Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ali Express cycling equipment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Shy Ted wrote: »
    loom bands are manufactured in a completely different manner to clothing.

Are you sure about that. What is elasto gel made of? Is it it not just a more maliable version of rubber? What are the elastic fibres in the jerseys made from?

I don't think they'd be that dissimilar tbh.

There's numerous reports of bad burn from fake havainas.

download_zps9d6c6215.jpg

Anyway just something that gained my curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I'm not gonna lie to you Iwillhtfu, I don't know what elasto gel is made of and I never heard of it until you referred to it.
    I can't confirm whether it is a more maliable version of rubber. I don't know what the elastic fibres are made of, nor can I confirm whether they are made of elasto gel either.

Thats a nasty looking burn alright. You'd think there were symtoms before it got so bad.

I was referring more to the manufacturing process of the loom bands, they may have a less controlled process.
    I would assume the dodgy bands were manufactured similarly to this.

I honestly don't know myself just something I was thinking about.

Probably just scare mongering but the thoughts of burns similar to the above on the arse end of me hydraulics doesn't sound to appealing. I have yet to read any reports of burns etc from cycling gear so probably just an over active imagination tbh.

The elasto gel is sold in some of the pads it's supposed to reduce heat afaik.

I'd imagine the burns above are after a period of time I'd say there were symtoms of burning/rubbing sensation probably ignored thinking they were new flip flops.

Anyhow sorry to derail thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I've been using aliexpress bibs for the last 18 months almost daily, no issues with the material or pad whatsoever. The jerseys have been washed at least 50 times and still look like new.

WillyFXP wrote: »
    I've been using aliexpress bibs for the last 18 months almost daily, no issues with the material or pad whatsoever. The jerseys have been washed at least 50 times and still look like new.

Yeah this seems to be the general opinion/review I was just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Has anyone got the winter sets from Aliexpress and if so how warm and dry do they keep you, have got the regular bibs and jerseys and have no complaints so was going to get the winter gear next and just wondering folks views and experiences on them

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Any other bulky cyclists out there that have used the custom size service offered by some sellers ?

Just wondering how the kit stands up to the extra pressure :D. Also, does the cut avoid the dreaded Burst Sausage look?

I'd love to find an alternative to the expensive Fat Lad At The Back gear.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

fiacha wrote: »
    Any other bulky cyclists out there that have used the custom size service offered by some sellers ?

Just wondering how the kit stands up to the extra pressure :D. Also, does the cut avoid the dreaded Burst Sausage look?

Thanks.

Have a 3xl on the way, will let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

I'm thinking of ordering some handlebars, has anyone any recommendations on sellers or bought any before? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Seriously?

Handlebars wouldn't be the type of thing I'd be ordering from shops selling knocked off products (unless you can be certain they are the genuine article, or well engineered).

Going back to whether its a good idea or not to buy these products, the chances of a jersey containing a carcinogen are slim (not entirely impossible but slim). Most of the stuff people are buying here they aren't depending on to any great extent. Assuming the jersey is breathable you're not relying on it beyond that. If the stitching fails you lose your ten euro.

Bib shorts, if you're not doing crazy mileage its fine. If you're planning on cycling to bejing get a proper pair though. Similarly, if you're doing over a hundred k you should prob consider investing in a proper pair.

But its still unlikely to be life or death, and most people will prob be happier saving themselves a hundred euro than paying a hundred for that extra comfort.

A pair of handle bars on a fast descent, from a shop selling knocked off goods in China, not the kind of thing I'd be inclined to skimp on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

NBar wrote: »
    Has anyone got the winter sets from Aliexpress and if so how warm and dry do they keep you, have got the regular bibs and jerseys and have no complaints so was going to get the winter gear next and just wondering folks views and experiences on them

I have a set of thermal fleece tights and L/S jersey. I wore them all last winter and found them more than adequate for our winters. They're warm and a perfect fit. I only wore them on dry days do can't say how they are in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

a148pro wrote: »
    Seriously?

Handlebars wouldn't be the type of thing I'd be ordering from shops selling knocked off products (unless you can be certain they are the genuine article, or well engineered).

Going back to whether its a good idea or not to buy these products, the chances of a jersey containing a carcinogen are slim (not entirely impossible but slim). Most of the stuff people are buying here they aren't depending on to any great extent. Assuming the jersey is breathable you're not relying on it beyond that. If the stitching fails you lose your ten euro.

Bib shorts, if you're not doing crazy mileage its fine. If you're planning on cycling to bejing get a proper pair though. Similarly, if you're doing over a hundred k you should prob consider investing in a proper pair.

But its still unlikely to be life or death, and most people will prob be happier saving themselves a hundred euro than paying a hundred for that extra comfort.

A pair of handle bars on a fast descent, from a shop selling knocked off goods in China, not the kind of thing I'd be inclined to skimp on.

Hence the reason for asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

paudie2005 wrote: »
    Hence the reason for asking

Just as a general rule of thumb, I would never put cheap tires on my car, i would prefer decent second hands, for a vgood reason, these things seem to fail at the exact time you need them to work. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

Interesting thread folks, I have bought a few this recently from AliExpress...ass savers, tyres levers, glasses and razor blades.

All of the items arrived on time and in perfect condition, I don't think I would trust handlebars (maybe I'm wrong).

My question is has anyone bought any saddles of this site?

Cheers

Interesting thread folks, I have bought a few this recently from AliExpress...ass savers, tyres levers, glasses and razor blades.

All of the items arrived on time and in perfect condition, I don't think I would trust handlebars (maybe I'm wrong).

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Rita1 wrote: »
    Cheers

I haven't but I saw an adamo saddle there at 1/5th of the price I paid from a reliable ISM reseller which looked identical to the one I have. The photos have good detail and show the patent pending moulded text. So either they have gone to a lot of trouble to make them look alike or as I suspect it is the same saddle.
    Incidentally my original adamo has a made in taiwan sticker on it.
    For 20€ I might just include it with my next order.
    Most of the non safety critical stuff on there is so cheap you cant really go wrong eg Saddle bag 3€ free postage. How do they do it? They must have a bulk arrangement with An Post.

I haven't but I saw an adamo saddle there at 1/5th of the price I paid from a reliable ISM reseller which looked identical to the one I have. The photos have good detail and show the patent pending moulded text. So either they have gone to a lot of trouble to make them look alike or as I suspect it is the same saddle.
    Incidentally my original adamo has a made in taiwan sticker on it.
    For 20€ I might just include it with my next order.
    Most of the non safety critical stuff on there is so cheap you cant really go wrong eg Saddle bag 3€ free postage. How do they do it? They must have a bulk arrangement with An Post.

I think you're right regarding tge non safety critical stuff, having said that i have a chinarello which has done at least 9000kms without missing a beat. I'm going to purchase a saddle soon, I will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I think you're right regarding tge non safety critical stuff, having said that i have a chinarello which has done at least 9000kms without missing a beat. I'm going to purchase a saddle soon, I will let you know how it goes.

Which store did you get the chinarelli do u mind me asking?

martyc5674 wrote: »

A fella in derry brings them over so I don't know what supplier he uses, I paid £615 for it....I know it's a lot more than other places but I can't fault it.

martyc5674 wrote: »

A fella in derry brings them over so I don't know what supplier he uses, I paid £615 for it....I know it's a lot more than other places but I can't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I have a set of thermal fleece tights and L/S jersey. I wore them all last winter and found them more than adequate for our winters. They're warm and a perfect fit. I only wore them on dry days do can't say how they are in the wet.

Do they have zips in the legs?
    everything I have looked at seems to have zips:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Go by there size charts which are generally accurate. I buy XL from the chinese sellers/Aliexpress and find it perfect. I'm 181cm and 76kg
    Jaysus, I'm 183cm and 95KG, does that mean I need to order XXXL for Jerseys???

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'm 183cm and 95KG, does that mean I need to order XXXL for Jerseys???

Ben

No I'd say XXL would fit you in the bib tights and jersey but best thing is to go by their measurement charts as they're pretty accurate with regard to sizing.

The XL jersey was slightly too big on me, L would have been ideal.

stecleary wrote: »
    Do they have zips in the legs?
    everything I have looked at seems to have zips:mad:

Yes zips on the leg ends (which I prefer over foot loops)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Anyone use parcel motel to get stuff from ali express. According to their t&c's they won't except counterfeit items for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

fiacha wrote: »

Thanks.

I got a 5xl Saxo set fits well, top is a shade tight, but I'm very bulky... I looked at the size charts on another site, cycle jersey store dot net... The Ali gear seems to be the same sizing...

Anyone use parcel motel to get stuff from ali express. According to their t&c's they won't except counterfeit items for delivery.

Why would you bother? Postage to ireland is free for the vast majority of items and theyre delivered by An Post so why would you use parcel motel? And even if you did use PM, its not like the outside of the package has 'Counterfeit Goods' written on it and PM will not under any circumstances open a parcel (as they told me so) so they'll have no idea what's inside.

Cheers

I haven't bought one from Aliexpress but i have bought a Prologo Zero II from ebay (from one of the same sellers on ali) and I already had a genuine one (bought from Evans) and visually theyre absolutely identical, right down to the molded prints on the underside. They felt identical to sit on but the one from ebay weighed 30g more than the genuine one. I couldnt figure out where the extra weight was but guessing it was the rails. I spent hours googling about them and what i read on some sites is that the ones on ebay/aliexpress are actually genuine items from the exact same factory as the ones sold for twice the price but that theyre made 'on the quiet' by workers and other schools of thought were that theyre 'seconds' although i couldnt find any visible defects in the saddle i had. I would have no hesitation buying one of them again.

I haven't bought one from Aliexpress but i have bought a Prologo Zero II from ebay (from one of the same sellers on ali) and I already had a genuine one (bought from Evans) and visually theyre absolutely identical, right down to the molded prints on the underside. They felt identical to sit on but the one from ebay weighed 30g more than the genuine one. I couldnt figure out where the extra weight was but guessing it was the rails. I spent hours googling about them and what i read on some sites is that the ones on ebay/aliexpress are actually genuine items from the exact same factory as the ones sold for twice the price but that theyre made 'on the quiet' by workers and other schools of thought were that theyre 'seconds' although i couldnt find any visible defects in the saddle i had. I would have no hesitation buying one of them again.

Interesting, thanks very much for the feedback....if you still have the seller's details could you PM it to me ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

I'm looking to buy some bib shorts and vests from aliexpress, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what size to order.

I'm 195cm tall, 100kg, 36in waist.

Thanks in advance,
    Roddy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement