Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jailbreak IPad d 3 Yes or No

• 26-07-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an iPad 3 about 2 years now and am considering getting it jail broken. Can anyone answer the following

1. What are the major benefits?
    2. What are the drawbacks?
    3. Where can I find out the most efficient wayy of doing it?
    4. Can the process be reversed?

Thanks in advance, I am of the opinion that, after spending more than €600 on the iPad, I would like to access as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

3 depends on your OS and 4 is yes.

For 1&2, if you don't know any compelling reasons to do it, I wouldn't do it. Try google top jailbreak apps and see if anything takes your fancy. And then check that with the feature list for iOS 8 which included a lot of the popular jail break tweaks like quick reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Also be aware the likes of Sky Go and UPC Go won't work on jailbroken devices. I'm sure there are jailbreak tweaks to get around that but like why bother?

There hasn't been a compelling reason to jailbreak an iOS device since Apple started selling unlocked devices.

Jailbreaking to me, slows the device, allows third party software to run on your device (from people who may have ulterior motives) not to mention because jailbreaking causes extra software to be constantly run on the device, it will waste your battery quicker.

That being said I haven't kept really up to date with the types of app you can get on the jailbreaking store so there could be killer apps there (SBSettings was one but control centre has made that redundant) but i doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Also be aware the likes of Sky Go and UPC Go won't work on jailbroken devices. I'm sure there are jailbreak tweaks to get around that but like why bother?

There hasn't been a compelling reason to jailbreak an iOS device since Apple started selling unlocked devices.

Jailbreaking to me, slows the device, allows third party software to run on your device (from people who may have ulterior motives) not to mention because jailbreaking causes extra software to be constantly run on the device, it will waste your battery quicker.

That being said I haven't kept really up to date with the types of app you can get on the jailbreaking store so there could be killer apps there (SBSettings was one but control centre has made that redundant) but i doubt it.

Jail breaking is more to do with customization than installing apps. IMO, do it yourself, if you don't like it then just restore the iPad via iTunes.

well aware of what jailbreaking allows you to do, I actually helped with some of the earlier jailbreaks in iPhone first gen land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

The only reason I jailbreak now is to enable the personal hotspot on my iPad a couple of years ago it was to add features but apple has baked most of them into ios now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

well aware of what jailbreaking allows you to do, I actually helped with some of the earlier jailbreaks in iPhone first gen land.

Cool, with what group?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Cool, with what group?
    The iPhone Dev team, I gave up my device to test a couple of their early jailbreaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The iPhone Dev team, I gave up my device to test a couple of their early jailbreaks.
    Showing your age there, CG;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

The jailbreak app "Movie Box" alone is worth jail breaking.
    If you are on the most up to date ios then its a very simple process with Pangu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

The jailbreak app "Movie Box" alone is worth jail breaking.
    If you are on the most up to date ios then its a very simple process with Pangu

This.

Also xbmc only works on jailbreak. There are a huge amount of great tweaks available also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement