Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger barb query.

Options
  • 27-07-2014 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

I have a 180L aquarium. Water params are ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm & nitrates 10ppm. In this tank I have 4 green tiger barbs, 4 tiger barbs and 3 albino tiger barbs. All barbs are about 1 inch in size. Anyway, one of the tiger barbs is taking a real beating of late and it's fins have been nipped. I caught one of the green tiger barbs taking a lump out of her this morning. Any ideas on how best to deal with this situation? I am half thinking of taking of taking her out and putting her into another tank but she is going to have to live with the others in this tank eventually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Berserker wrote: »
    I have a 180L aquarium. Water params are ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm & nitrates 10ppm. In this tank I have 4 green tiger barbs, 4 tiger barbs and 3 albino tiger barbs. All barbs are about 1 inch in size. Anyway, one of the tiger barbs is taking a real beating of late and it's fins have been nipped. I caught one of the green tiger barbs taking a lump out of her this morning. Any ideas on how best to deal with this situation? I am half thinking of taking of taking her out and putting her into another tank but she is going to have to live with the others in this tank eventually.

Try to stock with single species only. i.e: a 11 fish shoal of tigers or whatever would be better than the mix you have right now.

I'd see about returning two of the types to the shop, and replace with more of the type you want to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Try to stock with single species only. i.e: a 11 fish shoal of tigers or whatever would be better than the mix you have right now.

I'd see about returning two of the types to the shop, and replace with more of the type you want to keep.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the three types of tiger barb would happily* shoal and live together, given that they are from the same family.

* Tiger barb happy I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thanks. I was under the impression that the three types of tiger barb would happily* shoal and live together, given that they are from the same family.

* Tiger barb happy I mean.

You'd think that, but it's often not the case.

I my own case, i have 8 of each of the julii/panda/bandit cory's i have.

Larger shoals (of the same type) weed out aggression.

Just an update and one further question on this. So the tiger barb pulled through fine after a little TLC. The tank is a happy place for all now, with the exception of some chasing.

A neighbour of mine, who recently found out that I have a tank, has one single adult rosy barb in a tank. He wants to find a new home for it and was asking me if I would be interested. The fish looks healthy, it's about 3 inches in size. How suitable would it be for my tank? I am concerned that the TBs would bully it and I don't want to upset things in the tank after working so hard to get peace and harmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

You need more fish. Tiger Barbs are like many of the Tetra species. You need to have them in my opinion in shoals of 8 minimum. I would remove two of the Tiger species and then bring the other up to 10-15 fish. 180L would easily sustain that number of Tigers and more.

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    You need more fish. Tiger Barbs are like many of the Tetra species. You need to have them in my opinion in shoals of 8 minimum. I would remove two of the Tiger species and then bring the other up to 10-15 fish. 180L would easily sustain that number of Tigers and more.

CruelCoin mentioned that to me before also and I discussed this with a staff member in Seahorse. He told me that they should all be ok once the pecking order is sorted out and to keep and eye on them and remove any injured fish to a separate tank and let them get recover. He said that they other TBs will attack the injured fish. The fish noted above is the only one that has ever been injured.

So, I followed that advice and all is ok with the split that I have. The fish above is the only fish that has ever had any damage. They all shoal around together now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CruelCoin mentioned that to me before also and I discussed this with a staff member in Seahorse. He told me that they should all be ok once the pecking order is sorted out and to keep and eye on them and remove any injured fish to a separate tank and let them get recover. He said that they other TBs will attack the injured fish. The fish noted above is the only one that has ever been injured.

So, I followed that advice and all is ok with the split that I have. The fish above is the only fish that has ever had any damage. They all shoal around together now.

Good to hear! Best of luck with the tank.

Advertisement