Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whole departments put on pips

Options
  • 26-07-2014 6:32pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10

i have normally see this happen to indiviual people. But i am right in thinking that it is strange for nearly all permenent employees in a business to be told that they are all going to be put on pips when you have reached a years service? Bear in mind its happening to people that are there 1 year or more and nearly all employees are going to be put on pips ???

The job role has also sort of been changed to what is was to start off with and each person seems to have different sort of targets set for them.

thats what going down at my workplace and I think its strange. It is sort of new company so i dont think it is happening because there are going to close down and to avoid paying redundancy or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

This is very familiar to me, where I used to work they did the same thing, they've put everyone on PIP and after 3 months they closed down

Zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Sounds very strange. A PIP afaik is down to personal performance , so the odds that everyone in a whole team would need one at the same time ..

It sounds like they are trying to close the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

InReality wrote: »
    Sounds very strange. A PIP afaik is down to personal performance , so the odds that everyone in a whole team would need one at the same time ..

It sounds like they are trying to close the place down.

While an individual on a a PIP might avoid a entitlement to statutory redundancy for that person, putting the entire company on one would like "fishy" to the Labour court.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sounds very dodgy. Is the department measured by performance like Revenue or something and has it missed it's combined targets or KPI's badly?

Normally a PIP is for a none performing employee not a whole department.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 woof40

yes it is almost every people off a team ... so there are team of ten + asaik around 8 of ten are being put on it.

I know this happens when places close down, but this company is always taking on new people and has ads now in irish jobs etc for new staff lol

thinking of joining a union ... most staff are very young here ... ie : under 25 , i dont think one of them would know to even join a union lol

• Advertisement

seems to be happening to anyone working there for a year, that woulda got a small pay rise recently :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Has anyone been dismissed as a result?

Has anyone raised a grievance?

The issue with any sort of performance management is that unless it's targeted it's useless. If I employ people and say, here's your target it's €20 million a week selling bibles, it's not going to hold up in an unfair dismissal claim as it's an unrealistic target. The company concerned is a bit daft letting the employees get to the stage of being in situ for more than 12 months if they want rid.

What you will probably find going on is that managers at all levels in the organisation are doing this to make it look like they are doing something about an entire arm of a business under performing.

Noting new under the Sun OP. This wouldn't be a recently enough opened Irish arm of a UK based business would it? Perhaps with transplanted management from the UK.

@ bespoke - yeah it is ... lol ... there is a whole tread on this board about how great it is lol ... different people are getting different targets aswell .. so one person does not have the same targets as another ... no one been dismissed so far but i think that is what they are trying to do ...
    Worryingly noone seems to stand up this sort of stuff.i heard co-workers just say "er ok" when being told this was happening to them. i guess because the staff quite young they dont get it could get serious. I worried for one guy im friends with. He was randomly picked to go on it . Overall his targets are better then others in the place. the only thing i see in common with the people that got picked for this is that they have all been working there 12 months and would have recently like i said got a small pay rise because there a year lol

It's nothing to do with pay rises, just busy work for managers in the business. No one ever stands up to these things it's a combination of cowardice and lethargy but that indictment could be leveled at 80% of the Irish workforce in all honesty.

maybe ... it just seemed the people put on it were people that recently had a small rise. People come in after these staff member have worse targets but nothing said to some of them ... weird.
    Another thing that happens is that the managers will parade around groups of new starts around the place in groups.
    It quite obvious that there is no where for them to be seated
    (because there is not enough room)
    Always makes me think d company are planning to get rid of people that are already working there

• Advertisement

woof40 wrote: »
    maybe ... it just seemed the people put on it were people that recently had a small rise. People come in after these staff member have worse targets but nothing said to some of them ... weird.
    Another thing that happens is that the managers will parade around groups of new starts around the place in groups.
    It quite obvious that there is no where for them to be seated
    (because there is not enough room)
    Always makes me think d company are planning to get rid of people that are already working there

There's plenty of room ;) It's become pretty obvious to me at this stage who you work for.

@ bespoke .. lol :D ... r u working there too ? hahaha

woof40 wrote: »
    @ bespoke .. lol :D ... r u working there too ? hahaha

Shhhhh! :P

I know a lad who was genuinely ill and was hospitalized. He has told me he is on his final warning for absence.

I know when he was approached by a bunch of managers a few days after he was back in and told that he could be dismissed if he was caught carrying his bag around.
    I know there is lockers for the bags but you have to walk through the office with your bag before you get to where the lockers are located ... lol

I know my friend is on a warning for absence but it seems like any other minor reason is being used to get get rid of him.

Like some of the other people i know to be on pips for other minor things is working there exactly one year.

just to re visit this i started a few months ago ... a load of full time ppl got let go recently + replaced by part-time staff ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭cml387

A word of warning. I have a fairly good idea what company this is and if I can work it out then so can anyone.
    (I don't work there).

I met with this company in the past .I worked for their competitor. I was shocked when they wanted me to join the same position i was working in but for 11 grand less :eek:

Another friend who works there told me that when they interview, they interview all ages race and colours (equal opportunities employer). Despite that they decide who they are not going to take before that person actually comes in. The still have them come in and interview. This group is normally 40+ in age.

google "suspended staff derry contact centre"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Derry staff are outsourced and have a different employer with different policies

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Could you pm me the name of company please? Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement