Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best spots around Dublin?

• 27-07-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry, I couldn't see a thread like this, was hoping there would be a thread like this stickied..

So I recently bought a 300mm lens for my camera and I want to try get some nice shots of animals.

I live in Chapelizod and I've done the deer in the park and been to the zoo, but I want to get a lot more and I was hoping ye could help me 😀

Is there something like a list of hot spots to go to around Dublin for this, and that animals I might expect to see there?

I'd be bus-ing it around, no car.

Thanks everyone 😀

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry, I couldn't see a thread like this, was hoping there would be a thread like this stickied..

So I recently bought a 300mm lens for my camera and I want to try get some nice shots of animals.

I live in Chapelizod and I've done the deer in the park and been to the zoo, but I want to get a lot more and I was hoping ye could help me 😀

Is there something like a list of hot spots to go to around Dublin for this, and that animals I might expect to see there?

I'd be bus-ing it around, no car.

Thanks everyone 😀
    Dalkey Island off Dalkey is great for breeding terns at this time of year. Poolbeg is great for waders and gulls. Howth head is great for guillemots, razorbills and kittiwakes now as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Blessington Basin has a number of different species of ducks that were released from private collections that would be worth looking at, not to mention species like Mandarin Duck in the ponds in the Phoenix Park. Urban wildlife in the various small parks such as squirrels, gulls, ducks, foxes etc are all worthy of attention too in my opinion. A walk along the pier in Dun Laoghaire will get you seals and small waders like Turnstones, gulls etc.

Others might have different experience, and to a certain extent it depends on the lens and camera in question, but I've always had difficulty in getting properly good photos of waders and seabirds with a 300mm lens, certainly without causing disturbance anyway which I always try to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Booterstown nature reserve, good seating area or you can snap from the road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Booterstown nature reserve, good seating area or you can snap from the road..

Oh, come now, Booterstown 'nature reserve' - a flooded mess with a few Little Egrets sitting on some builders rubble. A sorry indictment of Irish nature conservation and management which An Taisce have presided over since the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Well i was out out their last autumn and got some great pictures (will post tomorrow) when you cheer up...

• Advertisement
Advertisement