Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ali Express cycling equipment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

parcel motel will get you the goods 2-3 weeks before you will through an post. speaking from experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Roddylarge wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy some bib shorts and vests from aliexpress, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what size to order.

I'm 195cm tall, 100kg, 36in waist.

Thanks in advance,
    Roddy
    Browse the site and what you want. Each product detail page has its own size chart. Nobody here will be able to offer advice as the size charts are seller specific. You'll find them down the bottom if the product details page.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

I'm aware of the size charts but like a lot of things bought online the sizes vary from those advertised, I was hoping that somebody who has ordered from a particular seller could advise me if I should order a size up or two sizes up etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

The sizing is accurate as per the charts...
    The chart will tell you you chest/inside leg/waist in CM for their idea of Medium/large/XL and so on.

See what one suits your size and get that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cabo

Roddylarge wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy some bib shorts and vests from aliexpress, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what size to order.

I'm 195cm tall, 100kg, 36in waist.

Thanks in advance,
    Roddy

I am 198cm and 97kg 5xl in bib tights was perfect for me but the long sleeve jersey is a bit big. Next time I order will go down a size. Quality seems very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

RossieMan wrote: »
    parcel motel will get you the goods 2-3 weeks before you will through an post. speaking from experience.

I'd say you were lucky in that the seller had the goods in stock and sent them out straight away and so you got them quicker than usual. When they are sent to your home address and delivered by An Post, they will be in your letterbox within 48 hrs of arriving in the country so I cant see how PM can get them to you any quicker as the free postage option with Aliexpress sellers is by China Post and not a courier and so even when using a parcel motel address, An Post are the recipients here and have to then deliver it to the parcel motel depot and then its sent out to the parcel motel lockers. It couldn't possibly be any quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

I'd say you were lucky in that the seller had the goods in stock and sent them out straight away and so you got them quicker than usual. When they are sent to your home address and delivered by An Post, they will be in your letterbox within 48 hrs of arriving in the country so I cant see how PM can get them to you any quicker as the free postage option with Aliexpress sellers is by China Post and not a courier and so even when using a parcel motel address, An Post are the recipients here and have to then deliver it to the parcel motel depot and then its sent out to the parcel motel lockers. It couldn't possibly be any quicker.

Have placed 90 orders on ali express and i'm not sure where the notion that you'd get the goods quicker if you use PM comes from. You get people who don't take note of the dispatch time listed by the seller just underneath the asking price in the ad (eg "seller ships within 30days") and moan that ali express stuff takes an eternity to arrive. If you buy only from sellers that will dispatch within 7 days at most and also factor in the transit time, you can expect the order to be with you within generally 3 -5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

All my orders arrived & in excellent condition. Was actually very surprised by the quality. I'm 5'10 with a 34in waist. An XL seems to be the right size for me.

goods sent with parcel motel NI go straight to the UK, as opposed to somewhere in Europe and then onto Ireland. you will get the goods weeks before direct post from China. has nothing to do with an post really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have placed 90 orders on ali express and i'm not sure where the notion that you'd get the goods quicker if you use PM comes from. You get people who don't take note of the dispatch time listed by the seller just underneath the asking price in the ad (eg "seller ships within 30days") and moan that ali express stuff takes an eternity to arrive. If you buy only from sellers that will dispatch within 7 days at most and also factor in the transit time, you can expect the order to be with you within generally 3 -5 weeks.

Not sure why you quoted me as I was saying the same thing as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Received my first order of bibs and s/s top yesterday and am impressed so far.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6176244821.html
    Excellent product, great price, 25 € for both, quality is as good as clothing I have paid 5 times that price for. All fabric, stitching, hems, leg and waist grips, logo printing and colours are good. Sizing is as advertised for me 180cm and 74kg = XL. A L size top might have fitted me too as the top is slightly loose on my 42 in chest and 16in neck. I think an L bibs would have been too tight on my average thighs though and the shoulder loops on the XL are not too tight for my long back. The pad has been kind to me over 2.5 hrs on the road in wet conditions yesterday and I think it would be OK for 100Km rides too . Nice straightforward transaction and 25 days to receipt in Ireland which is OK.

Edit: FWIW Iv'e just noticed that the sponsors name and text on the side of the bib short legs is upside down. Another piece of Chinese kit I bought on ebay had some text right aligned instead of left. They seem to have a problem with this so these must be seconds OK.
    PS: My package was labelled as gift and value 1$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Not sure why you quoted me as I was saying the same thing as you.

Sorry my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Have you found that ordering from same supplier gives the same delivery time ?
    I ordered 4 items from different vendors and some arrived 2 weeks ago (17 days) and some haven't arrived yet. Is it the luck of the draw or the supplier.

On the Via the UK. I have seen it with others (ebay etc) that UK deliveries are more direct that Ireland ones and its common for UK orders to go from Hong Kong to UK in 2-3 days so their might be some merit in it.

Might try on the next order to see.

I'm certain you'll have whatever you order through parcel motel at least a week quicker than with direct post to Ireland.

It's not about luck, its about the postage system.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Do you need to pay any import fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

I haven't yet had to pay fees but you may wind up with a fee alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Even if you did it'd be buttons on a €25 order. I guess there's a risk of it being confiscated as counterfeit but unless you're ordering large quantities it'd be unlikely.

you won't pay fees on fake items, you'll have them taken and destroyed. one of the risks involved with ordering goods like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

RossieMan wrote: »
    you won't pay fees on fake items, you'll have them taken and destroyed. one of the risks involved with ordering goods like this.

I once paid import duty and assoc fees on counterfeit goods. I don't think cycling gear is high on the radar they're usually looking for big brands apple,Samsung, Mac etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Taken from revenue.ie
    C. Consignments of Negligible Value

Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €150 may be imported from outside the EU without payment of Customs Duty. Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone and does not include insurance and freight). Consignments not exceeding a total customs value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT. (Customs value is the value of the goods plus insurance and freight (which includes postage costs (CIF value). However, there is no relief (from Customs Duty, Excise Duty, other duties or VAT) under this negligible value provision for importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcohol products, perfumes or toilet waters irrespective of their value.

Where the Customs Duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of Excise Duty which will always be collected on products liable to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

received my castelli rain coat today. Will try it out 2moro but fingers crossed it doesn't rain. Quality is excellent and folds up really small. It got great reviews from previous buyers. If its rainproof it will turn out to be a bargain

aliexpress.com/item/Castelli-2014New-Arrived-Cycling-Waterproof-Windproof-dust-coat-wind-coat-bike-jacket-jersey-Bicycle-raincoat/1762684124.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

anyone order waterproof socks from them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

received my castelli rain coat today. Will try it out 2moro but fingers crossed it doesn't rain. Quality is excellent and folds up really small. It got great reviews from previous buyers. If its rainproof it will turn out to be a bargain

aliexpress.com/item/Castelli-2014New-Arrived-Cycling-Waterproof-Windproof-dust-coat-wind-coat-bike-jacket-jersey-Bicycle-raincoat/1762684124.html

Bought one of these a while ago very warm in it even tho its full of vents. It's waterproof alright but I'd rather be soaked with sweat than rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Got my "Castelli" long sleeve set last night. The jersey is nice but a little big on me (chest is fine almost, waist and arms are a bit flappy), will try medium next time. The bib tights are just excellent, the pads feels very nice and the fit is spot on. For 28.04eur for the set it's an absolute bargain.

Will probably order some thermals for the winter some time later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I just ordered a winter set, plus a new front light and a few other bits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my jerseys and shorts on Friday. Impressive quality, but only time will tell how they wear. Sizing was perfect. I got a size L for jerseys and shorts and I'm:

188cm tall
    34" waist (slim build)

(mixing metric and imperial...oohhhhhhhh!)

Postage took ~4 weeks. Which is the norm from Aliexpress from previous experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I expect my order this week. It was only 12 dollars for DHL post from China and delivery is within 3-7 days so that suits me perfect. I purchased a few different kits so I didnt want to be relying on them all reaching me in 4 weeks.

I think 12 dollars is very good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I just ordered a winter set

What's a winter set? Sorry, newbie question! Just wondering what on their site I should be looking at for re winter stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

What's a winter set? Sorry, newbie question! Just wondering what on their site I should be looking at for re winter stuff.

Long sleeves and long legs, little extra wind protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I just ordered a winter set, plus a new front light and a few other bits...
    Link to the winter set you ordered?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement