Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most depressing looking town in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Couple of places that have been mentioned already:

Portarlington - Where me mum comes from, she only heads there to visit relatives, only for that she wouldnt be seen dead in the place. Was already on a downward spiral when the peat towers were knocked down and a couple of factorys closed over the years. Combined the fact that it was ideally located as a commuter town but nothing built around (services wise) to accommodate new house buyers prove that it was going to end in disaster

Clara - Tumble weed galore in this place,played a few matches at their ground and it is totally lifeless as a town. Friend i went to college with bought a house there in the "good old celtic tiger" days ( a new estate) with the hope of renting it out for extra income, turned out to be a disastrous move as he couldnt get anyone into it and now has a house on his hands along negative equity to boot (his engagement ended over that decision for the house, you've been warned!!!)

Kildare Town - Despite the fact that Outlet is located there, its one of those "settler" towns that has no life, thank god for the bypass!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭RINO87

Kilcormac co offaly, only second to killimor co galway. Awful awful crappy one street towns with not a jot going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Bettystown and Laytown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Durrow, Co Kilkenny. Just driving through it makes me suicidal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Dungarvan is a grand town, can't believe someone mentioned it.
    Was at a firework display a few months back there and they put on some show over the harbour, absolutely beautiful. They did themselves proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Was at a firework display a few months back there and they put on some show over the harbour, absolutely beautiful. They did themselves proud.

when putting a fireworks display on is them 'doing themselves proud' it kinda says it all about the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Millstreet is another, only there once. People seemed weird there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Really? Have you ever been to Sligo? I must say I have never met anyone who has actually been to Sligo say they didn't like it, in fact they have only ever had positives to say about it.

Iv been there manys the time and I think its a hole ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

when putting a fireworks display on is them 'doing themselves proud' it kinda says it all about the town

It's a pretty seaside town. Some of the choices here are ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Longford town, and the majority of other towns in the county which have already been mentioned (Ballymahon, Granard, Edgeworthstown etc.)

The whole county is depressing. The biggest problem is the lack of jobs in the area. Most of the young people between 21-35 are gone except for a few. Last Saturday I was out in what was once the most popular pub in Longford town 10 years ago. There was about 30 people in the place all 50+. The word depressing doesn't even begin to describe it

I grew up in the town,am from there, left for college 8 years ago and have not lived back there since,go home regularly though. Up until 5 or 6 years ago the place was a lively place,always busy and was a real bustling town,weekends were always mental and it was a nice place if a little rough around the edges! Then when the recession hit it hit very very hard, and like you have said all us young people left, with absolutely nothing to bring us back! The people running the town are absolutely useless, and that's being nice (I wouldn't call them politicans because that would be insulting to politicans and that is saying something)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I seem to remember Ballybofey being quite a dump when I was last there, but thats a good few years ago now. Maybe its improved since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Thomas D wrote: »
    Prosperous.

The people who named it really had a good sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Tullamore isn't up to much either. It's the only town where I've witnessed someone taking a shíte in public. A rather large man who was almost certainly a member of the traveling community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Some not mentioned
    Cavan Town
    Tullow
    Arklow
    Bantry

Some to be reinforced
    Castledermot
    Baltinglass
    Dublin Centre
    Tralee
    Kildare town
    Kilcock
    Athy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Tullamore isn't up to much either. It's the only town where I've witnessed someone taking a shíte in public. A rather large man who was almost certainly a member of the traveling community.

In fairness, that could have just been Brian Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Longford

You feel dirty once you step onto longford soil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

RayM wrote: »
    In fairness, that could have just been Brian Cowen.

That would have been the whole country he was dumping on at the time :D

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Some not mentioned
    Cavan Town
    Tullow
    Arklow
    Bantry

Ah now. Bantry? Really? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Thespoofer wrote: »

John Betjeman write a poem about Dungarvan. On this basis alone, I adjudge that it can't be all that bad. ;)

http://www.jeremybowman.com/wordpress/?p=1067

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Laois_Man wrote: »

Some to be reinforced
    Castledermot
    Baltinglass
    Dublin Centre
    Tralee
    Kildare town
    Kilcock
    Athy

Jaysus, you'd know you were a Laois man anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Iv been there manys the time and I think its a hole ,

Thats a bit rich from someone with "Roscommon" in their name!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Rothmans wrote: »
    Jaysus, you'd know you were a Laois man anyway!!

Doesn't make me wrong :D

Ah now. Bantry? Really? :confused:

Only travelled the never ending road to it once and that was enough. Found it terribly dull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Feck me not many mentions of Dundalk! We must be moving up in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Feck me not many mentions of Dundalk! We must be moving up in the world!

Dundalk.

Delvin,

Moate

Clonmellon

Belturbet

Ballyjamesduff

Dungloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

whatswhat wrote: »
    Thats a bit rich from someone with "Roscommon" in their name!!!

and whats wrong with ros, nothing good ever came out of sligo thats for sure

Yeats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Longford

You feel dirty once you step onto longford soil

I hate Longford town, it's an desperate knackery hole but there's some lovely spots in Longford county like Ardagh. Say what you like about Protestants, they know how to keep a village lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barca2014

Westport

Interesting - we were going camping there next weekend. Heard it was a great spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Edenderry closely followed by mountmellick both would knock the life put of you & shannon town deserves a mention to. The best thing there is the airport out of it.

• Advertisement

Barca2014 wrote: »
    Interesting - we were going camping there next weekend. Heard it was a great spot.

Its gorgeous! I love visiting Westport, it must have been Stevie Wonder that didnt like it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Boyle Roscommon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Seen Buncranna and Letterkenny mentioned, I don't think they are that bad?
    I am bias on Buncranna as it's lisfannon beach where I went as a child on summer days.

Quite a lot of Co.Derry towns have a "local town for local people" feel to them, grim places.
    Feeny, Clady, Lettershandoney, Tobermore or Tamnaherin.

Iskaheen, Burnfoot and Dunree are rather bleak too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's starting to look like this thread should be which town isn't the most depressing looking town in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tralee. Absolute kip and always some trouble there

Actually I feel a certain amount of pride that we made it to the 7th page before getting a mention. :D

Its not that bad I haven't run into trouble their in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Clonmel.

A lot of scumbags and travellers in Clonmel, has a couple of overly large estates that produce a large quantity of gougers and scumbags, 3 large halting sites and a big problem with travellers on the road with sulkies, kids and all.

Only the other day a fella was in a bad accident on one, horse was fine.

Nothing much in the town center anymore either, most things have gone to the business estates on the outskirts of town, not much to see or do, nightlife is awful.

Pretty **** place now tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Clonmel.

horse was fine.

Really glad to hear the horse was fine & I'm not joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Shannon.
    An absolute dive where people go to die. That's all the place is good for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

For depressing vibe Longford Town tops my list too.

For there could be zombies ... Newtownforbes (also in Longford) and Fermoy Co Cork.

And the Celtic Tigers missing tooth Tyrellstown in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

Kilkee, especially outside the summer season. There is great scenery just outside the town but the town itself is awful. Buildings with broken windows and needing maintainance. Crap pubs and resteraunts. Depressing. The beauty outside the town just makes it stand out like a sore thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Tallaght. Its not the worse town I've been too, it just looks depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Barca2014 wrote: »

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Nenagh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The town of Naas is an awful place
    Portlaoise is just as bad
    Longford town would get you down
    but **** me Kinnegad

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I beg to differ when its versus what the good ever came out of Roscommon but I will give you the N4:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Yeats?

Please don't try and tell us you have a bit of culture. Maybe agriculture

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Longford, Clara, Kilbeggan and the kip that is Mountmellick,

Further south, Urlingford, Newcastle West and Tramore.

Oh, and my fav, Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I think a lot of people here are mixing up "quiet and uneventful" places with being total ****holes.

Having said that, there are definitely towns around the country that need a bit of a lift but that depends an awful lot on volunteers and people often don't want to give up their time.

One town I always found depressing is Roscrea but recently the locals have been trying to improve the town and in particular combat drug abuse in the town- I'm not sure what will come of it but if other towns put in the same effort then maybe some of these "depressing" towns would improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Athy is a awful looking town alright,that ugly Tegral factory that greets you especially.

Advertisement