Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Store Platform

Options
  • 25-07-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good online store platform?

A friend has asked me to help them create a straightforward online store (neck ties). I'm quite good in Wordpress and Joomla, but have seen such platforms as Magento, Shopify, and OneCart mentioned in my Googling. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I used the one from register365 does the job its handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

I would recommend a custom Wordpress theme designed by a professional design company or at least a nice paid theme. Both options are a small investment that will definitely give huge plus points for the duration of the website.

Then get woocommerce for Wordpress. It's free and has many addons. Looks great and very professional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Woocommerce is excellent but it's not always appropriate. The OP needs to provide more info, for example how many products are involved, what kind of turnover is expected, how logistics and payments will be handled, what kind of data and reporting will be needed, whether stock control is required, if integration with POS will be required, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Two words: Vendor Lockin

Perhaps that package is the exception that proves the rule, but I've never come across a proprietary setup that makes it easy to export everything in an easy way.

Even WordPress.com can be awkward, although that's a fault of WordPress itself, which tends to muck up things like page order and menus.

That said, migrating from WordPress.com to self-hosted is possible, and not too onerous. And self-hosted is always your data, under your control, to do with what you wish. If Matt pops his clogs, it'll have no impact on your sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

You own and control all your images and data on this platform with all files/data exportable via Excel/.psv. how much would it cost to replicate as a custom build....to sell neckties? All the web guys I know hate products like this. the main downside is the design constraints but a good designer/graphics person can get the look with one of the multitude of templates.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Oh god this will be another Shopify Vs WooCommerce thread!!

I vote PrestaShop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any merrit in OpenCart, I actually use it and I'm wondering at it not being mentioned, am I missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish Grave Markers

Hi Amik,

We use Shopify for our site and we have no complaints. If you have any questions about setting up a Shopify store then please feel free to ask.

Regards

IGM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

+1 for opencart. I did a LOT of research on the various carts and was glad I choose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

I use Magento for my store. Personally I find it the most professional/customizable. I use the community edition. Reporting/Inventory/Catalog/POS all located in one very intuitive backend. Plus tonnes of extensions to choose from and it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

+1 for Magento , PCI plugin and lots of themes n extensions

Advertisement