Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most depressing looking town in Ireland?

1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

That may be the case. But Ireland isn't just the bits we want them to see. Why do so many places look like the people that live in them can't be arsed?

I think a lot of these small villages that look drab and dull in every way are the way they are because people there do not care. Most of these type of places are filled with people with ONE interest only: the GAA and especially the local GAA teams. Everything revolves around that and nothing else is considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think a lot of these small villages that look drab and dull in every way are the way they are because people there do not care. Most of these type of places are filled with people with ONE interest only: the GAA and especially the local GAA teams. Everything revolves around that and nothing else is considered.

Its a factor yeh.
    I think most towns in ireland are depressing because the architecture is so ugly
    Lots of mediterranean towns are pretty dead, suffering from depopulation, only old people left. No buzz about the town..lots of them are fairly run down too.

But the buildings are still pretty, and the weather helps>So they're not depressing

I guess in the past we were too poor to build pretty towns like europeans on the continent could.
    And now everyone in every country just builds ugly buildings..we missed out on the good times of architecture!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Has to be Kenmare Kerry, on the ring of Kerry. Filling up with caravans selling chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Wanted to off  myself travelling through Newbridge it was so depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

When are you going back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

When are you going back?
    Hopefully never Trevor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Esel wrote: »
    Better than live rabits!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Has to be Kenmare Kerry, on the ring of Kerry. Filling up with caravans selling chips.

Interesting!
    They were in court with those street traders. They'll be shifted shortly enough. And I'd hardly call 2chip vans filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Cilar wrote: »
    Kilcock, Co Kildare. Dead rabits in the streets!

Rubbish everywhere and a dirty canal full of beer cans and feral teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Kenmare isin't too bad compared to Sneem which seems to be just a coachpark for American tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Belmullet Co Mayo, the land that time forgot, had to go to a party in a little pub somewhere there, some of the locals made me think "Are your mother and father siblings also?"

Athy, it's always grey in Athy, and always a long line of traffic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Belmullet Co Mayo, the land that time forgot, had to go to a party in a little pub somewhere there, some of the locals made me think "Are your mother and father siblings also?"

Dueling Banjos? :eek:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dueling_Banjos

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Ireland as a whole

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ireland as a whole

Your post makes no sense. Ireland has some stunningly beautiful landscapes, and some gorgeously picturesque towns and villages.

Ireland as a whole

What about your hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

My hole is non of yer business. as for Ireland? It's a mucky, dirty, moss overgrown rock that still exists with an attitude of the 80's in relation to homelessness, healthcare, animal welfare and pretty much everything else.

My hole is non of yer business. as for Ireland? It's a mucky, dirty, moss overgrown rock that still exists with an attitude of the 80's in relation to homelessness, healthcare, animal welfare and pretty much everything else.

Saw mucky and dirty... thought we were talking about your hole again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Buttevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Mountmellick and portarlington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Waterford 'city' ..
    Road closures , road works, road islands, and a dead town centre. The designers/city council have destroyed what was once a vibrant friendly city.
    Shame

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

any irish town on a wet winters day :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

greenspurs wrote: »
    Waterford 'city' ..
    Road closures , road works, road islands, and a dead town centre. The designers/city council have destroyed what was once a vibrant friendly city.
    Shame

When was it a vibrant friendly city..? Ive been visiting for 20 years and I don't remember it ever being very different
    It still has potential though..removing the car park by the quays(why is that even there) and the big concrete silo across the water would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Wicklow town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its a factor yeh.
    I think most towns in ireland are depressing because the architecture is so ugly
    Lots of mediterranean towns are pretty dead, suffering from depopulation, only old people left. No buzz about the town..lots of them are fairly run down too.

But the buildings are still pretty, and the weather helps>So they're not depressing

I guess in the past we were too poor to build pretty towns like europeans on the continent could.
    And now everyone in every country just builds ugly buildings..we missed out on the good times of architecture!

Oh I don't know, some places seem to make an effort to make new buildings blend in with surrounding older ones. Here it's just whatever is cheapest and quickest and they stick out like dog balls on a cat.

Even buildings that cost megabucks still end up looking cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I know in Limerick where Pennys is and where brown thomas is, there were some beautiful buildings.

Knocked.

I dont understand either why there isnt a law on this island that who ever owns the building should be dutied to its up keep. Seems like noone gives a shiet about maintenance of buildings. There isnt a lot of...proudness.

So, maybe legally speaking, something could be done. If fingers were pulled out.

On a plus, the road in buttervant was repaved this year!

It no longer looks like a road from a third would country!

Edit: Link to old Limerick: https://www.google.ie/search?q=Old+limerick&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZxZ-hmdXXAhVFXRoKHcYsCr4Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=656#imgrc=7MccwdApQ6tihM:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

JillyQ wrote: »
    Mountmellick and portarlington

Thanks. They are today anyway. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford 'city' ..
    Shame

City not 'city'
    wakka12 wrote: »
    When was it a vibrant friendly city..? Ive been visiting for 20 years and I don't remember it ever being very different
    It still has potential though..removing the car park by the quays(why is that even there) and the big concrete silo across the water would be a good start.

The silos will be gone, a contract has been signed for it's demise so the whole North Quays area will be flat and ready for the 300m redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Any midlands town really, they have had the soul ripped out of them through unemployment and lack of investment.

Lost a whole generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

City not 'city'

Can you spell "Streets dug up" , "Roads Closed" ?
    Just in time for Winterval!? some dopes...
    City by name, town by design

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Kilrush, Co. Clare. What a scummy town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Waterford 'city' ..
    Shame

How is Waterford CITY a town?. Its nice beautiful quay, viking triangle, some nice parks peoples park etc. Your on the ould disco biscuits if you think its the worst.

Tuam is up there as the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Can you spell "Streets dug up" , "Roads Closed" ?
    Just in time for Winterval!? some dopes...
    City by name, town by design

Its caĺled progress and development, and its well overdue in this city, and i for one am glad to see it.some of it may turn out to be bad decidions but im willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience if it is for the benifit of the city, whats the alternative, stagnation,
    Show me a city in the world that doesn't have any roadworks or development going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Ringaskiddy in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Dundalk.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Dundalk.

F*ck off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

I was in ballinasloe a couple of years ago and couldn’t believe how bad it was. It’s like the town that time forgot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Ringaskiddy in Cork.

It's not a town though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Some coastal towns are nice but I can’t think of any towns or villages inland that are nice to look at or not depressing, outside of the pale anyway.
    I guess it boils down to country people not wanting to live in their towns and villages, a retail park seems to be the only place with life in it these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Any town in Mayo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

6541 wrote: »
    Any town in Mayo.

Westport is nice. Probably because it was designed in the British style, reminds me of nice villages in England.

How is Waterford CITY a town?. Its nice beautiful quay, viking triangle, some nice parks peoples park etc. Your on the ould disco biscuits if you think its the worst.

Tuam is up there as the worst.

Its neither a town nor a city...it's a shïtehole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

tastyt wrote: »
    Any midlands town really, they have had the soul ripped out of them through unemployment and lack of investment.

Lost a whole generation

That's very vague.
    If you look at some of the mentions in this thread, Mullingar, Athlone, Ballinasloe, Tullamore, even Clara.

Mullingar and Athlone used to be grim garrison towns. While both have a bit of long-empty property in the town streets, they are better than many other towns. Athlone's western side of town (Connacht Street/ Magazine rd) will probably remain poor until that side of town increases in population. The Monksland area is predicted to do that.

Tullamore's a fairly pretty town, despite Offaly in general high unemployment.

Ballinasloe, Dunlo street is essentially empty, and of course all the old 'protected', 'heritage' hospital buildings will not see use again. The town hasn't succeeded in occupying the AT Cross factory after 2 decades, so what angel investor does the state anticipate would be foolish enough to spend a fortune retrofitting that huge hospital building?
    On the other hand the local community / credit union did succeed in converting a large building further back, starting with a creche and turning it into an enterprise centre bit by bit over years.
    The town is kept pretty well by the locals.

Clara, much improved, used to be a seriously rough village. Very little in the village centre, and there doesn't seem to be much of an effort by the community to keep it well; but there's a few good employers that keep the place ticking over and unemployment down. (some of whom were dragged to the town kicking and screaming by the IDA [claimed to be the Cowan family influence. ] )

Some of the other villages on the old Dublin / Galway road are suffering worse, essentially just serving as night time worker accommodation. I'd find those more depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Tallow, Fethard Just awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

F*ck off. :pac:

That's what i did when i first saw Dundalk

• Advertisement
Advertisement