Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FJR or VFR 1200

• 26-07-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Which would you go for? T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Old or new. "Manual" or automatic ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Very different bikes TBH, although you would not think so. I had a long spin on a 2010 VFR1200 not too long ago and it has its pros and cons but suffice to say it does not handle like a tourer. Have not had the chance of a spin on the FJR1300 but by all accounts its a very good bike (shame about the 5 speed gearbox)

If its all out touring I would go for the Yamaha. If its a bit of everything the VFR1200 would be a good choice.....then again so would a much less expensive Blackbird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

100% agree with wondaburger. Vfr1200 sporty semi tourer vs pure tourer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Would u consider a Honda Crosstourer?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I have the the vfr1200 and I am quite happy with it. Moves incredibly well for the size and weight of it and it is well able to keep up in the twistys too.

As said though if it's all about touring I would not say it would be ideal as the fuel range is shocking and it's a sport enough sitting position also. However I am taking mine to Europe in a few weeks and have know doubt it is going to serve me very well indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Between the VFR and FJR, I'd go with the multistrada :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    Between the VFR and FJR, I'd go with the multistrada :pac:

Id go with the Aprilla Caponord 1200

[URL="[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/bhizv9.png[/IMG]"]bhizv9.png[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

blade1 wrote: »
    Would u consider a Honda Crosstourer?

Nah. Might as well go for a GS 1200. T

I'm really looking for something that will protect me from the elements. Think the FJR is better at that. T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

txpjl wrote: »
    I'm really looking for something that will protect me from the elements. Think the FJR is better at that. T

Have you considered a Pan?

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    Have you considered a Pan?

Not a huge fan of these. T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

txpjl wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of these. T

What about a GTR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The beemer RT is supposed to be a great tourer, handles brilliantly. Haven't driven one myself, but mate had one and loved it.
    1200GS adventure has great protection form the elements too, in the form of a massive petrol tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

The fjr's are hard to beat
    Very reliable and capable tourer

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I've the 2012 vfr1200 and it is a very capable bike, as for fuel range I was refuelling it with 190 miles completed fully loaded and 2 up last week travelling down the south of Ireland. I was not going nuts but was keeping it between 60 - 80 a lot of the time. The luggage is smaller than the vfr800,you have to think what you pack when travelling 2 up. Its also more comfortable than the vfr800 for me anyway. Overall I'm very happy with it, the engine is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

I recently traded up from a Deauville to a BMW R1200RT. The Bee M is a mighty bike, comfortable, fast, handles great and best of all massively economical.

I test rode a GTR, again lovely bike but was a bit sports bike like when on it. I also looked at an FJR with the automatic gearbox, but shied away due to many bad review I had read. Maybe a person should try before putting any credence into what the journo's say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I put 78,000 miles on an FJR, nearly all with a pillion. I looked after it mostly myself.

I get sick of hearing that they aren't sporty. If you can't get an fjr to keep up with anything else other than litre sport bikes then your problem is you, not the bike. They are 145bhp. Cruise all day at 160 kph. Riding position is great and the electric screen is great. They are a bit short on toys for the usual bmw customer I guess.

Stock suspension doesn't last. You need to keep the lower suspension pivot greased once a year.

They are also very narrow, narrower than a deauville. Can filter nicely, weight is nice and low.

Looks how many police forces around the world use them. They are a great bike.

Maybe talked myself into another one here. I just want something a bit lighter at the time. I got an xt660z. Might be lighter on paper but the weight is higher. Throwing that into a corner takes courage, I no longer have.

Fjr looks are getting dated though.

Advertisement