Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Bike for €1000-€1300

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Without being able to offer too much advice, you can get plenty of bikje for that and there's value in used bikes too if you look around and are sure sellers are legit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

12 element wrote: »
    Hello all,

I bought a hybrid bike at the start of April and have now become addicted to cycling! I now need a road bike so have decided to use my bike to work scheme and put some money towards it if I have to.

I've done 1350km since I got the Hybrid with the longest spin being 95km I've started going out twice a week with the leisure group of the local club but can see myself doing a lot more next summer.

I'm thinking that I should be able to get Shimano 105 all around for my budget of €1000 - €1200

Here's some of the bikes I've found online so far:

There's the Ribble Carbon Evo:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-evo-pro-carbon-naked?part=BB14RIBEVOPRONAKED&sub=conf_BBRC&bike=1
    With the Shimano 105 Groupset it will be about €1250
    Not sure if I should go for a cheap carbon though, most people who bought one that I can find online seem happy enough.

ROSE PRO SL-3000 2014

http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro-sl-3000-2014/aid:668413?bikevariantchanged=668381#H-NNq9-pHK6-NNqD-NNqG-NNqH-NNqI-NNqJ-NNqK-NNqL-NNqN-NNqO-NNqP-NNqQ-NNqT-NNqU-NNqV-NNqW-NNqX-RpSe-k2fU-k2fV-k2fX-k2fY
    Ultegra Groupset for €1349 bit out of my price range but I might stretch for the right bike!

The Local bike shop I've visited didn't seem to have the same value as these two bikes they were mostly pushing Merida and Thompson bikes but I will probably try a few others and maybe go back to see what else they do now that I've done a bit more research.

Are there any other companies/bikes I should be looking at? My head is wrecked looking at bikes online!
    You wont find much better than the Rose for that price, plus it's fully customisable to your own specs for finishing kit. Rose customer service is also second to none. If you do get the Rose dont forget to sign up to the loyalty card BEFORE you buy, you'll get a huge amount of points on it when buying a bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have a look at canyon to. You can get an aluminium with full 105 for €1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Thanks Everyone,

I guess I can add the Canyon Roadlite AL:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3193

Nice looking bike with Ultegra seems to be a similar spec to the Rose bike.
    What are Canyon like to deal with? I hear there can be long waiting times for some of their bikes but presume it wouldn't apply to bikes they have in stock?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The waiting time depends on models etc. I had not problem when ordering mine. Got it within 2 weeks. They left a few bottle holders out and sent me extra ones no problem. Good CS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

A lot of people buy road bikes on the b2w scheme and never use them. Invariably, the missus or some other reason forces them to sell them be it either at winter or coming into spring. You'd do very well trawling done deal and the likes for a hardly used road bike nicely priced

MugMugs wrote: »
    A lot of people buy road bikes on the b2w scheme and never use them. Invariably, the missus or some other reason forces them to sell them be it either at winter or coming into spring. You'd do very well trawling done deal and the likes for a hardly used road bike nicely priced

Thanks I was hoping to use my bike to work as I figure when I take the tax savings into account I'll get a better deal buying new.
    I also like the idea of paying back the bike over the next year!

Think I'll add the Planet X PRO Carbon Sram Rival:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV13/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-road-bike
    Unlike the other bikes this has a SRAM groupset and I think the Rival is comparable to the Shimano 105 but the frame is carbon fibre.

So I have 2 Carbon frame + Fork with Shimano 105 or equivalent and 2 Alu frame + Carbon fork with Ultegra all around. They all seem to weigh around 8kg so I think I'm leaning towards the Alu frame with Ultegra. And more towards the Canyon because it is a better known brand than the Rose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The ROSE bike is a good spec alright for the money but as mentioned so is the Canyon. I am looking to pick up a Canyon soon myself but I believe my waiting time will be 2 months given the model and size I am going for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Think I'll add the Planet X PRO Carbon Sram Rival:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV13/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-road-bike
    Unlike the other bikes this has a SRAM groupset and I think the Rival is comparable to the Shimano 105 but the frame is carbon fibre.

So I have 2 Carbon frame + Fork with Shimano 105 or equivalent and 2 Alu frame + Carbon fork with Ultegra all around. They all seem to weigh around 8kg so I think I'm leaning towards the Alu frame with Ultegra. And more towards the Canyon because it is a better known brand than the Rose.

I wouldn't buy an Alu Canyon over a Carbon Rose. That's just my opinion though, I enjoy owning carbon.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy an Alu Canyon over a Carbon Rose. That's just my opinion though, I enjoy owning carbon.

But is that ROSE not Alu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

logik wrote: »

Yes it is.

I misread so.

OP, buy carbon. It's what all the cool kids own.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Stupid advice!

I am of the opinion of buying a bike for your needs and not going OTT just because it is the thing to do. I personally would not get the use out of an expensive Carbon bike. I cycle 2/3 times a week and do the odd sportive (RoK and other club rides) but that is it. I don't race, and never will.

For me paying 1200 euro for a Canyon Alu bike with full Ultegra 6800 is perfect. It comes in at 7.9kg which is a full 1.6kg lighter than what I am riding at the moment.

I think buying a bike really needs to be based on your needs and plans. Sure, my heart wants a 2000 euro + Carbon bike but my head tells me, I don't need it, wont get the use out of it.

The ROSE bike the OP lists is nice, decent spec. OP, if you do want a Carbon bike for about 1300, you might get a decent one second hand.

I am of the opinion of buying a bike for your needs and not going OTT just because it is the thing to do. I personally would not get the use out of an expensive Carbon bike. I cycle 2/3 times a week and do the odd sportive (RoK and other club rides) but that is it. I don't race, and never will.

For me paying 1200 euro for a Canyon Alu bike with full Ultegra 6800 is perfect. It comes in at 7.9kg which is a full 1.6kg lighter than what I am riding at the moment.

I think buying a bike really needs to be based on your needs and plans. Sure, my heart wants a 2000 euro + Carbon bike but my head tells me, I don't need it, wont get the use out of it.

The ROSE bike the OP lists is nice, decent spec. OP, if you do want a Carbon bike for about 1300, you might get a decent one second hand.

My advice was tongue in cheek. I wouldn't disagree with any of this.

The OP can get a Planet X SL Pro carbon with SRAM rival for €1300 though. Decent bike and group set, hard to beat on that budget.

they/them/theirs

The OP can get a Planet X SL Pro carbon with SRAM rival for €1300 though. Decent bike and group set, hard to beat on that budget.

1300 for a Planet X Carbon is an amazing price. Are you riding one yourself Brian?

1300 for a Planet X Carbon is an amazing price. Are you riding one yourself Brian?

I'm not, a mate has one though. Very nice bike.

http://planetxireland.com/products-page/sl-pro-carbon-bikes/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-road-bike/

they/them/theirs

Very nice indeed, has me thinking now. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

You can get 10 speed ultegra on their uk website for £999 / €1215.39

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXPC6700/planet-x-pro-carbon-6700-shimano-ultegra

although they just have large & extra large sizes.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was going to say I am not a fan of SRAM, good to know they have a Ultegra equivalent.

Just to let anyone else looking I went for the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 and it arrived today! Very happy so far but I only managed to get out for a short 15km spin. As it is my first road bike I don't have anything to compare it with but it feels so much lighter than my hybrid.
    It feels so different and I'll have to get used to the dropped bars and vertical brake levers/gears!

318048.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Just to let anyone else looking I went for the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 and it arrived today! Very happy so far but I only managed to get out for a short 15km spin. As it is my first road bike I don't have anything to compare it with but it feels so much lighter than my hybrid.
    It feels so different and I'll have to get used to the dropped bars and vertical brake levers/gears!

Please forgive this small suggestion but you might consider a minor adjustment to the handle bars. Have them so the brake levers are completely vertical. Only took me 11 months to cop on to that. Mine was just like yours.

I set mine up using the white line in the bars via the stem, rather than having the bars flat and the brake levers fully vertical. Makes a huge difference when you are on the drops.

You can see what I mean on the Canyon website. http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3193

Note the "level" handle bars.

Thanks Unkown Soldier, I too used the white line on the bars to line them up but will adjust tomorrow before I take it out for another spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

318048.jpg

Well wear. Now you have to go take that Manulla KOM!!

G1032 wrote: »
    Well wear. Now you have to go take that Manulla KOM!!

Don't know about that! I'm wondering what the 34 x 28 will be like on the hills. What do you run? I think I had it easy so far on the Hybrid with a 28 x 32!

By the way if you are looking for another challenging hill then you should try:
    http://www.strava.com/segments/2242055?filter=overall
    But it's probably not doable on a road bike as there's a bit of gravel/bad surface on the roads up to the main ascent but 90% of the steeper parts are a decent surface. It's brutal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Don't know about that! I'm wondering what the 34 x 28 will be like on the hills. What do you run? I think I had it easy so far on the Hybrid with a 28 x 32!

By the way if you are looking for another challenging hill then you should try:
    http://www.strava.com/segments/2242055?filter=overall
    But it's probably not doable on a road bike as there's a bit of gravel/bad surface on the roads up to the main ascent but 90% of the steeper parts are a decent surface. It's brutal!

That looks an insane climb. My lowest gear is 39/30. Changed my rear cassette from the 12/25 to a 12/30 a few weeks ago.
    You'll be fine with the 34/28. iirc 34/28 is over 4% easier than a 39/30.

Might try that climb you linked on my hybrid. Got a triple on that.

Very nice bike, good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Very nice bike, good luck with it.

What he said ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Lovely bike, best of luck with it. I'm agonising over the Canyon AL 6 (105) or AL 7 (Ultegra), or the Rose Pro SL 2015 with the new 105. Good to hear you like the Canyon. What size frame did you get/what size are you?

Lovely bike, best of luck with it. I'm agonising over the Canyon AL 6 (105) or AL 7 (Ultegra), or the Rose Pro SL 2015 with the new 105. Good to hear you like the Canyon. What size frame did you get/what size are you?

I'm 5'8.5" and I was recommended the Small using the bikefit thing on canyons Website. I'm happy with the size so far but it's so different to the hybrid I was cycling that it's hard to tell.

I wasn't sure which to chose between the Canyon and the Rose as there's not much between them. I'm happy I went with the Canyon in the end though.

Advertisement