Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Blind Spot Help, Please

Options
  • 26-07-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I have a pc in a tiny room in my house that has poor or no wifi signal. I've was with utvinternet for about 12 years and as I got no wifi signal in this room I used Netgear powerline plugs. I had great internet access with these.

I changed to UPC a few months ago and get a weak wifi signal on pc in this room ( but I can use my phone on wifi here, no problem).
    I decided to use the Powerline plugs again but they didn't work very well. I bought new TP Link powerline plugs and its the same. Sometimes I can connect the the powerline plugs plugged in. Sometimes I can only connect with a weak wifi signal. Mostly I cant connect at all. I cant understand why the powerline plugs dont work well with UPC .Has it anything to do with it being fiber optic? Might it be something to do with software I might have downloaded. I deleted key scrambler software and thought it worked better and turned off avast but its just as bad as ever. Any solutions anybody, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Any changes to wiring in your house since the plugs last worked? Are you using the same wall points? It's nothing to do with the type of internet connection you have.

How exactly are you connecting to the plugs? Are they wifi enabled or something? Can you post the model no.

Just as a point of information what comes into your house from UPC isn't fiber optic, it's coaxial cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

You issue doesn't relate to the way UPC deliver your internet connection.

powerlines may not work at certain sockets depending on how your house is wired.

If your phone is receiving connectivity, but the computer isn't, you could consider that you're holding your phone at an elevated position probably near the centre of the room. You probably have the pc positioned on the floor in a corner which has poorer signal.

Do you know what type of wireless standard your router and wireless card are other capable of? (a/b/g/n/ac) Consider buying a newer wireless card if your current one supports a lower standard compared to the router.

If your router is in a poor location, considering moving it to provide greater WiFi coverage throughout your house.

Jess11 wrote: »
    I deleted key scrambler software and thought it worked better and turned off avast but its just as bad as ever. Any solutions anybody, please?

This is irrelevant.
    Always leave your anti-virus software turned on.
    Not what what you're referring to by "key scrambler software"

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jess11

Thanks TheChizler and Polar Ice for your help.

Advertisement