Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Way Article

• 26-07-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭

www.bbc.com/sport/0/get-inspired/27994073

Fairly impressive stuff, I've been reading his blog for a bit.

Not sure about the, trained for three weeks and finished in just over 3 hours, though!

TbL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Amazing story and man. I have been following his progress for a while. The inspirational is thrown about a lot these days but in this case, it is most deserved.

At 33 he was an overweight, unfit man. Fast forward 7 years and he is running a 2.16 training run marathon. Remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Amazing story and man. I have been following his progress for a while. The inspirational is thrown about a lot these days but in this case, it is most deserved.

At 33 he was an overweight, unfit man. Fast forward 7 years and he is running a 2.16 training run marathon. Remarkable.

I had the pleasure of meeting and sharing a pint or two with Steve Way a couple of years back and he is a real character. For a man who is so dedicated and single minded he doesnt take himself too seriously. He is a genuinely nice lad who seems surprised at his own success. Certainly an inspiration in the way he applies himself to training programmes and the attitude he brings to racing, he really gets the best out of his ability and when it doesnt go to plan he makes no excuses and doesnt pout.

Love his saying. Simple and to the point:

'DON'T BE SH*T!'

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

www.bbc.com/sport/0/get-inspired/27994073

Fairly impressive stuff, I've been reading his blog for a bit.

Not sure about the, trained for three weeks and finished in just over 3 hours, though!

TbL[/QUOTE
    Thanks for sharing that article.Excellent read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck to Steve tomorrow. I love his story about being ushered into the elite tent after finishing London and trying to tell the stewards his gear was back at the bag drop with everyone else's.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Best of luck to Steve tomorrow. I love his story about being ushered into the elite tent after finishing London and trying to tell the stewards his gear was back at the bag drop with everyone else's.

Any idea is it being shown live,and what time if it is?

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Any idea is it being shown live,and what time if it is?

Looks at be on BBC 1 from 8.55 tomorrow.

Looks at be on BBC 1 from 8.55 tomorrow.

Cheers,Dublin runner.Mite set the recorder then,just uncase I have a few beers and sleep in.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

66:49 at halfway, just 39 seconds outside his half PB. On course for a big PB if he can maintain this pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

2:15.16 V40 uk record taken from Ron Hill

• Advertisement

2:15:16 for 10th place. A great run and another PB. Delighted for him. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Race was won by Aussie Mike Shelley who ran a good steady pace to overtake the leader and win the race in the last few miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Clearlier wrote: »
    66:49 at halfway, just 39 seconds outside his half PB. On course for a big PB if he can maintain this pace.

2:15:16! & 10th place. A mighty run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

And a great interview afterwards. What a bloke!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

he's going to be interviewed on bbc1 around 8:45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Some man. Love reading stories like that about people turning their lives around and becoming world class athletes! Inspirational! Reminds me of the Peter Maher story who went from a 16/17 stone smoker to a 2:11 marathoner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

Race was won by Aussie Mike Shelley who ran a good steady pace to overtake the leader and win the race in the last few miles.

i'd love to know what type of gel he took around mile 24?:eek:

ooter wrote: »
    i'd love to know what type of gel he took around mile 24?:eek:

Did he not take it at the 35k feed/water station? It may be mainly psychological at that stage. Very impressive running. A tactical masterclass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

Did he not take it at the 35k feed/water station? It may be mainly psychological at that stage. Very impressive running. A tactical masterclass.

yeah i'd say you're right,i was just guessing at mile 24 to be honest,i just knew it was near the end of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

steve on bbc 1 now interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Short but nice. Came across as described earlier in the thread, decent nice guy. Reconfirmed my admiration of the man. Some athlete now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

His blog is brilliant, deffo one to follow and go back to every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/ as username marigold if anyone is interested in his history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

"so I went off with an official 2:15 pacemaker and had a great run. "

eeek......there's a 2.15 pacer?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    "so I went off with an official 2:15 pacemaker and had a great run. "

eeek......there's a 2.15 pacer?

There was for this years London. Steve had actually planned to unofficially pace 2:30 because a few in the club were eyeing up that milestone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Seriously 3 weeks and just over 3 hour marathon. How is this possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Seriously 3 weeks and just over 3 hour marathon. How is this possible?

I reckon it's a mistake by the journalist. I mean, it's gotta be, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I thought so too, but it's mentioned everywhere. Not entirely beyond the realms of possibility I suppose. I'm all for freaks of nature but a three hour marathon from 16.5 stone and fags is mental!

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    I thought so too, but it's mentioned everywhere. Not entirely beyond the realms of possibility I suppose. I'm all for freaks of nature but a three hour marathon from 16.5 stone and fags is mental!

His weight yo-yo'd a lot at the time. I'm pretty sure that he wasn't 16.5 stone at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Tons of natural talent gives him his sub-3. Add in hard work on top of that and he geta to sub 2:20. All very beleivable (And the marathon isn't even his target event, or best event!!).

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Tons of natural talent gives him his sub-3. Add in hard work on top of that and he geta to sub 2:20. All very beleivable (And the marathon isn't even his target event, or best event!!).

I'm curious about how he would be seen within ultra circles. Has the 6:19 put him on the radar of serious ultra runners? Do you think that he will be seen as a contender at Comrades next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I'm curious about how he would be seen within ultra circles. Has the 6:19 put him on the radar of serious ultra runners? Do you think that he will be seen as a contender at Comrades next year?

On the radar? 6:19 is 10th fastest 100k time ever. He will be one of the favourites for the world champs this year if he runs. Hes a championship racer too so I wouldnt back against him, I think that the way he goes about his business a crack at the world record isnt an outlandish ambition.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    On the radar? 6:19 is 10th fastest 100k time ever. He will be one of the favourites for the world champs this year if he runs. Hes a championship racer too so I wouldnt back against him, I think that the way he goes about his business a crack at the world record isnt an outlandish ambition.

I'll take that as a yes then ;-).

I don't know much about ultra running. The little I hear seems to focus more on events than distances so I've no idea how meaningful records are for distances. He's only had one disappointing A race that I can think of so I imagine that he would have to be one of the favourites in the world championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

I don't know much about ultra running. The little I hear seems to focus more on events than distances so I've no idea how meaningful records are for distances. He's only had one disappointing A race that I can think of so I imagine that he would have to be one of the favourites in the world championships.

Ultrarunning is simply any race which is longer than a marathon. So it covers a wide range of events, from trail ultras (which tend to be event focused, probably what you are referring to), distance events, (50km, 100km, 1000km would be amongst the more prominant of those for which world records are kept), and time events (12 hours, 24 hours, 6 days would be the more prominant of those for which world records are kept). There are world championships in 50km, 100km, 24 hours and ultra trail.

Steve Way will obviously enough be a favourite for the world 100km, having run the 10th fastest time of all time this year.

Advertisement