Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting involved in activism

Options
  • 26-07-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey everybody,

I've been vegan for 1 year and vegetarian for over 2.5 years. At the moment I feel I need to go beyond simply eating vegan and get involved in animal rights activism.
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice about getting involved in animal rights organisations in Ireland. I know ARAN and other groups have regular protests but as I'm new to this I'm not sure how to go about getting involved. I go to UCD where disappointingly there are no animal rights/vegan/vegetarian societies. Can anyone suggest ways I can become more active?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

jigsaw_ape wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

I've been vegan for 1 year and vegetarian for over 2.5 years. At the moment I feel I need to go beyond simply eating vegan and get involved in animal rights activism.
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice about getting involved in animal rights organisations in Ireland. I know ARAN and other groups have regular protests but as I'm new to this I'm not sure how to go about getting involved. I go to UCD where disappointingly there are no animal rights/vegan/vegetarian societies. Can anyone suggest ways I can become more active?

Thanks

The answer to your question is staring you in the face.

Set up a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I know ARAN and other groups have regular protests but as I'm new to this I'm not sure how to go about getting involved.

turn up at one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hello Jigsaw Ape! I saw NARA have a vegan outreach day tomorrow. Basically leafleting around grafton st area, if you feel like educating the public about going vegan, just turn up, I'm in Ireland briefly with nothing better to do so I shall be there.

Also like someone else said and most college guides say it too, if there isn't a society for something you want, make it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jigsaw_ape

Yeah, I'd really like to go to the leafleting tommorrow! Is it ok if I just turned up or should I let someone know from NARA that I want to join? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Yeah, I'd really like to go to the leafleting tommorrow! Is it ok if I just turned up or should I let someone know from NARA that I want to join? :)

Here's the details....

https://www.facebook.com/events/1467837190134184/

Nah just turn up, I think it's probably safe to assume their agenda is non-selfish :)

I'm going to give them the benefit of a doubt and assume that there isn't anything in the leaflets that I strongly disagree with. Either way how we deliver the message is our own choice right. I haven't done this before either, but I can get over my own awkwardness for the sake of the animals :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 jigsaw_ape

Ok, sounds good. I'll see you there :)

Advertisement