Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe

Options
  • 26-07-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi All

Im a vegi and I eat very few dairy products bar eggs and butter in cakes. Boyfriend is vegan a long time and Id like to make a vegan chocolate cake for his birthday

I found a few recipes online but most are American and use distilled white vinegar which as far as I can understand is not distilled malt vinegar thats in the supermarket here. Others mention artificial butter substitutes that Id rather not use

So do any of you good folk have a recipe you can share that youve made and can recommend ? Nothing fancy needed , just a simple dairy and egg free cake

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Thought id give you all an update . I made a trial batch of cupcakes using the recipe below. It contains balsamic vinegar which I dont think I can smell but Im going to share them at work tommorow and see if anyone notices. I defintly can't taste vinegar

Overall they turned out great, really light, fluffy and moist. They didnt rise as much as my normal cupcakes but rose enough to look good. I divided the recipe by 4 as 36 cupcakes was way too much ! Im going to serve with raspberry coulis to give them a bit more of a hit as I cant serve them with frosting or cream

Vegan Chocolate cake

Makes: 36 cupcakes or 1 x 23cm (9in) cake

420g plain flour

400g muscovado/ dark brown sugar

6Tbsp cocoa powder

2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

500ml water

200ml sunflower oil

2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

2 tsp vanilla essence
    Preheat oven to 180°C

Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and stir together

Make a well in the centre and add the remaining ingredients.

Mix until just combined.

Pour the batter into cupcake cakes or a greased and lined tin

Bake – 20 mins for cupcakes or 1 hour for cake
    - See more at: http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/04/13/yummy-vegan-chocolate-cake-recipe/#sthash.h1nDDD5L.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

For the vinegar I nearly always use apple cider vinegar. I have the Miss Cupcake book which has loads of vegan cake recipes in. Either that or I have made this a few times with good results

http://www.vegweb.com/recipes/lisas-chocolate-cake-0

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

thanks so much for that - will try that recipe out too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Heres a chocolate fudge frosting recipe http://ohsheglows.com/2013/05/20/2-ingredient-chocolate-fudge-frosting/

Angela's recipes are always a success for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

I always turn to Isa first for vegan baking! I can't post links directly, but google "Isa post punk kitchen".

Personally I have yet to have a vegan buttercream frosting that I've really liked (haven't tried the chocolate mousse yet though!), but ganache or fruit glaze made from preserves can be good substitutes. You could also use fruit - if you make a cake, you can cut it in half (or do two rounds for a nice tall cake) fill the layers with a fruit jam or compote, and then put fresh berries on top (raspberries are particularly good with chocolate cake). You could really go crazy and do both fruit and chocolate ganache, or do multiple alternating layers. :-)

I always use cider vinegar for vegan recipes. I would think that regular white distilled vinegar would be too strong? Cider vinegar has the same chemical effect, but is milder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement