Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting trouble AGAINNNNN

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

New brushes been posted today. Dont know about this one lads. Think I might have bitten off more than I can chew:eek: Ill have a blast when the part arrives though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

New brushes been posted today. Dont know about this one lads. Think I might have bitten off more than I can chew:eek: Ill have a blast when the part arrives though.
    Its not hard, the starter might need a few other parts removed before you can remove it but it shouldn't be that hard.
    The actual replacement of the brushes is quite straightforward.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its not hard, the starter might need a few other parts removed before you can remove it but it shouldn't be that hard.
    The actual replacement of the brushes is quite straightforward.

Its just that im getting conflicting information. I have read I must drain the oil first & I have also read that I dont need to drain the oil. Ive also read that the carbs, and airbox must be removed also. I even seen somewhere that the new brushes needed to be welded on???

And for tonights entertainment we have cock up #99

Think im a long long way up Sh1t creek without a paddle.

So I started by draining the oil which was a good choice as it would have leaked out once I removed the alternator cover.
    I then started removing bits ad bobs in order to get to the starter motor.
    I had to partially remove the carbs (never done that before ) followed by pulling the airbox back.
    First cock up was not running the engine dry from fuel before I started working. Every hose removed resulted in fuel spilling everywhere (lovely smell).

There was some hoses coming from the bottom of the engine that also had to be removed.

In picture # 3 & 4 I removed a part that wont seem to go back into the engine. Anybody know what it is?

Also what do you think of those gasket gel things you can get instead of a rubber gasket. Like this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Liquid-Gasket-Threebond-1215-Engine-Sump-Gearbox-Sealer-250g-Tube-/351058163192?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51bcb275f8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

Is the starter relay faulty?

• Advertisement

YCHGTBOY wrote: »
    Is the starter relay faulty?

Its the starter motor itself. Bike would only fire up when I tapped it whilst hitting the start button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

That's a cam chain tensioner.

blade1 wrote: »
    That's a cam chain tensioner.

Ok. Is there a trick to putting them back in? or should it just slot back in. Ill give it a blast again when the new brushes arrive.

What bike are u working on again?
    Tensioners should wind back before installing them?
    Be careful letting out that tensioner when fitting it.

What bike are u working on again?
    Tensioners should wind back before installing them?
    Be careful letting out that tensioner when fitting it.

1994 cb400 superfour

• Advertisement

1994 cb400 superfour

I have never had one of them so not certain but it's probably ok to wind back the tensioner and then release it when fitted.

I'm not 100% about that though.

Some bikes there is a chance that when the tensioner is released and hits the cam chain that it might make the chain jump a tooth.

Personally if it was me I would have it at top dead centre before fitting the tensioner, this way the chain would be taut and would definitely not jump.

Somebody that knows a bit more about those cb's will tell you more than I can.

I have never had one of them so not certain but it's probably ok to wind back the tensioner and then release it when fitted.

I'm not 100% about that though.

Some bikes there is a chance that when the tensioner is released and hits the cam chain that it might make the chain jump a tooth.

Personally if it was me I would have it at top dead centre before fitting the tensioner, this way the chain would be taut and would definitely not jump.

Somebody that knows a bit more about those cb's will tell you more than I can.

It shouldnt be a problem, hopefully. I had a nightmare thought that I would have to strip the engine to install the CCT:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Do NOT turn the engine over with the Camchain tensioner removed.
    There was no need to remove it.

Do NOT turn the engine over with the Camchain tensioner removed.
    There was no need to remove it.

Does turning the engine over include wheeling the bike forward a few feet?

New brushes arrived today and I have them assembled. Next step is to pick up some gasket sealant in motor factors. Then I can refit the starter.

New parts

New brushes arrived today and I have them assembled. Next step is to pick up some gasket sealant in motor factors. Then I can refit the starter.
    Its easy to cut a gasket from gasket paper, really easy.
    Sharp craft knife/scalpel and some time.
    I don't like using silicone sealer when there is a risk of the stuff getting into the engine and oilways.

Because I drained the oil and spilled most of the petrol in the engine she took a few attempts to get going but she fired up nicely in the end. When I was refitting a coolant pipe I noticed the rubber O ring was bollloxed but I thought I might get away with it. Not so, when I fired up the engine the coolant started leaking out. I hoping to pop to a motor factors or halfords tomorrow and pick up an O ring kit. Hopefully one of them will be the right size or it looks like im ordering over the net:o

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/auto-parts/fixings-fuses-electricals/halfords-assorted-o-rings If one of these dont fit I give up

Because I drained the oil and spilled most of the petrol in the engine she took a few attempts to get going but she fired up nicely in the end. When I was refitting a coolant pipe I noticed the rubber O ring was bollloxed but I thought I might get away with it. Not so, when I fired up the engine the coolant started leaking out. I hoping to pop to a motor factors or halfords tomorrow and pick up an O ring kit. Hopefully one of them will be the right size or it looks like im ordering over the net:o

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/auto-parts/fixings-fuses-electricals/halfords-assorted-o-rings If one of these dont fit I give up
    Pick up some superglue while you are there, if one doesn't fit but is the right diameter, choose the next size up so its longer than you need,cut the ends on a 45º angle and superglue the ends together to make the right size.
    You used to be able to buy long coils of different diameter o-ring and make your own.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Pick up some superglue while you are there, if one doesn't fit but is the right diameter, choose the next size up so its longer than you need,cut the ends on a 45º angle and superglue the ends together to make the right size.
    You used to be able to buy long coils of different diameter o-ring and make your own.

Your wisdom never ends CJ:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,382 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've got a set of silicone rubber O-rings from Aldi, was only a few euro for about 100, assorted sizes, if you know the size I can check if I have it. That's not to guarantee it'd be up to the job long term, but you never know.

Jesus man were you trying to take the whole bike apart? From the pics, the starter motor comes off with 2 bolts. No need to open the alternator cover, never mind camchain tensioner or coolant circuit. Hard to see why the carbs needed to come off, either, the starter is slim enough and should slide out underneath them to the right of the bike.

Scrap the cap!

I've got a set of silicone rubber O-rings from Aldi, was only a few euro for about 100, assorted sizes, if you know the size I can check if I have it. That's not to guarantee it'd be up to the job long term, but you never know.

Jesus man were you trying to take the whole bike apart? From the pics, the starter motor comes off with 2 bolts. No need to open the alternator cover, never mind camchain tensioner or coolant circuit. Hard to see why the carbs needed to come off, either, the starter is slim enough and should slide out underneath them to the right of the bike.

I don't know the size off hand. My best bet is to pick up the assorted kit in halfords tomorrow.
    It seems like a handy enough job to remove the starter motor but it was time consuming. The 2 bolts securing the starter are buried down beneath the CCT and coolant pipe. Trust me I pulled and tugged:eek: for a good half hour before removing the CCT and coolant pipe.
    The only thing I didn't need to remove was like you mentioned, the alternator cover. I only removed the alternator cover because I watched a you tube vid of a similar bike and on the bike he removed the cover to refit a chain over a sprocket. I now know my engine doesn't have this:o

Ill post a pic tomorrow of the starter motor in place to give a better idea of what I mean

Im going to change the coolant while im at it. I have to make sure the coolant is silicate free mix with distilled water 50/50 mix. Can someone point out which of these would be suitable?
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=coolant&catalogId=15551&action=listrefine&tabNo=1&categoryId=-1&langId=-1&storeId=11101&qcon=fh_location=%2F%2Fcatalog_15551%2Fen_IE%2F%24s%3Dcoolant%3Bt%3Ddefault&initMin=0&initMax=40

Ok I have the bike sorted. Fresh oil and coolant change done. I accidentally moved the idle pilot screw when removing the carbs so she is acting up a pit. She will start with choke fully on but if I knock the choke off it dies. I going to turn the pilot screw fully clockwise and then back a turn and a half and work from there.

That 175 pce O ring set is very handy and will serve me well in future jobs.
    I got Halfords own brand coolant silicate free and done a 50/50 mix. It was a different colour to the last coolant but I flushed out the old coolant well before refilling.

Thanks for all the info and advice lads:)

And it continues:mad: I wound the pilot screw home ( clockwise ) and turned it 2 1/2 rotations back as a starting point. I started the bike with the choke off and eventually had it idling at its recommended 1200 rpm.

The trouble is if I touch the choke the engine dies:confused: Any suggestions?

Actually there might not be a problem. I applied the choke when the engine was hot which according to Mr Google should cut the engine anyway. I start her from cold tomorrow and see how she fires.

Thats her sorted now. Started up no problem. Ill take her for fresh juice later:)

Advertisement