Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weights equipment

Options
  • 25-07-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hope this is in the correct forum, anyway I need some help. I can no longer afford a gym membership, I need some basic equipment to use from home. I don't need to be a bodybuilder or anything, just some stuff to keep fit and lose fat. I'm 6.3 and about 260 pounds. I want a punch bag, maybe free standing that I can keep in the garden, and some weights. Maybe 10kg dumbells and a 20 kg bar, I think, I really don't know. Was also looking at a weight vest thing I thought might help. I have a budget of about 150-250. Was looking at Elvery sports online and Argos. It's just so hard to know what to get and what is good quality. Any help would be appreciated. Also I have a torn ACL in my right knee so I'm limited with what I can do, can't run, can't jump, can't squat and so on.

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

If you stretch your budget, by quite a bit, you could pick up some proper Olympic weights. Think of it as an investment, you'll never need to buy a membership to a gym again and will have them forever and a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Or, if the budget you have is fixed.
    You could get great milage out of;
    A pull up bar,
    A set of heavy resistance bands,
    A heavy kettlebell (or two)

Should leave you with change for the items you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Cheers for the advice but I'm mainly concerned with where to buy, find it very hard to judge argos stuff. 250 is stretching my budget unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Chase3 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice but I'm mainly concerned with where to buy, find it very hard to judge argos stuff. 250 is stretching my budget unfortunately :(

Avoid the vinyl weights in places like Argos. Cast iron all the way.

Also, check out adverts.ie and donedeal.ie

Advertisement