Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch the switch on a light switch

Options
  • 26-07-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a two-gang lightswitch on my landing. One for the bathroom lights - the other for the bathroom fan. When both are off, the switches are the wrong way around i.e. off is up on one and off is down on the other. Pendantic I know but how do I change it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a two-gang lightswitch on my landing. One for the bathroom lights - the other for the bathroom fan. When both are off, the switches are the wrong way around i.e. off is up on one and off is down on the other. Pendantic I know but how do I change it?
    Thanks

Either the switch is upside down, or the wires that should be in L1 are in L2 in each switch.

You could unscrew the switch and rotate it. But the bathroom and fan will then be opposite sides to what they are now. As in if bathroom is right switch, it will be left.

The other way is to remove the switch (after switching off appropriate MCBs), and swap the wires that are in L2 to L1, or L1 to L2 on the 2 way connections, depending on how they are connected.

EDIT: Just noticed just one is wrong. SO you will have to remove the switch and swap the one thats wrong, into the other terminal on the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

One weird thing: for some reason the UK and Ireland have up = off, down = on. (I think France may do this too actually.. or they just do it both ways ...)

Almost everywhere else it's the other way! (and on our circuit breakers it's the usual international norm i.e. down = off)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

SpaceTime wrote: »
    One weird thing: for some reason the UK and Ireland have up = off, down = on. (I think France may do this too actually.. or they just do it both ways ...)

Almost everywhere else it's the other way! (and on our circuit breakers it's the usual international norm i.e. down = off)

thanks for that guys - appreciate the help.

Advertisement