Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of ATM's in Dundalk

Options
  • 27-07-2014 1:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Serious lack of ATM machines in the Park Street/Dublin Street/Anne Street area of the town

When you leave the new/temp Tesco and walk to town, the closest bank machine is in Clanbrasill Street. With the main pubs, clubs in town mostly on Park street I find this very bizzare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Not just bizarre damn annoying too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They're a dying breed. Can't remember the last time I used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

There used to be one at Blue Sky mortgages beside Connollys bike shop (Dublin St direction) but it's gone a few years now. It was handy.

Seems a lot of them are in shops and supermarkets now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They seem to nearly all be in shops - which from a safety point of view I much prefer. There is no end to the number available around the town : just not on the stretch from Hill St to Park St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Some of the bars along there will take cards and give cashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cargo wrote: »
    Some of the bars along there will take cards and give cashback.

But you shouldn't have to go into a bar in order to get cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

But you shouldn't have to go into a bar in order to get cash.

If you take a look at the opening post the OP specifically seemed to be concerned with lack of ATM's in proximity to the main pub/club strip in Dundalk so that's why I was alerting him to the availability of cashback in many of these premises if he is caught short of cash.

You can of course walk to the bank if it bothers you but I was trying to help the OP.

I can think of at least one popular pub that doesn't take cards let alone give cashback. It's pretty fecking annoying.

cargo wrote: »
    If you take a look at the opening post the OP specifically seemed to be concerned with lack of ATM's in proximity to the main pub/club strip in Dundalk so that's why I was alerting him to the availability of cashback in many of these premises if he is caught short of cash.

You can of course walk to the bank if it bothers you but I was trying to help the OP.

Understood.
    My point is that they should be on the street though. Then again we don't even have a public toilet in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Then again we don't even have a public toilet in the town.

Have eircom taken all the phone boxes away ? :eek: :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Some Pubs/Ridleys do cashback, but what happens if its early morning/late at night when they are shut. From Topaz on the Dublin Rd their is not 1 bank machine untill you hit Clanbrasil Street.

Thats noit good enough for a town this size surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Then again we don't even have a public toilet in the town.

Isn't there one outside the cathedral? As you turn into the carpark?

mod9maple wrote: »
    Isn't there one outside the cathedral? As you turn into the carpark?

Think its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Think its gone.

It's still there.Think there is also one at St.Helenas park.
    What we need are atm's inside public loo's :pac:

Ah dirty money.

The one in town is still there but the one in the park is gone. We found that out to my friend's annoyance a few weeks ago. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

They closed the one in Helena's park a few months ago and the one in the demesne a good bit before that. Apparently it costs over €30000 to run them so the council put a stop to them. With regards to the atm's it used to be a real; a real pain in the hole not having one on Park St but it's not so bad now given the fact that most places take laser and generally you don't have to spend more than tenner to use it anymore. Although the China Kitchen don't have a laser machine which is a bit of a pain.

I can think of at least one popular pub that doesn't take cards let alone give cashback. It's pretty fecking annoying.

There are 2 pubs popular more or less beside each other and on Park St.

As for the toilets they were being misused as a result of the social scourge of drug addition, while self cleaning used hypos were an ongoing risk. Hopefully a phase that will pass and not require their permanent removal. Anyhow during the day the Library has public toilets (if it is said that there isn't insist that as a public building there has to be).

Nesta99 wrote: »
    There are 2 pubs popular more or less beside each other and on Park St.

Unfortunately I don't always go drinking alone so I don't always get to choose what pub to go to.

Unfortunately I don't always go drinking alone so I don't always get to choose what pub to go to.

I was getting at the fact that the 2 pubs dont have card facilities yet are both very busy.

• Advertisement

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I was getting at the fact that the 2 pubs dont have card facilities yet are both very busy.

No bother, thought you were being a cheeky bastard. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

it is a pain in the bum alright and I am sure business owners down that way must be well annoyed at that fact there is no ATM

No bother, thought you were being a cheeky bastard. :P

Moi?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

Pighead wrote: »
    the China Kitchen don't have a laser machine which is a bit of a pain.

It's a huge pain. The only takeaway I know of that takes cards is Mullens. Small businesses really despise taking cards it seems. I wonder why that would be.

On a different note, if you use a card on a regular basis in the local pub would you be giving your bank ammunition to use against you if you ever apply for a loan? They might regard you as an alco and a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

spawinte wrote: »
    It's a huge pain. The only takeaway I know of that takes cards is Mullens. Small businesses really despise taking cards it seems. I wonder why that would be.

Because they all love the waste of time and hassle and expense of going to the bank 3-4 times a week...

Honestly, the cheek of those scumbags who want to put their money directly into your bank account, instantly and completely securely! How dare they?

LM, chances are that a pub that gives cashback will see that cash being spent in their bar. Customer pays for cash possibly with a surcharge and business gets the cash back and then no need for a trip to the bank to get 'float' at a cost. Win win as I see it. Not gonna work for all businesses but busy pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Nesta,

My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek!

For a business, it makes all sorts of financial and security sense to take as much money as you possibly can via Visa, MC, Visa Debit, MC Debit, with the sole exception of numpties who want to buy something for €1 and get €50 cashback (your small profit on the €1 same will be wiped out by the fee you pay for the transaction). However, if someone's buying a €20 round of drinks, and wants to get €50 or €100 cashback, then great. That's €50 or €100 less that you have to carry to the bank, and €50 or €100 less that cannot be robbed from your till or safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Because they all love the waste of time and hassle and expense of going to the bank 3-4 times a week...

Honestly, the cheek of those scumbags who want to put their money directly into your bank account, instantly and completely securely! How dare they?

Let's remember also that the real reason is to do with taxes. It costs them money to have these machines and use them that is why a lot of businesses struggling decide not to use them but there really is no excuse in this day and age not to have one and those avoiding having one to skimp and save should be made illegal. I was in the subway one day when the lady told me they accept cash only, I just said awww that's a shame, left the food on the tray and walked away. I didn't have cash on me and I'm not going to walk the length and breadth of the marshes to a machine that charges me more for using it than using my card in a store like Burger King.

• Advertisement

Nesta,

My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek!

Woosh!

Advertisement