Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner Beans Question.

• 26-07-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is my first year trying Runner Beans, I grew from seed, and planted in Greenhouse.
    Grew very strong and for the past 5/6 weeks have been producing loads and loads of Beans.

For the past week however the plants look weak, speckled leaves, going yellow, and loads of leaves, dying back. Is it the very warm days we have had this week ?

Is this normal? Just the end of the Bean producing season,

I have been watering daily,

Any advice welcome, will post a few pictures next week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My dad always starts his in the tunnel but grows them outside ,could they be getting too hot ? Do you water the leaves by day (are they scorching)
    Did you put much compost /manure in when you planted (you could mound more around the base of the plants but pull it back from the stalk so it doesn't cause the stalk to rot) ? They're heavy feeders... Only other thing I can think is there any signs of a fungus or mould atacking plants because of humidity ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It isn't necessary to grow runner beans in a greenhouse, they do fine outdoors, they could just be suffering from 'heatstroke'. Did you pick the beans as they form? If you leave them the plants stop producing beans - they have done their job, don't need to do any more. Also the intensive form of growing could just mean the bean plants are exhausted early. You have probably had as many beans as you are going to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

looksee wrote: »
    It isn't necessary to grow runner beans in a greenhouse, they do fine outdoors, they could just be suffering from 'heatstroke'.
    sounds about right.
    Did you pick the beans as they form? If you leave them the plants stop producing beans - they have done their job, don't need to do any more. Also the intensive form of growing could just mean the bean plants are exhausted early. You have probably had as many beans as you are going to get.

Yep! I have been picking now for weeks! the freezer is full! and the neighbours and Family well stocked also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I can never grow any beans. I put them in the ground, they disappear. I put them in a pot, they grow to six inches, I put them in the ground, they disappear. The Bean Predator haunts my garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I can never grow any beans. I put them in the ground, they disappear. I put them in a pot, they grow to six inches, I put them in the ground, they disappear. The Bean Predator haunts my garden.
    Slugs ? Or mice ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Quick update, I took off all the scabby leaves, and cut back on the watering.
    Also the decrease in temperatures this week, and the plants are looking more healthy

as for
    looksee wrote:
    You have probably had as many beans as you are going to get.

No, they are producing beans like Champions, still, I could supply Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭cobham

I have grown beans for many years. I put beans in pots first to protect from frost, mice, slugs and too much rain. But this year is strange! I have great plants with load of leaves and flowers but beans do not 'set'. Mr Google suggests high temps at night to blame?

cobham wrote: »
    I have grown beans for many years. I put beans in pots first to protect from frost, mice, slugs and too much rain. But this year is strange! I have great plants with load of leaves and flowers but beans do not 'set'. Mr Google suggests high temps at night to blame?

Well, like you I brought on the plants, from seed, first in small pots, then larger pots until the plants were well established.
    Once estd. I planted them with a liberal sprinkling of Slug Pellets.

Mine are in a greenhouse, and produced loads of leaves, and plenty of Beans, so I have had high temperatures all day, and at night.

cobham wrote: »

When do you start them in these pots? Might put it in the calendar next year.

(I stupidly sowed my tomatoes way too late and they're only now leaping upward. Must do the same for them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I usually pot up first week in May or whenever weather starts looking decent. I potted up a second batch a few weeks after.They go on a sunny table up by house so able to keep an eye on them. One year the rain was so bad in May, they just rotted with the wet so now I watch out for that and cover with bit of perspex.

I think maybe my patch of ground is too well prepared with contents of compost heap and sprinkle of chicken pellets. I dont have much choice of site to grow them. I know you are supposed to rotate. :( Plants are very healthy and maybe too many large leaves and that is stopping air circulation. I am getting a crop now on high up sections.

Wish I was taller :)

• Advertisement

Wish I was taller :)

There are advantages to tallness and others to smallness. My own plan is for evolution to develop telescoping legs.

Advertisement