Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do killarney

Options
  • 27-07-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for fairly cheap/free things to do with 5 kids in Killarney
    We are going next Monday to Friday staying I castlerosse holiday cottages.
    I think where we are staying is fairly well located for walks ect,
    Is Kenmere far from Killarney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Mostly outdoor stuff really so I hope the weather is good. Kenmare is around a half an hour drive from Killarney. Where Castlerosse is, you can go straight into the national park and walk into Killarney, not sure of the distance but I think it's about 5km. You can visit the following in the Killarney area:
    Ross Castle,
    Muckross House,
    Torc Waterfall,
    Gap Of Dunloe,
    Molls Gap,
    Jaunting Carts can take you out to most of those places but they can be pricey.
    There's a seabus thing as well in Kenmare. http://www.seafariireland.com/things-to-do-in-kenmare/
    You can drive the ring of Kerry too, or head to Dingle and visit the surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

A lot of the Free/Cheap will depend on the ages of the kids

Playground opposite the Cathedrial
    Kennedys Pet Farm
    Surfing Lessons in Inch (40 min Drive)
    Rope Climbing (15 min walk from the hotel)
    Coolwood Wildlife Park
    Castlerosse has a Great Swiming Pool, Tennis Courts and Basketball Courts and only a 10 min walk to Killarney through the National Park

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Thanks for all of those,
    Sorry kids are 11,10,7 (gaa mad boys delighted to be there the day after the quarter finals) 3 and 2..

Interested in going to dingle but as we are driving almost 5 hours down to kerry,I'm not sure the kids will be up for a drive there,although the surfing in inch sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rent bikes from the hotel & cycle down through the woods to Ross Castle or somewhere else along the lake for a picnic. A great opportunity to check out the deer & other wildlife on the way. As it is lakeside the trails are fairly flat which is great for the younger cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Thanks for all of those,
    Sorry kids are 11,10,7 (gaa mad boys delighted to be there the day after the quarter finals) 3 and 2..

Interested in going to dingle but as we are driving almost 5 hours down to kerry,I'm not sure the kids will be up for a drive there,although the surfing in inch sounds good.

There is a playground in the Castlerosse (and a basketball and tennis court as well I think ) so it's probably not a priority but there is another decent playground in town, near the Cathedral, which is beside a GAA field, which has open access. You could easily take the younger ones to the playground and you would be easily able to keep an eye on the older boys if they want to have a kickaround with posts. You can tell them that both Colm Cooper and Paul Galvin are extremely likely to have played/trained on that pitch at some stage - Galvin when he was teaching in the Sem and Cooper when he was a pupil in the Sem or the Mon - the two schools are very close by across the road. The playground can get fairly busy at times, especially compared to the one at the hotel.

If you go to Muckross House make sure not to miss the rockery - it's kinda like a maze, lots of paths through rocks and stuff - it's very near the House and the Coffee Shop/Restaurant/Shop. The 3 older lads would definitely enjoy it.

Fossa GAA pitch is pretty much directly across the road from the entrance to the Castlerosse hotel. Maybe get in touch with them it see if there are any games, even underage, or even training when you are down. Fossa ain't the strongest team but no need to tell the lads that ;)

If the lads are GAA obsessed take a spin up by Fitzgerald Stadium - it's pretty much in town, Best way is to go up by Lewis Road - at the very least there is a place to pull a car in, even if there's no one around you can look in the through the old gates. Direcly across the road you can take them into Crokes Pitch which is beside the Killarney pitch and putt club (which is something the older guys might be interested in as well)

In terms of going to Dingle you are on the right side of town for it anyway - if the weather is mixed being in the car for a while might nor be the worst thing in the world. Probably take about 40/45 minutes to get to Inch beach, while about an hour to get to Dingle.

Spin down to Ross Castle as well - always worth a gawk.
    Head out to Kate Kearney's and walk up a bit of the Gap.

Also to get a good view of the town/area take a quick spin up to the Aghadoe Hotel/where the cemetary is - 5 minute drive (you could probably take a walk there) and really get a great vista of Killarney - even if the weather is bad you can see it from the car; if its fine there is a big field/open area in front of the hotel where you can take a short wander, the lads can run/kick ball.

Fingers crossed the weather is fine as it makes taking care of the youngsters a whole lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Kenmare is probably 45 minutes from Killarney.
    One thing is that there are a number of places you could stop on your way there, to break the trip up a bit, see the sights, so it's not a case of being stuck in the car the entire time. Probably best to do Muckross House, a separate day, so stop in at Torc waterfall, then probably pull in at Ladies View, then on to Kenmare itself. In Kenmare there is a good playground out by the Supervalu. Also you could go to Kenmare that route and then come back via the Kilgarvan route, which is a better road and easier driving but not as scenic (the gang should be a bit tired out by that stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The playground at Castleross isn't up to much, tbh. Just in case you were banking on it. The hotel has a pool, so if your kids swim you'll get a couple of hours amusement there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

The playground at Castleross isn't up to much, tbh. Just in case you were banking on it.

True, but the one across from the Cathedral and therefore along the 'Fossa Way' path from Castlerosse into town (10 min walk) is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 solataire

small castle for kids to explore at viewing point at aghadoe..
    play at heights killarney. is name of climbing place. you pass it on way to aghadoe.. 10 euro for 5 yr old + in junior section . my son had 2 hrs of entertainment great value. not sure of min height of older course but my 12 yr old loved it but its 18 euro.. younger daughter was entertained watching others .
    feeding ducks while at ross castle.
    nice playground at end of muckross farm pay to enter farm.

Advertisement