Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to live in the Royal Canal Park, Ashtown in 2014?

• 27-07-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I know there was some issues with there not being enough facilities in the past but what's it like to live there now? I'm thinking of getting an apartment up there

which block areas should I avoid? is there much anti-social behaviour? how is internet/tv reception? please include as much as possible, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I used to live there. Overall, I really liked it. The apartments are good quality, there's a gym and good transport links to the city centre. Supervalu and Lidl a short drive away. We didn't have telly while we were there though as you couldn't have a dish and had no choice of what cable you got. <snip>. No thanks. UPC don't service the building. Some people had dishes, but if you're moving in now, you won't be allowed to get one. We had Eircom broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

zefcutie wrote: »
    I know there was some issues with there not being enough facilities in the past but what's it like to live there now? I'm thinking of getting an apartment up there

which block areas should I avoid? is there much anti-social behaviour? how is internet/tv reception? please include as much as possible, thanks!

Lived there for a year. Really liked it.
    Upside:
    Nice apartments, area is well kept.
    Very close to everything, on one side you have blanch shopping centre on the other is city centre.
    M50 literally 5 mins away.

Downside:
    We lived near the playground which attracted geniuses at night time. They were loud but kept to themselves.
    The traffic at Campbell's bridge can be a disaster but that will be sorted soon due to the new bridge over the railway.
    Pizza delivery men can never find you ;)

Over all a good place on my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zefcutie

Thank you! I'd seen some stuff about anti-social behaviour but those posts where back in 06/07, I know it could be a bit dodge with the canal around Summer with people drinking around there but all around it looks like a great place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Thank you! I'd seen some stuff about anti-social behaviour but those posts where back in 06/07, I know it could be a bit dodge with the canal around Summer with people drinking around there but all around it looks like a great place!

The canal between RCP and Ashtown is gorgeous. It's always really busy with walkers and cyclists. Avoid between RCP and Broombridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Whats this about not being able to get NTL?!?!? Im moving there shortly....

• Advertisement

don't you get to find out about TV reception before you move in? ps. what part are you moving to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 stockrookie

I have lived there for Two years and have since moved out and rented the property out to a young family

Pros :
    Close to the city center, Modern

Cons: The majority of the project is rented out, albeit to working people but there is a somewhat high percentage that is rented out to people on the dole who show little respect to the area, alot of foreigners aswell no harm in that but it seems the majority don't integrate with other families and speak little English

I moved because i don't want my children to grow up there as i predict alot of social issues for the area in the near future due to mass immigration

what year did you live there? x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 stockrookie

what year did you live there? x

2012-2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Kung Lao

Sorry to drag up and old thread here but didn't want to start a new one on the exact same topic. Thinking of looking at a place out here too. My biggest concern would be anti social behaviour or noisy neighbours as I saw this referred to in threads from 2008. What is the sound proofing like in these apartments? I can't stand living in a place where you can hear everything above you or next door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

Hi there
    I own and lived for 3 years in an apartment in RCP, Ashtown - lived there 7 years ago and I loved my time there. Good transport links, close to shops, cafe, and now pub, close to airport, hospitals etc, and now wont be a million miles away from the DIT complex in Grangegorman...

I never had an issue there - apartments are extremely sound proofed - only ever heard my neighbours front door close - I was a 2nd floor resident (ie 1 floor above me). Extremely efficient to heat (I seldom used the heaters, and I am a 'cold' person).

May be a couple of 'issues' re TV options - but never bothered me, and nor did I ever have an issue with Eircom BB - others may be available now.

All in all - great spot, well kept, and I never had an issue (nor do my tenants who have been there years)...

Maura

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mellowbird

I have a good friend who owes an apartment there for the last 8 years. Her car got burned 2 years ago when it was parked there and she has moved out since. She can't sell because of negative equity so she's renting it now. Maybe it was a once off bad luck incident but I would be afraid of that place because of what happened to my friend.

She saw a group of teenage boys hanging around looking menacingly at her when she got out of her car, there's no proof they did it but she thinks it was them.

Ive never noticed anything remotely anti social here and feel quite safe. Always people walking the canal. Im a professional and its a lovely family community kind of place, i love it here.

The sound proofing could be a bit better, but ive had way worse. The most annoying thing is when my neighbours open and close their door it sounds like my front door!

The place is very clean and well managed. Wish i could get NTL/Sky :(

Oh one VERY BAD thing... Dublin 15 is notorious for hard water. If you dye your hair the colour doesnt last long due to the lime. The hairdresser in Ashtown told me there are quite a few blondes that are actually green about the place! I've noticed my colour doesnt last long before fading and ive had to try several shampoos with little effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mellowbird wrote: »
    I have a good friend who owes an apartment there for the last 8 years. Her car got burned 2 years ago when it was parked there and she has moved out since. She can't sell because of negative equity so she's renting it now. Maybe it was a once off bad luck incident but I would be afraid of that place because of what happened to my friend.

She saw a group of teenage boys hanging around looking menacingly at her when she got out of her car, there's no proof they did it but she thinks it was them.

funny you say that as I had a mate more or less two years ago who had her car broken into in Ashtown, not in Royal Canal Park but in the apartments between the train station and RCP. It might have been just bad luck to be fair as they were living in the area for some time without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fleur.

Moved to Royal Canal Park recently. I need to get the train to work every day. .
    Would you recommend going to Broombridge station or Ashtown? Is it safe to walk to Broombridge? Ashtown takes an extra 10 minutes to walk by the canal. The canal is pitch dark in the evening which is scary! I didn't think of this when I moved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maceli

I notice this entry and not to start a new topic and keep repeating..
    I just saw the new houses in the royal canal and we (myself and husband) loved it, and it seems the area will grow.
    But as a family with a small baby, you can imagine the biggest issue is safety in particular if we'll live in a house.
    Could anyone let me know from they experience what is living in the area, if it is safe, family oriented.
    I read about some anti-social behaviour (including setting a car on fire). Is anti-social behaviour really a problem or something of the past? (I saw most of the posts dated back to 2010).
    Any help would be great.

I lived there last year I found it very safe and very family orientated. I would move back for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi, we have lived in a rented apartment for the past 6 years, in a development in a small village outside Dublin. All in all its a lovely place to live, have had to odd hassle with a neighbour or two over the years, nothing major at all, late night music that kind of thing, nothing you dont expect when living in an estate to be honest. We really like where we live, the rent is reasonable and are well settled in this location. A lot of the apartments in our block are rented/owned by long term tenants, everyone keeps themselves to themselves, but are all friendly all the same and say hi when you meet them.

One of the apartments has recently been put up for rent and rented out, it is located directly below us on the ground floor level, and we are on the second floor with first floor. It seemed to be a couple with a young child that moved in, which were were happy to see. However since they moved in we notice that a lot of people are calling to the house, and using our bin store for dumping their rubbish, so much so that the bin company are now refusing to collect the rubbish as there is so much stuff just dumped in the bin store like matresses, old prams etc. Then last week 2 horses appeared in the green area to the front of the apartment block and were there for 2 days, and seemed to below to these tenants.

Last night was heading off to bed at 11.30 when an almighty row broke out downstairs, there was at least 10 people underneath the windows roaring and shouting for over an hour, stuff been thrown from the apartment, cars speeding in and out, doors slamming, seemed to be a physical fight amount a number of men at one stage. I was home alone so obviously didnt want to get involved, I didnt know if calling the guards was appropriate, obviously you dont want to get involved in anyone elses domestic but this was a full on fight.

The tenants appear to be <mod snip> which I have no issue whatsoever with this, what I do have an issue with is fights outside at 12 oclock at night. My OH works shift work and often comes in and out at later hours after shifts, and I certainly dont want to think of him having to pass this (their apartment on the ground floor is right next to the main entrance door to the block), nor do I want to have to pass on my own either.

I was thinking my best bet is report this to the management company in the first instance? There is no residents association in the development but Im afraid if I dont say something about it now and it happens again. Or maybe Im best to put it down to a one off, but if it does happen again just call the guards.

Advertisement