Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not happy with Ssangyong Kyron

• 27-07-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

With owning one of these vehicles I would NOT recommend it at all.

I only continue to drive it as I am tied into a 5 year deal, which is nearly at an end. Thank god and will then get shut of it.

I have even considered selling it to an auction site, but with being tied in what I owe on it, the auction site what they offered would not pay it off.

At first everything was great, but within 9 months of having it I then encountered problems.

The turbo started playing up, loss of power and I have lost count of the numerous amounts of bulbs that have been replaced (it is definitely over 100 - yes you did read that right) as when one bulbs goes if you do not know it zaps the next bulb and so on. No other explanation has been given other than that!

Within the first 12 months I had the whole of the back lights replaced, after being flashed by private hire taxi driver and telling me. Great !

The vehicle has been in over 10 times with turbo issues. I find even after a service, problems occur soon after. I was half way going to Scotland when in the outer lane and the vehicle lost power, the dash was flickering and it would not move above 20mph. It was towed to a dealer and the cause a reverse light bulb. Because it was this bulb the vehicle was unsure if it was going forward or backwards !! No warning but a sudden flung forward in your seat !

The bulb was replaced and then within a week the engine light comes on. Back in again. Three weeks later turbo problems and bulbs gone.

I have also because of a front bulb being out on the front of the car, been pulled by the Police and as it was around Christmas I had a breathalyser test. This peed me off even more even though I had not been drinking but it give the police an excuse to pull me !

Luckily he did not give me any points - but the garage again got a mouthful from me!

I do not feel safe in the vehicle and it is always on my mind that it is going to cut out/lose power when I get on the open road or pull away from the lights.

I even requested the dealer to take the vehicle back but they would not pay off the finance.

I continue giving the dealer a sharp tongue as I am becoming peed off going back and forth.

All they keep saying is I must have an unlucky model as no one else has these problems
    . With not knowing anyone else who has one of these, I am not sure if anyone else has had these sort problems? I suspect I must not be alone !

My own personal experience I will not be buying any further Ssangyong models

Very poor customer support from the dealer I purchase it from, no courtesy vehicle to give you and the servicing is not cheap!

Also noisy - sounds like a Taxi, you could never leave your house at night quietly.

As I type this I have a further two bulbs out and the engine light is on again, after it being fixed 2 months ago ARRGH !!

Very poor vehicle and I give it a thumbs down

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

to be fair to Ssangyong, they made it so ugly that very few people would make the mistake of actually buying one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

bruiser2 wrote: »

I have also because of a front bulb being out on the front of the car, been pulled by the Police and as it was around Christmas I had a breathalyser test. This peed me off even more even though I had not been drinking but it give the police an excuse to pull me !

Luckily he did not give me any points - but the garage again got a mouthful from me!

I get what you are saying for the most part of this thread,

But seriously, how is it the garage's fault that you failed to notice a headlight bulb was out? That is total negligence on your behalf.

You actually gave the dealer a bollocking because you didn't notice a blown bulb?

Its no wonder the dealership isn't to keen on helping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Fully agree with Ssangyong Kyron being so ugly that few in THIS part of the world would buy one, but Ssangyong IS a successful manufacturer - they're giving their customers what they want. However, it's a budget end product and, unfortunately, budget end products often come with budget end back-up.

The litany of mechanical and electrical failures is shocking, as are the BS diagnoses. Remember the phrase "fit for purpose"? In your shoes, I would be at war with Ssangyong, and not just with the dealer!

It's the 21st century - if one bulb on my christmas tree lights fails, the rest still work! "Something" is causing the FIRST bulb to fail. It's not old age, it's being popped, then the next and the next, etc.

You need to repair the symptoms but you MUST find the root cause. I'm donkey's years out-of-date with auto-electrics but a good auto electrician should be able to track where the spike is coming from. It's probably a one-off manufacturing fault rather than a design fault but, you know, it could be something as simple as wrong size fuses, dodgy relay or moisture in the loom or lens units!

Nothing worse than driving a vehicle and waiting for the next mystery failure so I wish you well in getting it sorted. If it's any consolation, my car (hint in my username) came with a boot full of faults but, one by one, we found and removed the causes. Now, I wouldn't swap it for anything.......except money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

bruiser2 wrote: »
    With owning one of these vehicles I would NOT recommend it at all.

I only continue to drive it as I am tied into a 5 year deal, which is nearly at an end. Thank god and will then get shut of it.

I have even considered selling it to an auction site, but with being tied in what I owe on it, the auction site what they offered would not pay it off.

At first everything was great, but within 9 months of having it I then encountered problems.

The turbo started playing up, loss of power and I have lost count of the numerous amounts of bulbs that have been replaced (it is definitely over 100 - yes you did read that right) as when one bulbs goes if you do not know it zaps the next bulb and so on. No other explanation has been given other than that!

Within the first 12 months I had the whole of the back lights replaced, after being flashed by private hire taxi driver and telling me. Great !

The vehicle has been in over 10 times with turbo issues. I find even after a service, problems occur soon after. I was half way going to Scotland when in the outer lane and the vehicle lost power, the dash was flickering and it would not move above 20mph. It was towed to a dealer and the cause a reverse light bulb. Because it was this bulb the vehicle was unsure if it was going forward or backwards !! No warning but a sudden flung forward in your seat !

The bulb was replaced and then within a week the engine light comes on. Back in again. Three weeks later turbo problems and bulbs gone.

I do not feel safe in the vehicle and it is always on my mind that it is going to cut out/lose power when I get on the open road or pull away from the lights.

I even requested the dealer to take the vehicle back but they would not pay off the finance.

I continue giving the dealer a sharp tongue as I am becoming peed off going back and forth.

All they keep saying is I must have an unlucky model as no one else has these problems
    . With not knowing anyone else who has one of these, I am not sure if anyone else has had these sort problems? I suspect I must not be alone !

My own personal experience I will not be buying any further Ssangyong models

Very poor customer support from the dealer I purchase it from, no courtesy vehicle to give you and the servicing is not cheap!

Also noisy - sounds like a Taxi, you could never leave your house at night quietly.

As I type this I have a further two bulbs out and the engine light is on again, after it being fixed 2 months ago ARRGH !!

Very poor vehicle and I give it a thumbs down

But Bill Cullen says they are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Even the name of it would put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Obviously this is a 2009 or 2010 model. Ssangyong disappeared from Ireland for a while and now are distributed by Harris who from my own experience with a problem Isuzu offer unbelieveably good service. (turbo went and caused an engine problem, car was out of warranty, but they said it was a fault with the vehicle and replaced the entire engine at no charge whatsoever)

Also, new moel line-up is completely differtn these days - however I would not touch an old model ssangyong.

But the OP post shows possibly how he has approached things -
    complaining that a bad bulb caused him to be breathalysed! Then saying he was lucky not to get points - UK points don't apply to irish licences, so, would have been no point!

Courtesy vehicle - you pay for that somehow. Either in higher car price or higher servcie price - nothing is free.

Noisey like a taxi - its a diesel I presume - old style diesels, esp 4x4's are noisy.

In any case, technically the finance company owns the vehicle, you should give them a report. I had dreadful issues with a discovery many years ago and was told to leave it in the garage forecourt, hand the keys in to the service dept and the finance company (BOI) would deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Do people actually buy Sangyong anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

This is such an Irish attitude to cars it's not even funny. Do zero research, buy a car, get tied into a 5-year contract (lunacy). And then complain like hell when the known vehicle problems start to rear there head.

It's tough luck with your car-jeep thing OP but for the love of god I hope you've learned a few lessons outta this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

OG0Y6.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JC01 wrote: »
    This is such an Irish attitude to cars it's not even funny. Do zero research, buy a car, get tied into a 5-year contract (lunacy). And then complain like hell when the known vehicle problems start to rear there head.

It's tough luck with your car-jeep thing OP but for the love of god I hope you've learned a few lessons outta this.

This is/was a known problem? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Do people actually buy Sangyong anymore?

bill-cullen.png
    PEOPLE WILL BUY WHAT I TELL THEM TO BUY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Not happy with Ssangyong Kyron

Who is ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Great to be wise with hindsight

someone has to bite the bullet and give their personal experience how else would the rest of us be aware as we can't believe product advertising.

Good to see both positive and negative of any car.

In this case its more negative but thats hardly the buyers fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Just to help you out OP. I had a buddy with one of these. He was always blowing bulbs. Turned out it was the alternator. He got a new one and the bulbs stopped blowing.

Advertisement