Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog worms

• 27-07-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I got my pup 2 weeks ago and the guy i bought him from said he was wormed and i believed him because his shots were up to date and he was microchiped . Everything was fine until i saw worms in his poop kind of like rice and they seemed dead so i brought him to the vet becos blood came out once and the vet gave me a tablet and said to give him 1/3 of it and the rest on august 10th. All seemed fine for a few day until today a huge worm came out in his poop, at least 3inchs long and again few hours later . And just now he went again and another long 1 but it was moving and there was loads of tiny white dots on da poop , what should i do? Bring him to vet again tomorrow? Im worried about him . He is 10 weeks old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Sounds like he was well riddled with worms & the vets medication is doing its job. He will need to be wormed again soon.

Where did you get him? I worm my bitch while pregnant & the puppies every 2 weeks from a couple of weeks old. Unfortunately some 'breeders' think worming once will do the job.

Just be very careful with hand washing, especially with children & don't let them play in the same area the puppy uses as a toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes the medication can take some time to work. Hygiene with this is really important because they can potentially pass to humans so wash your hands after touching him and maybe even wash down areas he plays in and his blankets etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I got him off donedeal in clare . I gave him another worm tablet today but my other pup after getting them ftom him now aswel and my gf brothers dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I got him off donedeal in clare . I gave him another worm tablet today but my other pup after getting them ftom him now aswel and my gf brothers dog

And what did the vet say when you went today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

rottie 11 wrote: »

You need to worm all your dogs at the same time. Also bring the vaccination card to the vet as he is very young to be fully vaccinated at 8 weeks. Sometimes dogs done early need a 3rd shot to fully protect them.

Hes not fully vacinated he is still due 1 shot at august 2nd . I meant his shots were up to date.

muddypaws wrote: »
    And what did the vet say when you went today?

He said its normal that the white dots was probably eggs or dead worms and he gave me a new tablet out that does worms and fleas . Will wait a few days now and hopefully he is fine

Hes not fully vacinated he is still due 1 shot at august 2nd . I meant his shots were up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donalmiller

Hi All,

Just tagging onto this post as I didn't know where to leave my post. Just to give you some background, I have a male Jug (cross between a Pug and a Jack Russell) 1year old and in general in great health. I worm him every second/third month etc. He has regular contact with other dogs and frequently holidays at my parents houses (2 days a week maybe), where there is a farm sheep dog (a bitch). We went on holidays for one week, left the dog at my parents houses. We are back around a week now, but the last two mornings the dog has made a considerable racket down stairs to alert me he wants to get out to do his business (he is so good, would never do anything inside). But on both occasions I was too late. I found this yellow, boil coloured substance on the floor. It looked like mashed potatoes!, and had no smell. Pity I can't upload a pic. When I opened the back kitchen door he ran for the patio door, this is where he always gets out into the garden to run around and do his business. I observed him then, he ate grass (sign of worms I know) and then he puked, the same stuff as I found in the back kitchen. Then he just came back over, I let him in and he is back in his basket now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Donal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi All,

Just tagging onto this post as I didn't know where to leave my post. Just to give you some background, I have a male Jug (cross between a Pug and a Jack Russell) 1year old and in general in great health. I worm him every second/third month etc. He has regular contact with other dogs and frequently holidays at my parents houses (2 days a week maybe), where there is a farm sheep dog (a bitch). We went on holidays for one week, left the dog at my parents houses. We are back around a week now, but the last two mornings the dog has made a considerable racket down stairs to alert me he wants to get out to do his business (he is so good, would never do anything inside). But on both occasions I was too late. I found this yellow, boil coloured substance on the floor. It looked like mashed potatoes!, and had no smell. Pity I can't upload a pic. When I opened the back kitchen door he ran for the patio door, this is where he always gets out into the garden to run around and do his business. I observed him then, he ate grass (sign of worms I know) and then he puked, the same stuff as I found in the back kitchen. Then he just came back over, I let him in and he is back in his basket now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Donal

Did he eat anything he shouldn't have? Eating grass doesn't defo mean worms it could mean he has an upset tummy. How is he in general. I would starve him today, make sure he can drink and he is himselfish. If he is still vomiting I would bring him to vet in the morning as he may need a shot and some medicine to stop vomiting. If he is ok tomorrow I would feed him chicken and rice :)that is what my own vet always tells us to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hi All,

What time in the evening are you feeding him? Some dogs will vomit up a yellow bile substance if they have an empty belly and morning time is the prime time for it to happen if he's going for a good stretch of the evening and through the night without being fed. I would give him perhaps a handful of food at bedtime to give him something to settle his stomach. If it's not the case then a trip to the vet may be in order.

Grass eating isn't a sign of worms, a dog may eat grass to speed up an intestinal upset, to either vomit up what is in the stomach, or speed up excreting it out. Some dogs love chewing on certain grasses or weeds because they like the taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Many dogs get an upset tummy if it's been too long since they last ate... which can be as little as 8 hours in my experience. A yellow (pigment of bile) frothy pool is a common sign, with the dog remaining in good form. Grass eating is simply to relieve the irritation to the stomach, and is unlikely to have anything to do with worms.

As Borderlinemeath says, a late meal will sort the problem out, if it doesn't then it's something more serious that the vet needs to see. All of my dogs have been affected by this at some stage, so much so that I now routinely feed them 3 times a day, their last meal just before they go to bed... that's not to say that they get more food! You do have to stick to the daily guideline amount!

Can I also clarify another point (sorry Millem!)... dogs should not be starved if they are vomiting or have diarrhoea, if they are willing to eat.
    Starving a sick dog was always the thing to do, but it has been since been found that starving the dog can adversely affect gut motility, prolonging recovery and making the dog feel worse.

DBB wrote: »
    Many dogs get an upset tummy if it's been too long since they last ate... which can be as little as 8 hours in my experience. A yellow (pigment of bile) frothy pool is a common sign, with the dog remaining in good form. Grass eating is simply to relieve the irritation to the stomach, and is unlikely to have anything to do with worms.

As Borderlinemeath says, a late meal will sort the problem out, if it doesn't then it's something more serious that the vet needs to see. All of my dogs have been affected by this at some stage, so much so that I now routinely feed them 3 times a day, their last meal just before they go to bed... that's not to say that they get more food! You do have to stick to the daily guideline amount!

Can I also clarify another point (sorry Millem!)... dogs should not be starved if they are vomiting or have diarrhoea, if they are willing to eat.
    Starving a sick dog was always the thing to do, but it has been since been found that starving the dog can adversely affect gut motility, prolonging recovery and making the dog feel worse.

Gosh DBB I am always always told by vet to starve them. He usually gives me that Prokolin paste, a few tins of that wet food and gives the dog an injection. In fact the last time was only in May :confused: my dogs will still eat when they are sick they are typical labs :) but always end up vomiting it back up :(

Millem wrote: »
    Gosh DBB I am always always told by vet to starve them. He usually gives me that Prokolin paste, a few tins of that wet food and gives the dog an injection. In fact the last time was only in May :confused: my dogs will still eat when they are sick they are typical labs :) but always end up vomiting it back up :(

I'd have been the same up until very recently too, but only in April or May my vet told me about the new research that has shown that continuing to feed them, as long as they want it, is the way to go.
    I *think* this info was first presented at a very recent dog-foody seminar in Ireland :)

DBB wrote: »
    I'd have been the same up until very recently too, but only in April or May my vet told me about the new research that has shown that continuing to feed them, as long as they want it, is the way to go.
    I *think* this info was first presented at a very recent dog-foody seminar in Ireland :)

I was thinking because my vet is amazing and is very up to date. The last sickness was just after our babies christening which was in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donalmiller

Hey All, I usually feed the dog twice a day. At around 7 am and then maybe 7:30 pm. He is extremely healthy and strong. It's only in the last few days he has started this behaviour. This morning I woke up to him banging on the back kitchen door (5 am), I ran straight down and opened the door. He sprinted for the patio door, I let him out and he went straight to eat grass and then puke up this stuff again. Maybe it's just a fashion, I'll bring him to the Vet tomorrow. Other than this he's in great form.

In which case, try feeding him before you go to bed.
    He's getting sick about ten hours after you feed him. For him, for many dogs, that's just too long to go without food.
    Try it tonight. You might save yourself a trip to the vet.

Advertisement