Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Throttle cable lubrication

• 26-07-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Was cleaning out my throttle body yesterday and noticed my throttle cable was sticking a small bit , what's good to spray on it as a lube ? Heard stay away from wd40 so just wanted opinions?

Edit. Just added photo to give u idea what part

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a small plastic bag and cut the corner off it feed the cable through and seal the bag to the cable.
    Pull the rubber accordion type seal back so lubricant can get into the cable, Put some light oil into the bag, 3 in 1 or similar and leave it so the oil can run down into the cable.
    This should allow lube to run down into the cable.
    Or you can buy motorcycle cable lubers that allow a pressurised spray can to be inserted into the end.
    image_7890.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

In my experience, lubricating a throttle cable is a waste of time. Once they start sticking then the surfaces (the sheath over the cable wires / cable wires and the outer casing) are chafing together and no amount of lubrication seems to sort it. Best off getting a new one.

You can try the 3in1 but my guess is that you'll be replacing it sooner rather than later anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Cable needs replacing oiling it may prolong its use for a while but it need replacing eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Cable needs replacing oiling it may prolong its use for a while but it need replacing eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Ah it isn't too bad won't need replacing for another few k miles , would ye reccomend 3 in 1 oil over wd40 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah 3in1 would be my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Ah it isn't too bad won't need replacing for another few k miles , would ye reccomend 3 in 1 oil over wd40 ?

TBH if its not too bad, I'd leave it alone. I've seen some cables get stiffer, as in they move in jerks rather than smoother and easier, with lubrication. I can't explain why but I've seen it several times.

Lubricate the linkages with 3 in 1.

Will do lads cheers

Will normal 3 in1 do or get the silicone based one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Will normal 3 in1 do or get the silicone based one ?
    Normal 3-in -1 is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement