Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entrance to Merlin Park

Options
  • 26-07-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Is the entrance to Merlin Park Hospital on the Dublin Road the only entrance to the grounds or is there another entrance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If driving, yes I think that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

There is one off merlin lane on the doughiska road but its only open for a short while in the morning and in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I want to run it.

I'm looking up Google Maps and there seems to be a road ? Merlin Park Lane (via Doughiska Road) that goes to the grounds. Just wondering if I could run it and if it's safe to do so?

Edit: Thanks sammyjo! Would I be able to run it or is it fenced off when not open to cars?

Yeah its totally fine to run it, the entrance is just beside the other entrance to the woods, which is also a great place to run
    Theres a little gap with a step beside the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have passed the grounds so many times but never been in. Will give it a go during the week.
    Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

See http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.2809/-8.9900 for a map of paths in the woods, some GPS tracked by me. Some are official paths, with small rocks, some are just 'in the woods'

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Moving to Galway in a few weeks and I was hoping someone couldntell me a little about the woods. Space to cycle, walk with children, how far from one side to another??? Is it deemed safe? Where I am atm we have woods close by and love walking in the several times a week... would the same be possible in Merlin woods?

I'd say its as safe as any wooded area, lots of people use it. Ive seen many the cyclist, runner/walker.
    There used to be a walking group dunno if its still there..even think the school beside it have the odd nature walk in it. Theres a great little playground at one of the entrances too.
    Oh and bare in mind a lot of people walk their dogs there too on and off leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Safe enough. For smaller kids there's a playground here. In the woods itself, there's the occasional teenage bush-drinking party, but in daylight hours you'd not have a problem. I live very close by and often walk through there to LIDL

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Oh and bare in mind a lot of people walk their dogs there too on and off leads.

Indeed. But I've been told not to walk small dogs there. Ones about the same size as a hare, if you get my drift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement