Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraoi 2014?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Parade and fireworks were brilliant, bit annoyed by a couple of other things though.

Firstly, the "Spraoi police" shut down a non Spraoi gig at the back of the Munster Bar on Sunday. The gig had been going off without hassle from 3.00-5.30pm and was due to finish at 6.00pm when three power tripping goons in Spraoi t-shirts decided to shut it down. Of course they have absolutely no authority to do this but unfortunately the gig organisers listened to them and the music stopped. It was a fantastic setup too and there was a nice crowd gathered there. Disgraceful by Spraoi, whatever their reasoning was.

Secondly, the Plaza stage had a stupid entrance/exit system and you were not allowed to bring drink in. Of course you could buy the overpriced, warm beer on offer at €5 a pint (that looked smaller than a pint).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Parade and fireworks were brilliant, bit annoyed by a couple of other things though.

Firstly, the "Spraoi police" shut down a non Spraoi gig at the back of the Munster Bar on Sunday. The gig had been going off without hassle from 3.00-5.30pm and was due to finish at 6.00pm when three power tripping goons in Spraoi t-shirts decided to shut it down. Of course they have absolutely no authority to do this but unfortunately the gig organisers listened to them and the music stopped. It was a fantastic setup too and there was a nice crowd gathered there. Disgraceful by Spraoi, whatever their reasoning was.

Secondly, the Plaza stage had a stupid entrance/exit system and you were not allowed to bring drink in. Of course you could buy the overpriced, warm beer on offer at €5 a pint (that looked smaller than a pint).

Happened to pass by Greyfriars on Sunday, was it the DJ playing there that was stopped? If so, that's a bit harsh as it wasn't exactly interfering with any other acts and people seemed to be enjoying it.

Also, I'd have to disagree on the Plaza. I actually thought the system was quite good and I liked the fact they had some food stalls and the bar (wasn't around last Spraoi so I'm not sure if that's new to this year or not). I've often brought my own beer with me and liked that you could do it but I suppose that doesn't really get allowed with most events here these days. Realistically it did cut down on a lot of the crap I've encountered on the plaza in the last few years with drunken 16 year olds throwing cans around. It had a nice vibe to the place, especially when the sun came out it was quite relaxed. Fiver a pint is not exactly scandalous considering it's the same as most of the pubs up John St. I spent most of Sunday there and had a few pints from the bar... none of which were any way warm and they most definitely were the size of a pint, so maybe you were just unlucky. You should've handed it back and complained if that was the case.

All in all, I really enjoyed Spraoi this year. I didn't get to see as much as I'd have liked due to work but definitely credit where credit is due, the gigs, parade and fireworks were brilliant as usual and it does Waterford proud every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

thought the no cans and entrance thing at plaza was brilliant, most are fine but usually with cans it gets messy and some bogeys get in ruining the atmosphere at best and often the safety of people there. Also, wandering around with cans in the city is just not acceptable, especially when their are kids about and to be complaining about not being able to enter an event with your cans is a bit old outdated in my opinion.

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There was the main booth in JR Square, couple of tables and volunteers in Cathedral sq and outside Friary too. probably others too, its well publicised that they will be looking for a fiver so we should all be seeking them out, get your badge whatever. i had to shame some friends into doing it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

deise_boi wrote: »
    Happened to pass by Greyfriars on Sunday, was it the DJ playing there that was stopped? If so, that's a bit harsh as it wasn't exactly interfering with any other acts and people seemed to be enjoying it.
    Yeah that was it, like you say it wasn't intefering Spraoi and there was a good vibe there, shame they spoiled it.
    deise_boi wrote: »
    Also, I'd have to disagree on the Plaza. I actually thought the system was quite good and I liked the fact they had some food stalls and the bar (wasn't around last Spraoi so I'm not sure if that's new to this year or not). I've often brought my own beer with me and liked that you could do it but I suppose that doesn't really get allowed with most events here these days. Realistically it did cut down on a lot of the crap I've encountered on the plaza in the last few years with drunken 16 year olds throwing cans around. It had a nice vibe to the place, especially when the sun came out it was quite relaxed. Fiver a pint is not exactly scandalous considering it's the same as most of the pubs up John St. I spent most of Sunday there and had a few pints from the bar... none of which were any way warm and they most definitely were the size of a pint, so maybe you were just unlucky. You should've handed it back and complained if that was the case.
    Max Powers wrote: »
    thought the no cans and entrance thing at plaza was brilliant, most are fine but usually with cans it gets messy and some bogeys get in ruining the atmosphere at best and often the safety of people there. Also, wandering around with cans in the city is just not acceptable, especially when their are kids about and to be complaining about not being able to enter an event with your cans is a bit old outdated in my opinion.
    I totally understand all that, still think you should be allowed drink cans though, not everyone can afford pints and they had plenty of security there anyway to chuck out any trouble makers.

Yeah that was it, like you say it wasn't intefering Spraoi and there was a good vibe there, shame they spoiled it.

I totally understand all that, still think you should be allowed drink cans though, not everyone can afford pints and they had plenty of security there anyway to chuck out any trouble makers.

ditch 2/3 cans and buy a pint. Cans are just unacceptable at these things that are ran well. as for plenty of security to chuck out trouble, volunteers in couple hi-vis vests are not gardai, trouble makers will ruin it for everyone long before it gets to the point of chucking someone out anyway, ruining the good atmosphere, trashing the place, generally getting loud and bad behaviour. not everyone obviously but cans in general in Ireland will lead to messy trouble makers as you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Plaza was great over the weekend, especially on the Sun Filled Sunday. I enjoyed the wine at the bae, and huddy had a few beers, also well done to the food stalls, great burgers and hot dogs, great music, was like being at a festival without the mud and €50 cover charge. WELL DONE SPRAOI - where can i make a contribution so next year will happen as good as this year>??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

jennygirl wrote: »
    Plaza was great over the weekend, especially on the Sun Filled Sunday. I enjoyed the wine at the bae, and huddy had a few beers...

Still enjoying?? :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Would it not be a good idea for Spraoi to set up a collection website that can be donated to at any time?

Everyone loves Spraoi and I'm sure if anyone had a fiver/tenner to spare they would give it up whenever they can. If money was donated anytime before Spraoi weekend it would give the organizers access to cash, allow people to donate at any time and would allow them to build up interest on any donations made before Spraoi weekend.

Seems like a no brainer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

O Riain wrote: »
    Would it not be a good idea for Spraoi to set up a collection website that can be donated to at any time?

Everyone loves Spraoi and I'm sure if anyone had a fiver/tenner to spare they would give it up whenever they can. If money was donated anytime before Spraoi weekend it would give the organizers access to cash, allow people to donate at any time and would allow them to build up interest on any donations made before Spraoi weekend.

Seems like a no brainer?

I was thinking that. I assumed they would when they announced funding was low due to the weather but I am surprised we are still thinking it and nobody has actually done it.

The Irish Cancer Society did it for Daffodil Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

Spraoi's funding from Fáilte was slashed this year too, which is absolutely ridiculous, considering it's Ireland's biggest street arts festival. The organisers could have easily decided "right, let's cut an act or two, or drop a parade float to save a few bob" but instead they funnelled all funds into the festival and the poor blokes out in the studio obligingly felt the cuts instead, having to used almost all recycled materials and costumes this year (not a bad thing in the long term).

The rain did put a dampener on Saturday, but I hate to see people complaining and calling it a washout. I talked to several volunteers down there, all of whom were wonderfully pleasant, despite standing in the pouring rain without umbrellas. Most of the acts could have broken their necks if they were to perform in the rain.

I honestly applaud the organisers and every single volunteer because they managed to keep the festival going, against all odds, with a bit of rescheduling and some impromptu torann performances!

The parade was fab this year, and while there were no barriers on the quay for some readon, again the volunteers managed crowd control very well, and made conversation with us while we waited. The Gimme 5 collectors walked the entire parade route and were literally all over the city, so I don't know how one could have missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought it was a great idea to have the guys walk the parade route with buckets, it really brought home to you that you were getting a nights entertainment for a donation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I recall in one of the acts, as it finished they asked people to give the donation to the folk walking around. As soon as the thanks were given and the act was over, people scattered and not many donated despite the buckets floating around. Whether or not they had already paid, I don't know. This was on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Sully wrote: »
    I recall in one of the acts, as it finished they asked people to give the donation to the folk walking around. As soon as the thanks were given and the act was over, people scattered and not many donated despite the buckets floating around. Whether or not they had already paid, I don't know. This was on the Sunday.

hehe that was me mate out of there like a shot thank you and good luck hehehe

hehe that was me mate out of there like a shot thank you and good luck hehehe

Next time you attempt to troll in this forum, i'll show you the exit. Second time in this thread you're acting the maggot.

Spotted in the 'Well!' magazine in the News & Star an article by Darren Skelton re: Spraoi. Should pick it up and give it a read, very fair and open article with many points.

The bulk of the article is reminding people that we shouldn't take the festival for granted, that it's providing us free entertainment and we should get behind it by giving the €5.

He mentioned a similar event to what I posted about earlier - people being asked to donate money but who refuse. You get all this free entertainment and you won't throw in a measly €5 to contribute? Poor form.

Also points out that businesses who benefit massively from Spraoi aren't contributing in anyway where they could be. Give back to the people who give you business and drive people your way. Don't just take it all and be greedy. Without it you would be worse off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can people please stop saying it was free cause it wasn't the funds come from Failte Ireland, Arts counsil, donations etc with is funded by the taxpayer so if someone doesn't want to hand over €5 thats their prerogative. Brow beating, guilt tripping and giving out about them is poor form especially when you do know the reasons behind them not donating, not everyone has €5 to just hand over and technically they have paid already through taxes. The other thing is if someone says it was a load of cr*p then to them it was and they are entitled to their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

spookwoman wrote: »
    Can people please stop saying it was free cause it wasn't the funds come from Failte Ireland, Arts counsil, donations etc with is funded by the taxpayer so if someone doesn't want to hand over €5 thats their prerogative. Brow beating, guilt tripping and giving out about them is poor form especially when you do know the reasons behind them not donating, not everyone has €5 to just hand over and technically they have paid already through taxes. The other thing is if someone says it was a load of cr*p then to them it was and they are entitled to their opinion.

fair commentary but I have watched the same people enjoying the show every year but they have a rat in their pocket when it comes to making a donation, ditto with Darrens article where he mentions a shop on the Quay with queues outside it every Spraoi but when asked they have consistently refused to make a donation, either of these is wrong.

General taxation pay towards a lot of festivals but the festival still asks you to pay to fund the shortfall. Without it, festivals don't go ahead.

In the grand scheme of things if we calculated how many tax payers we had in the country and took into consideration how much money was given by the way of tax payers, I wonder how much each individual tax payer would have personally given to the festival? Even if we narrowed it down to all tax payers in Waterford, do you think you would have personally given €5 out of taxes?

The festival is FREE. The funding that is given to the organisers pays for a small percentage of the cost of the festival - not all of it. The festival organisers put on all these events without charging the visitor, despite being at an immediate loss from day one. The €5 donation goes a long way to meeting the full costs.

If you want to be that stingy and tight about it, it's your own 'prerogative'. Just don't complain when there is nothing on in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Calling someone stingy and tight is a good way to stop people donating and I hope you are not representing or speaking for Spraoi or Waterford. Also no need to get nasty with someone with different views

Calling someone stingy and tight is a good way to stop people donating and I hope you are not representing or speaking for Spraoi or Waterford. Also no need to get nasty with someone with different views

If you think being a tax payer covers you from not donating, you're mistaken. What you personally would have donated would be so small and it still failed to cover the costs of a FREE weekend festival.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's crazy that someone refuses to contribute because they already got grants. In my personal view, it's the definition of stingy and tight. If you can't afford €5, fine. If you can but refuse, that's unfair.

If you think being a tax payer covers you from not donating, you're mistaken.

No I'm not mistaken unless there is some bylaw saying that everyone has to hand over €5 for Spraoi even if they don't like it, cant afford it don't feel it's worth it etc.
    What you personally would have donated would be so small and it still failed to cover the costs of a FREE weekend festival.

and as I keep saying the money had to come from somewhere be it funds or donations so its not FREE, no funds or donations then no Spraoi.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's crazy that someone refuses to contribute because they already got grants. In my personal view, it's the definition of stingy and tight. If you can't afford €5, fine. If you can but refuse, that's unfair.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but saying someone who you claim can afford to donate is narrow minded, businesses have the right to choose where their money goes, what a business makes during the weekend and that grant just might be what keeps them open for another year, force them to donate and that business closes and people loose their jobs
    Businesses in waterford are struggling with low sales and high rates, there's high unemployment, poverty, now water charges and every penny counts so going around saying people are stingy is pretty low.

I'm going to leave it at that cause there seems to be only one point of view allowed and if you are not with it then its down to name calling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Why don't they video the whole thing and then sell DVDs? Plenty of people here and abroad would buy and that would earn some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Always thought it would be a good idea for Spraoi to set up a donation fund, where people could donate when they can or people could set up a direct debit and donate €1/€2 from their wage each week.

It all boils down to affordability for folk, although I'm fairly strapped for cash I made it my business to donate what I could at Spraoi as I believe it is the best/one of the best festivals in Ireland.

The work and effort that goes into the festival is amazing and everyone involved should take bow especially after the cuts to their funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

There was the main booth in JR Square, couple of tables and volunteers in Cathedral sq and outside Friary too. probably others too, its well publicised that they will be looking for a fiver so we should all be seeking them out, get your badge whatever. i had to shame some friends into doing it last year.

While I agree it's well-publicised with posters and some of the acts mentioning it, I actually found it more difficult to donate this year than before. It turns out I had walked right past the little table they had in Cathedral Square and at no stage did I see anyone walking around with the collection buckets except before the parade. Now, I did seek someone out and gave my donation but, other years, I'd usually end up donating a few times over the weekend.

Was there even a stand on the plaza? I didn't see one there either. Considering the effort that went into the plaza stage and the amount of people it attracted, I'd imagine this would be a good idea. Maybe there was and I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

My dad used to always give out stink about the Gimme 5 campaign, telling me that they get huge amounts of funds from the government and have no need for extra money. After talking to a lovely collector, turns out he's been completely wrong all these years. The funds they get from Fáilte Ireland are NOT enough to cover everything- studio employees' wages, parade materials, publicity, volunteer tee-shirts, performers' payments, etc...the organisers have a hell of a lot of money to pay out every year, and STILL they make a point of keeping the festival entirely free.

If somebody chooses to not donate, that's their decision, they probably have a legit reason not to. But they then don't have the right to call the festival a 'washout' (which I've seen a lot this year) or complain because they weren't allowed cans on the Plaza. If you don't contribute then you get NO say in how the festival runs.

The festival is entirely free for the public @spookwoman, the definition of free being "without cost or payment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

this whole whether or not to donate argument is pure ridic, doesn't matter how much they get off the government, a few more euro would make things much easier for them and make the festival better. i bet ye're the kinda people that leave their tray on the table because "f*ck that its somebodys job to clean it up"

Advertisement