Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Masked Thieves Knocked Me Off My Bike And Stole It"

• 26-07-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

From THe Herald
    Masked thieves knocked me off bike and stole it

By Luke Byrne and Ken Foy – 26 July 2014 12:00 AM
    a MOTORBIKE owner has described the terrifying moment when two thugs knocked him off his bike and threatened to stab before stealing his vehicle.

Michael Dalton (52) was driving to work on Wednesday morning when he stopped to get a newspaper, near the Cappagh Road in Finglas.

Shortly after picking up the paper he was stopped at a red light on his Honda CBR-600RR at around 7.15am when he was approached from behind by the hooded men.

The father-of-three said that he could only see their eyes and estimated that both his assailants were both aged between 25 and 30.

"I was stopped at the shop to get the newspaper. I came back out of the shop and I was stopped at the traffic lights.

"Suddenly these two thugs came and pushed me over," he told the Herald.

"I fell and I was trapped underneath the bike, the cars around didn't see and obviously just thought I'd fallen. They were screaming that they wanted the bike," he added.

As he lay on the ground one of the men grabbed him by the helmet and dragged him from underneath the vehicle.

As he got up Mr Dalton said that he was wrestling with one of the men, when the other started towards him.

"They were saying that they were going to stab me. I was wrestling with one and the other came towards me.

"He had his hand in his pocket and I didn't know what he had, it could have been a knife, it could event have been a gun," he added.

It was then that Mr Dalton decided to throw the keys away, before one of the men picked them up, got on the bike and sped away south on the Cardiff Bridge Road.

"I didn't want my children seeing their father on a hospital bed," he said.

Mr Dalton said that the incident happened very quickly. He was left shocked, but otherwise uninjured in the ordeal.

A woman stopped and rang the police and a squad car was on the scene within minutes. Mr Dalton drove around Finglas with the gardai but could not find the thugs.

"What annoys me is I was just on my way to work to pay my mortgage and to raise my kids.

"Then these scumbags, who have probably never worked a day in their lives, come and steal my bike," he said.

Gardai at Finglas have launched an investigation"

The man did the right thing without a doubt, in backing down when confronted with the possibility of a knife being introduced. I'm so angry even thinking what the chap had to endure mentally for those couple of minutes he was preyed upon by those scrotes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I genuinely hope they come off the bike in a bad way. What a bunch of cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

This is unfortunately the way the country is fast becoming.....one of the reasons why I never sit in neutral at a traffic light and constantly check around me. Even if caught nothing the justice system would fail big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

same as that wonda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Do the same as Wonda too.

Bunch of scumbags, i hope the man is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Unreal. :(

This is what we get when there's no deterrent to crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    This is unfortunately the way the country is fast becoming.....one of the reasons why I never sit in neutral at a traffic light and constantly check around me. Even if caught nothing the justice system would fail big time.
    I'd put money on it that if they're caught (if!) they'll have a list of previous charges as long as my arm. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

My first thought was that my gloves have carbon fibre knuckles, but realistically I'd have done the same. He was right not to put up a fight, it's not worth the risk when you're outnumbered and possibly out-gunned.

That being said though, if I heard on the news later that the same two guys hit a truck head on I wouldn't lose a single second of sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Kev.OC wrote: »
    My first thought was that my gloves have carbon fibre knuckles, but realistically I'd have done the same. He was right not to put up a fight, it's not worth the risk when you're outnumbered and possibly out-gunned.

That being said though, if I heard on the news later that the same two guys hit a truck head on I wouldn't lose a single second of sleep.

My fears would be for the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

My fears would be for the bike.

My fears would be for some innocent lad/girl behind a till somewhere.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kev.OC wrote: »

Yeah, there's nothing you can do sometimes. Imagine you're looking at the other junction for the light sequence to change and all of a sudden you're on your arse on the ground, one knacker on top of you and another taking your bike.
    Really annoys me reading that, but definitely worth being alert when you're driving through certain areas, and lets be honest, most of us can spot the sort of skanger who does this a mile away. They have that look.
    I doubt they'd be any loss to society if they had an accident. At least the biker was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Nightmare situation alright. All the motorbike gear can be quite restrictive & you would find it hard to be agile in a fight.

Nightmare situation alright. All the motorbike gear can be quite restrictive & you would find it hard to be agile in a fight.

That makes me angry. Scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

WTF!!!!!!

The **** you attitude on him, I would have floored it and took him with me the green card head on him! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Those kinda of scumbags should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

Some good value dining sets! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just noticed this thread now. I was stopped at the junction of the South Circular Road and Cork Street last night and had two lads try to approach me when I was waiting for the lights to turn. Just as they got closer, I dropped it into 1st and took off.

About 4 years ago had something similar in the same place, a car full of lads tried to jump me on my ZZR1400. This was right after a lady was pulled off a Ducati in the same place. Just so you're all aware, it seems to be a bit of a hot spot.

I think I need to have my GoPro on more :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

Here in the states I have a concealed carry permit.
    Tends to level the field nicely.

Here in the states I have a concealed carry permit.
    Tends to level the field nicely.

I doubt some of those scum can read, show that to a thief and they wouldn't know what they're lookin at !! and rob you anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

I doubt some of those scum can read, show that to a thief and they wouldn't know what they're lookin at !! and rob you anyway
    I doubt somehow he'd be showing them the concealed permit, more like a Ruger SR45 :pac:

^^
    I've printed off a concealed permit to use in such an occasion as this should it present itself, but I think I've lost it or its too concealed. Was sure I left it on the dresser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

I doubt somehow he'd be showing them the concealed permit, more like a Ruger SR45 :pac:

Very true. It's a last resort but I wouldn't hesitate if I was put in a situation that left me in danger of losing my life. I rarely carry as where I live is very safe but there are times I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Similar happened to a guy who drinks in the Gypsy in the same area, pulled off his bike and the bike was stolen.

I'd almost laugh if it happened to me, I train and fight f*ckers like these pricks for laughs, only regret is I wouldn't have a GoPro to record it for giggles.

Finglas is one area of Dublin which I wouldn't drop my guard for love 'nor money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Scumbags for sure. What do people think they would be robbing the bike in that manner for? It hardly sounds like the work of crims nicking a bike as a getaway for a job. Seems pretty dumb to rob a bike like that, like you know the Gardai are going to be alerted ASAP while the bike is still in the area. Joyriders who just couldn't give a sh1t perhaps ?

I've never heard of this type of bike theft before, it's pretty frightening as I'd well believe lads like that would be carrying knives or some weapon.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Just noticed this thread now. I was stopped at the junction of the South Circular Road and Cork Street last night and had two lads try to approach me when I was waiting for the lights to turn. Just as they got closer, I dropped it into 1st and took off.

About 4 years ago had something similar in the same place, a car full of lads tried to jump me on my ZZR1400. This was right after a lady was pulled off a Ducati in the same place. Just so you're all aware, it seems to be a bit of a hot spot.

I think I need to have my GoPro on more :mad:
    That junction was on my commute for about 6 years, saw a few dodgy heads around. Only approached once, but that was just by a junkie that wanted to tell me he used to have a bike, how fast does mine go etc etc.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Scumbags for sure. What do people think they would be robbing the bike in that manner for? It hardly sounds like the work of crims nicking a bike as a getaway for a job. Seems pretty dumb to rob a bike like that, like you know the Gardai are going to be alerted ASAP while the bike is still in the area. Joyriders who just couldn't give a sh1t perhaps ?

I've never heard of this type of bike theft before, it's pretty frightening as I'd well believe lads like that would be carrying knives or some weapon.
    The skangers couldn't give a rats ass about the gardai being alerted, even if a squad car 100m away they'll know all the rat runs down alleyways like the back of their hand.
    Joyriders alright. I heard that a load of knáckers in finglas stole a ducati 999, after driving it around for a few hours they stuck it up on bricks, tied the throttle open just to see the engine blow. Anything for a bit of entertainment :mad:

Similar happened to a guy who drinks in the Gypsy in the same area, pulled off his bike and the bike was stolen.

I'd almost laugh if it happened to me, I train and fight f*ckers like these pricks for laughs, only regret is I wouldn't have a GoPro to record it for giggles.

Finglas is one area of Dublin which I wouldn't drop my guard for love 'nor money.

I sort of despise this chap that I see on grafton st everyday, but who am I to judge, top man! haha, he has spidey skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

If your man was in a regular commute I wouldn't be surprised if the scumbags had seen him before and targeted his bike specifically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I gotta admit that I'm so happy that I live in Switzerland when I read threads like these. Nobody has ground anchors and some of the bikes around here are top top notch. Never hear of this type of thing happening either. Dunno why not though but can't say I'm complaining.

How the bastards get what's coming to em.

Advertisement