Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6 Kuwait

• 27-07-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know somebody going to Kuwait around the time of the iPhone 6 release. Seems like it'll work out a couple of hundred euro cheaper so I was looking into it. I was wondering though, if I bought a phone from a network in Kuwait (without a contract obviously) would I be able to use it here in Ireland or would I have to jailbreak and unlock?

Thanks in advance lads!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

none of us will know as the iPhone 6 doesn't exist yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

Oh I know nobody will know specific to the iPhone, I'm just curious if the trend in Kuwait is to sell the phones locked or unlocked. Say I bought an iPhone 5S from there, could I use it here? Chances are it'll be the same for the iPhone 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

According to this page on Apple.com, Kuwait has GSM networks like here, instead of the incompatible CDMA networks. So the answer is yes, but there are no Apple stores in Kuwait.

Edit: actually I'm stupid, the 5S supports GSM and CDMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Around the time of the iphone 6 release"

Pray tell, initiated one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

When I worked in Apple, back when Noah was messing around in a paddling pool, there was a reason why the stuff in the Middle East was dirt cheap. There is no warranty.........I kid you not. People bought iPods cheap out there, and Apple wouldn't touch them. I'd imagine it is still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

biko wrote: »
    "Around the time of the iphone 6 release"

Pray tell, initiated one.

Sorry, expected release, in September like the last 3 iPhones, was what I meant. That's not to say this iPhone will be the same but just trying to get informed, just incase.

Great so it would work on the networks here, I'll have to have a look into the whole sim-free issue.

Bought my current iPhone second hand so the warranty isn't a massive issue for me. Was there any specific reason Apple wouldn't go near them other than they were bought in the Middle East?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Don't forget that Apple stagger the release dates across countries. I don't see a date for Kuwait but the 5s was released in Dubsi in November. Typically the first wave countries are USA, China, UK, Germany, France and Japan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Goin90 wrote: »
    Sorry, expected release, in September like the last 3 iPhones, was what I meant. That's not to say this iPhone will be the same but just trying to get informed, just incase.

Great so it would work on the networks here, I'll have to have a look into the whole sim-free issue.

Bought my current iPhone second hand so the warranty isn't a massive issue for me. Was there any specific reason Apple wouldn't go near them other than they were bought in the Middle East?

Nope. Once we input the serial number into the system, conversation over. You couldn't even buy support or an APP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

For the last couple of releases, the Middle East got the devices months after the official USA release, phones that were available prior to the official ME release were US imports and bloody expensive.

As for the warrantee, i have purchased phones/Ipads in the middle east and taken them to the Apple stores either in Belfast or the USA for repair/replacement.

If you purchase the phone at full cost, they will be unlocked and will work in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

none of us will know as the iPhone 6 doesn't exist yet!

Of course it doesn't. It will be produced magically out of the ether by Apple in The last quarter of the year. We all know this because Apple do not use factories, logistics or engineers, their products are magic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement