Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a pug puppy!

• 26-07-2014 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

I can't think of anywhere else this could go.. Mods move it if I'm in the wrong place :)

I want to buy a pug puppy for my girlfriend for her birthday she's wanted one for years but we could never find anywhere to get one! Does anyone know any breeders in Dublin wicklow or Kildare? Also what's a decent price to pay for one.. Some people are charging 800 or more!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Got this from the Irish Kennel Club www.ikc.ie

Irish Pug Dog Club
    Mr R Kilpatrick
    Kerronmor House, Woodrooffe,Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
    Phone: 052-6135288
    E-Mail: kerronmor@eircom.net

I wouldn't do down the donedeal, etc route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

With a pug, you want to make sure that there's good breeding behind them as they are so so prone to health issues. You'll want to have paper work of the health checks both the parents and puppies have gone through.

You want to try and find a breeder with either a waiting list or someone who is NOT advertising on websites like donedeal (as odckdo said) as chances are you won't be looking at a breeder with a good reputation who has people looking for his/her puppies due to their good breeding. Expect to pay E500+ for a puppy.

Also, DON'T get her a puppy unless she has clearly expressed her serious intent to get one (saying "I'd love one of those!" doesn't count. ;) ). Owning any sort of dog is a big deal and should not be taken lightly as a dog is generally going to be in someone's life 10-15 years!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

VonVix wrote: »
    With a pug, you want to make sure that there's good breeding behind them as they are so so prone to health issues. You'll want to have paper work of the health checks both the parents and puppies have gone through.

You want to try and find a breeder with either a waiting list or someone who is NOT advertising on websites like donedeal (as odckdo said) as chances are you won't be looking at a breeder with a good reputation who has people looking for his/her puppies due to their good breeding. Expect to pay E500+ for a puppy.

Also, DON'T get her a puppy unless she has clearly expressed her serious intent to get one (saying "I'd love one of those!" doesn't count. ;) ). Owning any sort of dog is a big deal and should not be taken lightly as a dog is generally going to be in someone's life 10-15 years!

No she really does want it :p she's wanted one for over 20 years but her parents could never afford it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    No she really does want it :p she's wanted one for over 20 years but her parents could never afford it!

Good! It's just a lot of people buy dogs as a gift for all the wrong reasons, seems all too common.

Best of luck, and whatever you do don't rush it and go for the first litter you see! Especially when it comes to pugs. And pet insurance is a must.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Pugs are an expensive breed to raise so you probably will be paying around €800 for a puppy from a reputable breeder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

At the risk of getting my head bitten off I think you should probably put this off for a few birthdays seeing as your partner is about to give birth. Congratulations! :)

Use the time to research the breed, go to some shows, meet some reputable breeders etc.

Your partners priorities might change after the baby so do be sure to check in with her again before you go ahead with this. Also there are an awful lot of dogs in shelters due to children having allergies or asthma so this is all something you will need to consider.

Pugs are an expensive breed for a reason and they are an even more expensive breed if you get a poorly bred one or one with health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Id also day just because you want a dog, is not a good enough reason. I'm assuming you've checked out that she has time to mind it, you have room, a garden, money for its food and vets bills, it won't be alone all day, is she prepared to have an adult dog in 6 months that needs training and daily walks.

I mainly ask since I was volunteering at shelters lately, and so many of the dogs there are gifts from boyfriends.
    The people there say dogs are so personal, you wouldn't buy someone else shoes, and you shouldn't buy someone else a dog.

I'd say you offer to pay for a dog, and arrange a trip to a breeder or shelter. Please don't turn up out of the blue with a puppy in a box.

Also you're profile says you're 18? If you and your girlfriend are that age I would worry, especially if your at an age where you might be moving around as most places don't take pets.

Advertisement