Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland at the 41st World Chess Olympiad Tromsø 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

While I can understand why Colm Daly is not playing today, it is harder to explain why he wasn't playing yesterday against a weak Andorra. One of the higher rated players could have been rested in that match. Andorra had: 2523, 2222, 2176, 2117 and should have been beatable whatever team we fielded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Zugszwang

This team selection discussion is getting a bit silly (Colm's past behaviour etc.). Many Olympiad captains take the view that there's 4 on the team plus one or two subs. If the A-team are keen and ready to play, they play. On when one or more of them want a rest, they're rested. Subs aren't 'rested' as such, that's just their normal position.

How many people have told their league captain that they can play a match only to be told they're being rested and a sub played instead? It doesn't happen.

I agree it's a rotten feeling for Colm; they only thing I'd say is that the captain (or the ICU) should really make their policy on team selection clear to the players before the event, preferably before they decide to play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

I agree with Macelligot anyway that yesterday might have been a good day to rest Sam, who has played all games, and play Colm. But certainly I think Colm should get some more games because 2 1/2 out of 3 is a good record and he is also vastly experienced etc. Apparently he only drew that game because of confusion over time as well.

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Zugszwang wrote: »
    ...they only thing I'd say is that the captain (or the ICU) should really make their policy on team selection clear to the players before the event, preferably before they decide to play in it.
    Very likely this has already been done. Is Colm actually unhappy about not playing, or is it just idle speculation here?

Its just speculation, I am sure Colm understands ok. But just on the question of subs yes sure some captains would look upon it that way, that Colm is just the sub, but bear in mind that he is not significantly lower rated than most of the team. And while all the team have been Irish champions Colm has been so for 6 years out of the last 17. That matters I think because its a bit analogous to this tournament with a game a day for 10 days or so and shows his experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mikhail wrote: »
    Very likely this has already been done. Is Colm actually unhappy about not playing, or is it just idle speculation here?
    He's making noises about it on his blog at the moment ("Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die", not only butchering Tennyson but forgetting the preceding line as well...)

Meanwhile, today's games are up here...

Anyway all the games look about even but Alex Lopez is sacrificing everything on a push on the opponent's kingside having signed up to the castling for wimps brigade himself. Maybe it will work but meantime he has opened his own kingside up a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Saric v Lupescu is interesting in the Serbia v Romania game. 17 moves into a Caro-Kann advance, and white has sacced three pawns already. Computer calling it dead level. Could be a fun one, that!

Palau v Burundi in the women's section is interesting too; Palau have won 3½-½, though it looks like all games were defaults on the zero tolerance rule. I can only imagine the draw was because neither player was present. The Guardian had a bit about an 11-year-old girl on the Rwandan team being brought to tears because she forfeited a game under this rule in an earlier round.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Alex Lopez's game is fascinating. The computer is writing him off almost but he is lining up a pile driver on the kingside and it looks interesting anyway? Presumably given a chance he will go g4.

g4 surely locks things up too much?

I'd imagine gh is coming next, when white can't take back because of the pin.

Obviously white gets a move in between.

Diana's basically lost. Solid enough elsewhere in that match though.

gh? I don't think g4 locked things up? Its wide open now it seems...

Its an all or nothing attack anyway I'd say, if white consolidates I don't think Alex will hold on.

brianhere wrote: »
    gh? I don't think g4 locked things up? Its wide open now it seems...
    How's he going to attack with the g and h files permanently closed though? With the major pieces lined up, he needed to open files to attack down rather than close them, which is what he did. Still, computer reckons he's close on lost now.

Edit - actually, computer didn't like that last move. Though in any event, given the computer's previous record, maybe I should try looking at the position myself rather than instinctively trusting to it :)

Karina is lost too actually; not a great day for the women's team at all against a side seeded below them. Might rescue a 2-2 draw, but that seems the height of ambitions there.

I agree totally he needs to keep it open down there but he still has chances here, there is stuff going on?
    He has now moved the bishop down I think in order to think of putting his rook on the h file.

Shaw is a bit iffy on time, 5 minutes for 17 moves?

Incredible blunder in Karina's game - her opponent, at R+4 v R+1, hung her rook! So it's 1-1 there now.

Alex's position is quite interesting alright, and more attack-minded players than me will be able to give better analysis, but I think white has a lot of weak points defended, and it's quite hard for black to find an entry point to be honest. And now his f-pawn is falling too.

Don't forget the 30 second increments. 5 minutes on the clock for 17 moves is actually 13 minutes. Lots of time.

• Advertisement

True I keep forgetting that, what about if Alex goes king to d7 and gets the other rook going, it could get messy? I dont think white can take that pawn on f just yet...

It's not straightforward to be sure, but white is a pawn up as well; can just swap off major pieces and has to have an advantage in that ending. But I'm sure there's better; black's king is getting a bit exposed too.

Gearóidín and Hannah have material advantages; looking at a 3-1 win against Qatar now.

brianhere wrote: »
    True I keep forgetting that, what about if Alex goes king to d7 and gets the other rook going, it could get messy? I dont think white can take that pawn on f just yet...
    That's what he's done anyway; computer says snap the pawn off. Can't see a reason not to tbh. Two pawns up then, and that's definitely a winning endgame if the major pieces come off.

Hannah's opponent blunders a piece; 3-1 all but guaranteed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Sam's just a pawn up it looks like. His opponent only has a minute plus increments for his next 6 moves, looks promising.

Lopez has resigned. 1-0 down. Looks like 2-2 would be a great result at this stage.

• Advertisement

Czech Republic looking like beating Russia 3-1. Big result that. Could we see a non-former-Soviet-bloc winner this year?

Meanwhile, Ireland's 3-1 win over Qatar is confirmed.

We could go down 1-3 yet, with draws for Sam and Baburin and a loss for Mark as well. His position is very restricted, with a virtually dead knight, Baburin's is very drawn looking and while Sam is up a pawn it still looks very even.

Baburin should have a draw with the b-pawns gone. Heidenfeld's king looks in big trouble. Looks like a 2.5-1.5 defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Ireland are certain to lose the match.

It looks like the reason Colm wasnt playing is JOC forgot to put the team in.

Where'd you hear that?

Is the default team always the top four so?

Edit - shouldn't have had to ask. Colm prattling away on his blog already. He'll probably play the last four rounds now, so sure no real harm done.

• Advertisement

Mark down material now; inevitable after that onslaught.

Looks like he missed a chance on move 46 though - instead of KxP, Qd5 brings him back into it (if still worse), with an immediate threat on f7. But I guess he was glad of the chance to snap off that pawn; easy done in the circumstances.

Only question now is whether Sam can win. We've seen before that endgames a pawn up are far from won.

Edit - Mark resigns. 2-0 down now.

Looks like Sam should win a second pawn now.

Well Sam played well because he has swallowed another pawn and so should win so thats a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 defeat for us.

Sam's wins. He finished that off very clinically.

In very quickly there!

Naiditsch beat Carlsen with the black pieces as Germany beat Norway. I think Azerbaijan are the outright leaders now with three rounds to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Harbour Man

Ireland are certain to lose the match.

Colm should be playing more often. His absence doesn't help.

Says Colm. Ha. I'll wait to see what JOC says, if Colm told me the sky was blue, I'd look up before believing him.

Colm should be playing more often. His absence doesn't help.
    His absence doesn't help what how?

I can understand checknraise saying Daly may be about equal to Heidenfeld. But I don't see how our team would be improved by dropping an IM to bring in an FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭EnPassant

The draw for the next round is out:-

- the Open team play Macedonia (about 100 points higher than Scotland on average)
    - the Women play Bosnia & Herzogovina (whose ratings are from 2293 down to 2032)

Who did Scotland get, out of interest?

We're due a good result. Tomorrow maybe?

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    Who did Scotland get, out of interest?

We're due a good result. Tomorrow maybe?

Scotland got Iceland in the next round.

Iceland have an average rating of 2521, Macedonia 2484.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Zugszwang

Sparks wrote: »
    Says Colm. Ha. I'll wait to see what JOC says, if Colm told me the sky was blue, I'd look up before believing him.

Missing the deadline for team submission happens regularly in team events like the Olympiad.

Missing the deadline for team submission happens regularly in team events like the Olympiad.

The sky is regularly blue as well. I'd still check.

I am sure it happened the way Colm says in his blog but on the other hand it's hardly a major issue and confirms anyway that they intend playing him again in the competition, which is good.

Really? How come? Seems a straightforward thing to just send in a sheet of paper.

Sparks wrote: »

If I said the same about you, you would probably be offended, and rightly so.
    His absence doesn't help what how?

I can understand checknraise saying Daly may be about equal to Heidenfeld. But I don't see how our team would be improved by dropping an IM to bring in an FM.

Using the same players over and over again doesn't help, especially if you have an equally good player warming the bench.

Using the same players over and over again doesn't help, especially if you have an equally good player warming the bench.
    Nonsense. The players in the squad are well capable of one game a day. Sure they manage three a day in Bunratty and Kilkenny. And the Olympiad - with a rest or two - is less arduous than the more comparable Irish Championships.

And I disagree there's an equally good player warming the bench.

Really? How come? Seems a straightforward thing to just send in a sheet of paper.

Actually, I think you enter the team online - there is a link for team captains to enter the daily team composition at http://chess-results.com/.

EnPassant wrote: »
    Scotland got Iceland in the next round.

Iceland have an average rating of 2521, Macedonia 2484.
    Interesting. Obviously we couldn't have gotten Iceland, having already played them. But at least we didn't lose out too much by losing to Scotland.
    EnPassant wrote: »
    Actually, I think you enter the team online - there is a link for team captains to enter the daily team composition at http://chess-results.com/.
    Makes sense I guess. Still, don't understand how it'd be common to miss the submission deadline?

• Advertisement

I disagree there's an equally good player warming the bench.

Rubbish. Look at the results.

Advertisement