Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Drive

Options
  • 27-07-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I want to copy music and movie files to a 2tb NAS drive and want to know if I would be eating up my broadband allowance doing this. I can fill it up but dont want to go over fair usage policy. ( the nice folk at eircom support "don't know")

Is there a simple way to connect direct to computer was on google and not so simple

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'll assume you're not copying files over the internet. I.E you're copying the files at home from PC to NAS?

If so, this has nothing to do with your bandwidth. Cable the NAS and the pc to your internet broadband router - this will allow connectivity from the PC to the NAS. Then simply copy the files across.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

"I'll assume you're not copying files over the internet. I.E you're copying the files at home from PC to NAS?"

Yes, from PC to NAS. Does this apply to wireless. (Slower I know but I have to do it this way)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Yeah same applies, just a slower transfer rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

practice wrote: »
    "I'll assume you're not copying files over the internet. I.E you're copying the files at home from PC to NAS?"

Yes, from PC to NAS. Does this apply to wireless. (Slower I know but I have to do it this way)

Thanks

Pretty much what the other guy said. If you want to understand, think of it this way - if the devices that you want to talk to each other are all contained physically within your house, then you don't need to worry about internet bandwidth usage at all. That only applies when a device you own wants to talk with a device that is outside your house (i.e. your computer to a computer on the Internet)

Advertisement