Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cameras at Glen of the Downs

• 27-07-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Driving through GOTD earlier this week and noticed two cameras being installed .. They are both on northbound side, one facing northbound and one south - look like regular surveillance cameras or something, anyone know if they could be speed cameras?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Tomato wrote: »
    Driving through GOTD earlier this week and noticed two cameras being installed .. They are both on northbound side, one facing northbound and one south - look like regular surveillance cameras or something, anyone know if they could be speed cameras?

To me it looks like they're doing an average speed survey or something along those lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Could be traffic cameras for Dublin City Council, they run traffics reports and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

If they are speed cameras.... I regret that I will probably find out soon enough... :(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I doubt they are speed cameras as they look nothing like the standard fixed location speed cameras.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Traffic Cams for sure with all the recent accidents on that stretch, Speed Cameras are much Larger and Square.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Good to see, hopefully it will slow down a few of the "boy racers".
    I have seen a few quite a few of these muppets recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Traffic Cams for sure with all the recent accidents on that stretch, Speed Cameras are much Larger and Square.

That makes sense actually .. They don't look like speed cameras alright. I know someone who had a bad accident there a while back and it seems that fencing and the mobile signage has all gone up since too, so probably preventative measures. It can't but help.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Going south bound on that stretch and the amount of bumps and scrapes on the central concerete barrier is shocking..
    Car body shops must be making a mint down Wicklow way..!

Infairness it's a bend in the road is all, but least those cameras will help when someone runs out of talent and get medical help there quicker..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Going south bound on that stretch and the amount of bumps and scrapes on the central concerete barrier is shocking..
    Car body shops must be making a mint down Wicklow way..!

Infairness it's a bend in the road is all, but least those cameras will help when someone runs out of talent and get medical help there quicker..

They wont be monitored live at all times, they are just to observe peak time incidents and count usage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They need to extend the road lighting further into the bend so people can see that it bends considerably, its bright road lights then Darkness into a bend reflectors are nothing if you are unfamiliar with the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

They need to extend the road lighting further into the bend so people can see that it bends considerably, its bright road lights then Darkness into a bend reflectors are nothing if you are unfamiliar with the road.

That will, or should, never happen as it is a Nature Reserve.

Advertisement