway for stupid race week, traffic will be manic ,drunken fools puking and peeing .:rolleyes:..im sure im not the only one who couldnt care less about the auld naggs..nice posts please ,where can the family and i go to get away from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cats.life wrote: »
    so who,s with me :D? where will we go while all of ireland are in galway for stupid race week, traffic will be manic ,drunken fools puking and peeing .:rolleyes:..im sure im not the only one who couldnt care less about the auld naggs..nice posts please ,where can the family and i go to get away from it.

There's already a thread about this named Two weeks to go.

Some will agree, Some will disagree. I'm with you but the discussion is pointless. Both sides refuse to see the others side

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There's already a thread about this named Two weeks to go.

Some will agree, Some will disagree. I'm with you but the discussion is pointless. Both sides refuse to see the others side

It's not so much that they refuse to see the other's side. Some like it, some don't. If you don't like it, someone trying to tell you it's great is not going to persuade you to change your mind, and vice versa.

I get that some people love it. But I never will love it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Eeden wrote: »
    It's not so much that they refuse to see the other's side. Some like it, some don't. If you don't like it, someone trying to tell you it's great is not going to persuade you to change your mind, and vice versa.

I get that some people love it. But I never will love it myself.

That's true but the obvious faults of the week that get brought up get undermined or ignored. It's a little more than not being persuaded. It's one thing if you stick with it and love it but accept it for what it is really is, fully, warts and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I love it heading up on the Wednesday... go me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Different stroke for different folks. Lots like it, plenty don't. It's only one week of the year though so i can manage avoiding town for the next week.

10 days to go, CANNOT wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its the worst week of the year for going out in Galway by a considerable margin, unless you like large crowds of dickheads, paying twice the normal rate for a hotel and waiting half an hour to get a pint in any pub. But hey, lets not let that put off the silly people who come here for the week, they spend fortunes and I'm sure it's much appreciated by the publicans and hotel owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you don't want to go Races there's always the fantastic scenery of Connemara. There'll be little to no traffic once you pass Salthill and you can pick between great spots like Clifden, Roundstone, Spiddal, Twelve Pins, An Cheathrú Rua........to an endless list. You'd be surprised how few people living in Galway actually venture out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I agree with the above post. Just stay out of town and you'll be fine. Salthill will be busy but tolerable. Padraicins in Furbo is always nice if you need a meal. It's only a week and good for Galway. Nay sayers can suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are some lovely scenic spots in Kerry.

The Giant's Causeway is amazing.

Waterford has Tramore (aka Bundoran of the south).

Cork has an opera house and lots of high-art stuff.

The Aran islands .. the big one is peaceful each evening once the day's tourist crop has departed (and the crowds may be less this week, I'm not sure).

Lots of places we can go!

(Personally I'm stuck at work, so will just be dodging it by sticking to the side streets, and not going out next week. Am so used to the noise now that I can sleep thru anything.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It gets messy when there are multiple threads on the one topic, so lets keep it all within the pre-existing one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement